300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SSG_MP View Post
    New Jersey Civil Service breaks there eligible lists down into 3 categories:
    Disabled Vet, Vet, and Non Vet. Regardless what you score on the exam (as long as you passed), Disabled Vets will be offered first, then Vets, then Non Vets. So if a Vet scored an 80 on the Law Enforcement Civil Service Test, and a Non Vet scored a 95, the Vet is supposed to be offered the job first, even though their were Non Vets that scored higher.

Anybody in Jersey took the last Civil Service Test? Have you seen how this works??
    I have. Basically they rank your test score based in the categories you said above. so if 4 DVs score in the 70s, 3 Vets score in the 80s and 5 NV score in the 90, the breakdown will be:

Spots 1-4 will be DV, in order of score.
    Spots 5-8 will be Vets, in order of score.
    Spots 9-13 will be NV, in order of score.

The rule of threes apply, but the hiring process is so simple that they hire based on if you wear a suit or not to the interview.

IMHO, NJ's system is a joke. I don't really think it's a smart thing to do, especially on the LE end of it. I have no problem with giving Vets a boost in score, but the "Absolute Veterans Preference" completely eliminates the qualified non-vets, especially at the low hiring standards NJ has. And i've seen some poor quality vets on these lists. It works sometimes, but most of the time the candidates are jokes, and are more "shoot first, ask questions later" as opposed to "wait a second, something isn't right here".

The same applies to the Fire test. But the state's preference on Volunteer Fire Service (already with training and experience) is pretty much eliminated, yet a Vet with no experience holding a hose is put to the top.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Vets. I respect them deeply. My Father is a Vet and feels the same way. I understand its overall purpose in hiring: You can't expect a vet to return from battle to resume their daily lives as if nothing has happened. So A Vet with a 90 should be hired first before a NV with a 90, and should be given up to 10 points on their final score. But hiring a Vet with the bare minimum being hired first as opposed to a NV with a perfect score and excellent qualifications is ridiculous.
    Last edited by sag227; 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• twenty some more what bigdawg? i hope you mean classes but something tells me that's not the case. is twenty even enough for a class? also, do you know anything about vermont? current conditions, needs, etc.?

Comment

• 24 will be a class, like it was in the past. The 48 person class are gone for a while. Not sure of where they will be assigned, probably most Southwest border. Things are really getting lean.
        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          There are few hard rules in regards to qualifying for a GS-07, and a 4 year degree only minimally qualifies someone as a GS-05.

Lots of qualified folks never get offered 07's because they do a poor job of writing relevant quals for the position. Further, there are always a limited number of 7's to be handed out. Some people aren't offered 7's because none are available come offering time.

I only applied as a GS-5 and they qualified me as a GS-7. I did not write anything on my application to obtain a GS-7. I have 2 B.S. degress and past work experience but I did not even attempt to apply for a GS-7. Why did they qualify me as a GS-7?
          Last edited by waitingny; 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Ugh!

Bigdawg,

"24 will be a class, like it was in the past. The 48 person class are gone for a while. Not sure of where they will be assigned, probably most Southwest border. Things are really getting lean."

24 people x 15 rumored classes = 360 Officers (I don't like this math).

Lean is an understatement.

Thek9
            Last edited by Thek9; 02-19-2010, 09:57 AM. Reason: Punctuation!
            Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
            Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
              You should not think of TSU as a line, but more of a grouping. Vets get preference, re-hire federal employees get preference, displaced current employees get preference. There are LOTS of groups that would jump ahead in any Geographic area.
              There are going to be about 20 some more for various ports. That will be about all this Quarter. Best of luck!
              20 recruits hired for the this quarter?

Comment

• Just got off the phone with TSU, they are now hiring by your T.O. date and not your TSU date! They just hired people with late 07 and early 08 TO date's.
                Mine is May 4 08, this make's more sense! Only because the person that got a TO after me and did all of their test and for some reason went faster through the process.
                would not get to jump in front of us waiting longer, i think this is a MUCH better way to get all of us waiting for so long in FLETC.

Getting closer!!! HPPD48
                Last edited by HPPD#48; 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Forgot to add that they are hiring all over and not just SW Border. She also said that they have hired some for Mich but that's all she knew.

Comment

• Originally posted by HPPD#48 View Post
                    Just got off the phone with TSU, they are now hiring by your T.O. date and not your TSU date! They just hired people with late 07 and early 08 TO date's.
                    Mine is May 4 08, this make's more sense! Only because the person that got a TO after me and did all of their test and for some reason went faster through the process.
                    would not get to jump in front of us waiting longer, i think this is a MUCH better way to get all of us waiting for so long in FLETC.

Getting closer!!! HPPD48
                    I am not sure if this is good news or bad news. I am at the front of the line with my TSU date and have no idea where I am with my T.O. date.

Comment

• Originally posted by HPPD#48 View Post
                      Just got off the phone with TSU, they are now hiring by your T.O. date and not your TSU date! They just hired people with late 07 and early 08 TO date's.

Getting closer!!! HPPD48
                      yup, I just called TSU to confirm. They do not use TSU date anymore, it's your T.O. date.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                        yup, I just called TSU to confirm. They do not use TSU date anymore, it's your T.O. date.
                        So I guess Anthony's TSU list should become Anthony's TO list. Poor Anthony.

Comment

• SWEAT...I'm NOV 2007..lol.

They have been on me non stop to find out when ill be back in the states to do the poly. Had to place it on hold for a few mo's until my return....
                          Good news thow.
                          "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• Originally posted by MP-K-9 View Post
                            SWEAT...I'm NOV 2007..lol.

They have been on me non stop to find out when ill be back in the states to do the poly. Had to place it on hold for a few mo's until my return....
                            Good news thow.
                            Good luck with the poly. I didn't know who I was afterward.
                            TO: 4/09/09
                            Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                            TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                              Uh Oh. I'm 01/30 for TO dates.

Since most of us have the exact same T.O. date, I think that this is a way for them to hire all of the GS-05's before 7's. Additionally, it gives them a greater ability to hire based on cost/quality of applicant.

This is most likely a bad thing for those of us who qualified as GS-07,went into TSU shortly after T.O., or are not veterans - like me. I am starting to really get the feeling thaty I'm not meant for the job.
                              CBPO
                              GEO - NY/JFK
                              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                              PE Forms - Completed
                              Fitness - Completed
                              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                              Drug Screen - Completed
                              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                              TSU

EOD: ???
                              FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                                Uh Oh. I'm 01/30 for TO dates.

Since most of us have the exact same T.O. date, I think that this is a way for them to hire all of the GS-05's before 7's. Additionally, it gives them a greater ability to hire based on cost/quality of applicant.

This is most likely a bad thing for those of us who qualified as GS-07,went into TSU shortly after T.O., or are not veterans - like me. I am starting to really get the feeling thaty I'm not meant for the job.
                                This has been bad news for me. I was at the beginning of the TSU line; I have been in TSU almost 11 months and in the hiring process for almost 3 years. The woman at TSU told me I am no longer close to the front of the line. I have been bumped, as I am sure many of us have been. This is going to be great news for some and really bad news for others. The woman said everyday new people enter TSU with T.O. dates before mine, and then add the many that already had T.O. dates before me and were already in TSU. You add this to the slow hiring and this just killed the hiring process for many of us and for others it will be the best thing. The people who jumped me in line had T.O.’s from 2007 and early 2008 which beat my T.O. of mid 2008. This is actually going to hurt a lot of us.
                                If you have a T.O. in 2009 things are worse because there are so many with 2007 and mostly 2008 T.O.s

After almost 3 years in the hiring process for CBP, all the re-testing, all the crap, to be pushed out another 2-3 years or more is devastating. You should have heard the woman from TSU, it killed her to tell me how far I had been bumped. I could tell by her tone that it was bad.

Everything for me is current, but things will begin to expire again and I will have to re-test or re-do paper work again. I don’t know if I have it in me. It looks as if CBP is not going to happen for me, unless I am willing to wait another 3 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8844 users online. 339 members and 8505 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X