Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks guys. Good to know. I was in Lavalette which, I must say, seemed like a more up-scale area of The Shore. I usually respect law enforcement in all its forms, but these cops were real jerks. I paid the fine as soon as I came home and that was the end of it. But, it pained me to have to write that check because some local PD knuckle draggers wanted to give a few nerds from DC a hard time.
    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Yeah, if USSS does not care about it, you can pretty much gurantee that CBP isn't going to either.

Comment

• Originally posted by PL07 View Post
        Yeah, if USSS does not care about it, you can pretty much gurantee that CBP isn't going to either.
        That is true. I am a little disappointeed by that fact, though. I really wish that CBP would hold its officers to the same standard that Secret Service does. I am hoping that the agency is moving toward that point.
        "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
          Thanks guys. Good to know. I was in Lavalette which, I must say, seemed like a more up-scale area of The Shore. I usually respect law enforcement in all its forms, but these cops were real jerks. I paid the fine as soon as I came home and that was the end of it. But, it pained me to have to write that check because some local PD knuckle draggers wanted to give a few nerds from DC a hard time.
          Man, get over it.

You know the area. You know what they have to deal with there. They do not "know," you.

Use it as a learning experience. And move on. As you know, alcohol on the beach there=ticket.

And knuckle draggers? Not cool. For a potential Fed. Remember who your friends are/will, be...

Comment

• Originally posted by ford123 View Post
            Man, get over it.

You know the area. You know what they have to deal with there. They do not "know," you.

Use it as a learning experience. And move on. As you know, alcohol on the beach there=ticket.

And knuckle draggers? Not cool. For a potential Fed. Remember who your friends are/will, be...
            Not to get into anything here because I think that this thread has seen enough stupid arguing lately, but...

I did not "know" the area. It was my first time there. I spend summers on Cape Cod and have more than a few times been caught by the cops hanging out and drinking on the beach with friends. All they ever did to us was make us dump the booze and walk back to our houses. At worst, they gave us a stern talking to. Frankly, I think that is all that needs to happen. Don't cops have bigger fish to fry? Certainly in Jersey. I saw half a dozen bar fights that spilled out to the street over that weekend.

As I said, I have respect for law enforcement. Hell, I wouldn't want to be a cop if I didn't. But these guys (one legitimate sworn officer and two police explorers) were giving us a really hard time about it. These guys were super badge-heavy. Disrespectful and unprofessional. I could understand if I was drunk or if it was a bottle of Jack Daniels they caught me with and not and empty can of PBR. My friend Charlie whose house we were staying at said that kids got caught hanging out drinking all the time and just got sent home.

So, I am certainly over it and have been over it since I paid the citation. But, I don't want such a stupid incident to come back to bite me. As it has been mentioned, MHC is looking for excuses to thin out the TSU lounge.
            Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 02-17-2010, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good to know. I was in Lavalette which, I must say, seemed like a more up-scale area of The Shore. I usually respect law enforcement in all its forms, but these cops were real jerks. I paid the fine as soon as I came home and that was the end of it. But, it pained me to have to write that check because some local PD knuckle draggers wanted to give a few nerds from DC a hard time.
              The "knuckle dragger" comment is a bit much. You don't know how that department runs. Maybe the officer was really a cool, guy, but the dept wants 100% enforcement on that kind of thing.

That aside, you should blame it on "The Situation and Snookie" if it comes up in a BI.

Comment

I do have a real question for you guys. I am anticipating being pulled from TSU soon to do my BI update. I am a little nervous about it because last summer I got a $150 citation in New Jersey for having an open alcohol container at the beach after hours. Normally this wouldnt worry me but I have a bad feeling that HQ is just looking for reasons to take people out of consideration for the job. My questions are:

1) Do you think that the citation will be cause for removal from consideration?

2) If I am removed is there an opportunity to appeal it or explain what happened?

Truth be told, the incident was perfectly innocent. It was really just a wrong place wrong time scenario. I drank my beer in my friend's beach house and neglected to throw it out before we went down to the beach. I was not at all intoxicated. When the cops found us there they saw me with the can, tipped it upside down and a swallow of beer came out. These cops were real jerks and seem to revel in giving me and my friends (a pack of geeks) a real hard time. We obviously were their excitement for the night. So I got a citation and had to pay it. It wasn't worth traveling all the way back to the Shore at a later date to fight it. I explained it all to my interviewer at SSUD and he said it wasn't a huge deal and I hoping CBP will feel the same way.
                I had an open container and it was not a big deal. I was at a festival in a small town. Open Container law was suspended for Friday / Saturday so people could walk around during the festival. Later that night we were at a bar and everyone was outside on the sidewalk talking and of course drinking. At 12:05, a group of local cops came around the corner and cited everyone outside. Turns out the city ordinance went back in to effect at 12:01 am on Sunday. Allowed small town to collect tax revenue on alcohol sales and at 12:01 citation revenues. Kind of like a small town speed trap for beer. Explained it and that was that. Of course mine was almost 10 years ago.
                CBPO East Texas
                TO: 3/3/09
                Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                TSU: 8/27/09
                FCRA: 05/19/10
                BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakic View Post
                  The "knuckle dragger" comment is a bit much. You don't know how that department runs. Maybe the officer was really a cool, guy, but the dept wants 100% enforcement on that kind of thing.
                  You're right. Throwing around insults isn't really my style and it was uncalled for. But these guys were really unprofessional. Cursing at us, making us put our hands on our heads, checking all of our info for warrants, etc. It was some serious showboating. Even the neighbors who were rubbernecking came over and were like "Wow, I have never seen them do that." and "What a bunch of ***holes."

I wish I could show you guys a picture from that weekend. 5 geeky guys in polo shirts and shorts without our shoes talking about politics and finance. We were clearly not menaces to society. Of the five of us, two are law students at tier one schools, one is a VP at a prominent DC consulting firm, one is in DC MPD academy, and then there's me. Haha.
                  Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• I can dig it. There will always be those types in law enforcement. Big city, small town, they all have them.

It's unfortunate that you had to run into one of them.

Comment

Not to get into anything here because I think that this thread has seen enough stupid arguing lately, but...

I did not "know" the area. It was my first time there. I spend summers on Cape Cod and have more than a few times been caught by the cops hanging out and drinking on the beach with friends. All they ever did to us was make us dump the booze and walk back to our houses. At worst, they gave us a stern talking to. Frankly, I think that is all that needs to happen. Don't cops have bigger fish to fry? Certainly in Jersey. I saw half a dozen bar fights that spilled out to the street over that weekend.

As I said, I have respect for law enforcement. Hell, I wouldn't want to be a cop if I didn't. But these guys (one legitimate sworn officer and two police explorers) were giving us a really hard time about it. These guys were super badge-heavy. Disrespectful and unprofessional. I could understand if I was drunk or if it was a bottle of Jack Daniels they caught me with and not and empty can of PBR. My friend Charlie whose house we were staying at said that kids got caught hanging out drinking all the time and just got sent home.

So, I am certainly over it and have been over it since I paid the citation. But, I don't want such a stupid incident to come back to bite me. As it has been mentioned, MHC is looking for excuses to thin out the TSU lounge.
                      Ok. Well, you have some idea what the area is like. But let's move on.

I was not getting on you about anything...Far from it. Just giving a little advice.

I had my experiences also. They are far and few between. Like the time I received a speeding ticket. (a long time ago) I was not pleased with the way it was handled..But that is that.

They were cracking down on the usual ***hats that are down there..And you got caught up in it. It is over.

I seriously doubt it will have any bearing on you being hired, as long as you are up front about it. Don't worry about it, and good luck!

Comment

You're right. Throwing around insults isn't really my style and it was uncalled for. But these guys were really unprofessional. Cursing at us, making us put our hands on our heads, checking all of our info for warrants, etc. It was some serious showboating. Even the neighbors who were rubbernecking came over and were like "Wow, I have never seen them do that." and "What a bunch of ***holes."

I wish I could show you guys a picture from that weekend. 5 geeky guys in polo shirts and shorts without our shoes talking about politics and finance. We were clearly not menaces to society. Of the five of us, two are law students at tier one schools, one is a VP at a prominent DC consulting firm, one is in DC MPD academy, and then there's me. Haha.
                        It is no big deal just explain what happened. I would leave all of the descriptions of the officer you have used on this board out of it.

That being said if you get the job. You will be taught it doesn't matter what the person that you are dealing with looks like you have to see their hands all the time. You will not deal with a person you suspect of a customs or immigration violation and not run their info for warrants and past history. I can't speak for the language cause I wasn't there. From your description it was one officer and two explorers, which means the officer was outnumbered 5 to 1 he doesn't know you or your occupations, which by the way your occupations don't mean a whole lot. If it was me you bet I would want to know where all your hands were.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                          It is no big deal just explain what happened. I would leave all of the descriptions of the officer you have used on this board out of it.

That being said if you get the job. You will be taught it doesn't matter what the person that you are dealing with looks like you have to see their hands all the time. You will not deal with a person you suspect of a customs or immigration violation and not run their info for warrants and past history. I can't speak for the language cause I wasn't there. From your description it was one officer and two explorers, which means the officer was outnumbered 5 to 1 he doesn't know you or your occupations, which by the way your occupations don't mean a whole lot. If it was me you bet I would want to know where all your hands were.

FB
                          I know what you're saying, but I just disagree. I only bring up occupation because it should attest to what kind of people I was with. Numereous police officers I know have told me that half their job is instinct and if these cops had any instinct at all they would have known that we were harmless. By beef is why would they treat people like me and my friends with such suspicion and hostility when, from what I hear, they frequently let other violators off the hook. My feeling is that these guys saw an opportunity to throw their weight around and try and scare some out of town stiffs. Were they doing their jobs? Yes, I don't deny that. But using phrases like "Keep your f*cking hands where I can see them" and "Look me in the eyes when you're answering my questions or I will crack you in the f*cking head" is completely unnecessary. They also kept telling us that we knew rules of the beach and that they were posted on boards at the entry path. However, there were no such boards where we were.

Anyway, I don't think it will end up mattering too much. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me on their behavior I appreciate the input.

Comment

Breaks? No such luck.

1) Do you think that the citation will be cause for removal from consideration?

2) If I am removed is there an opportunity to appeal it or explain what happened?
                            If you already had a "cleared" BI they will run your credit and/maybe a criminal check... that's it!...
                            Ticket for Open container at the beach is far from a FELONY and will not show up. If they ever do a Full Investigation on you again it might show up and you will have to explain what happened.

As for the argument about conduct of officers or the type of violation....
                            If you know that it is a VIOLATION to drink beer at the beach, WHY do it?
                            Maybe the Officer and his Explorers had a bad attitude, but there are always officers like that everywhere.
                            Look at it this way, if you and your buddies weren't drinking at the beach it wouldn't have happened... Don't be so quick to judge the officer for giving you a citation for something you knew you were doing wrong....
                            My $.02
                            As for it coming up on the BI re-fresh, don't worry!
                            Last edited by yoda; 02-17-2010, 01:59 AM.
                            CBPO
                            Written: 08/29/2007
                            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

I know what you're saying, but I just disagree. I only bring up occupation because it should attest to what kind of people I was with. Numerous police officers I know have told me that half their job is instinct and if these cops had any instinct at all they would have known that we were harmless. By beef is why would they treat people like me and my friends with such suspicion and hostility when, from what I hear, they frequently let other violators off the hook. My feeling is that these guys saw an opportunity to throw their weight around and try and scare some out of town stiffs. Were they doing their jobs? Yes, I don't deny that. But using phrases like "Keep your f*cking hands where I can see them" and "Look me in the eyes when you're answering my questions or I will crack you in the f*cking head" is completely unnecessary. They also kept telling us that we knew rules of the beach and that they were posted on boards at the entry path. However, there were no such boards where we were.

Anyway, I don't think it will end up mattering too much. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me on their behavior I appreciate the input.
                              As I said if you get the job and the training that goes with it you will better understand. Occupation means nothing especially when alcohol is involved. Their are many LEO's killed every year by people with "respectable" occupations. Their "instincts" were certainly not correct or they would still be here. As soon as you start being complacent and take things at face value at best you will miss violations at worse you will get hurt. I will again point out that the explorers do not count in this situation. This means it was 5 vs 1 if the situation went south. He may have felt being outnumbered that he had make sure his point was understood. Unfortunately that sometimes translates into less then pretty language. I am not saying that it is right but many times is very effective.

FB

Comment

• If you break the rules, you run the risk of getting into trouble. When you get into trouble, don't blame the police.

Everyone breaks rules all day long, but most people when caught just say "ah, you got me - have a nice day officer"
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14566 users online. 415 members and 14151 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X