300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
    For those of you who remember me I graduated from FLETC. (From another agency) I am checking in for one last time. FLETC was a ghost town, hardly any CBPO's in training. Maybe one or two classes, all southern border guys. I spoke with a CBP instructor one day at the gym, he said he did not even know when the next class was. He said many of the instructors have moved on to other jobs within CBP. He was also looking to jump ship. The numbers were down for everyone, at least that's what I was told. I thought by now I would have heard something from CBP, not a word. I am happy where I am so no complaints. It looks like it's going to be a long wait, hang in there, good luck!
    ifocbp signing off.
    thanks.. next time tell us something we already dont know and havent heard 1000 times... lol j/k thanks for the update
    CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by NIKKIinBUFFALO View Post
      Thanks, that does make since.
      yeah its called common sense... or is it common "since"?lol
      CBPO

Comment

• Does the new announcement that Janet Napolitano made about reinforcing security on the ports
        helps or is just more work for the guys on the job? I hope they call some people in tsu!

Comment

• Originally posted by Federalyhood View Post
          Does the new announcement that Janet Napolitano made about reinforcing security on the ports
          helps or is just more work for the guys on the job? I hope they call some people in tsu!
          Got a link for the story? Port Security in it's raw form really isn't CBP's primary job, so I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference. The Coast Guard and TSA are the lead for port security and most of the actual work is done either through a LE origination like a Port Authority or through contracted security companies.

Comment

• On cbp.gov front page it reads "secretary Napolitano announces enhanced screening measures for cargo arriving at US sea ports, and is dated January 27 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by Federalyhood View Post
              On cbp.gov front page it reads "secretary Napolitano announces enhanced screening measures for cargo arriving at US sea ports, and is dated January 27 2010.
              That's just talking about the 10+2 rule, which is all about the collection of information pertaining to inbound shipments. Nothing to do with CBPO staffing levels.

Comment

• Great...does anyone knows if they need people in FL all other? I just need some hope...lol

Comment

• Does anyone here know any CBPOs at Dulles? I really want to know from someone "boots on the ground" when the last time was that they recieved/requested new officers. Send me a PM if you have an email address or anything.
                  "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Most ports are in need of officers. I know from personal contact with officers that two of the ports I am interested in are very much in need of officers. That being said, management has passed down only SB EODs, so no sense in worrying about need until they open up the rest of the country.
                    CBPO East Texas
                    TO: 3/3/09
                    Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                    Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                    Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                    VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                    Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                    Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                    BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                    TSU: 8/27/09
                    FCRA: 05/19/10
                    BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Quick question.....I just checked CASS and saw that my background and pre-employment forms are expired. I know recently that my FCRA form had lapsed. I just re-sent that last week. A couple weeks ago, it was only the background that expired. Anyone have this happen before? Anyone know what else may have expired? This is frustrating! I thought the President said they were not gonna cut funding for national security?
                      Geo Area: SFO/OAK
                      Written: 08/23/08- 92 (87+5)
                      NOR: 09/2008
                      TO: 09/25/08
                      Medical/Physical:10/08,09/09,10/09
                      Drug Test: 11/2008
                      Oral Board: 12/03/08
                      BI: 03/12/2009 (Initiated 10/2008)
                      Qualifications: 03/17/09
                      Referred to TSU:03/19/09

IEA Agent
                      Geo Area: San Francisco County
                      Written:05/26/09
                      T.O.:08/28/09
                      Pre-Employment Forms Sent To DSC: 09/11/09
                      Medical/Fitness:11/02/09
                      Interview:PASSED on 11/16/09

Comment

• Originally posted by anthony30 View Post
                        yeah its called common sense... or is it common "since"?lol
                        Is this supposed to be a correction of my post.... or making fun of it....?

If so my bad.... next time I will get my personal English professor that I keep on standby to read and correct my "NON-FORMAL POST" just for you.

Didn't know I was being graded.
                        Exam - July 2008
                        NOR - Aug 2008
                        T.O. - Dec 2008
                        Background Completed - March 2009
                        TSU - April 22 2009
                        FCRA - March 2010
                        Drivers License Form - May 2010
                        Back in TSU - June 15 2010
                        Poly - January 2011
                        2nd BI - May 2011 (Still waiting on the little green check)

Comment

• Originally posted by Burrell707 View Post
                          Quick question.....I just checked CASS and saw that my background and pre-employment forms are expired. I know recently that my FCRA form had lapsed. I just re-sent that last week. A couple weeks ago, it was only the background that expired. Anyone have this happen before? Anyone know what else may have expired? This is frustrating! I thought the President said they were not gonna cut funding for national security?

I'll bite.

What relationship is there between the President not cutting Homeland security funding and applicants who have their pre-employment steps expire?

Whatever the reason(s), CBP is not hiring in great numbers at the moment. If I was to guess, I'd say one or a combination of the following reasons are likely:

1: They could be looking to reduce slightly the total number of CBPOs. Not hiring new people is the easiest way to go about a minor reduction.
                          2: They could be looking to tweak the Academy training more. They have a recent history of tweaking past classes. The fewer classes they have in training at the moment, the easier it is to make 'Guinea pigs" out of the trainees.
                          3: They could be waiting to the last minute in an effort to see what effects 12D coverage and the upcoming GS-12 upgrades have on retention and attrition. Hiring at the barest number of 2010 CBPOs and bringing them on at last minute gives them more time to figure out how many new hires they really need in the next 18 months.

What ever the reason(s) for the current hiring slowdown, I doubt funding plays much of a part in it. The 2010 budget has been long approved.

Comment

• As much as it sucks that none of us have gotten the infamous "call," it's comforting to read this thread an know that I'm not the only one. I've been referred to the scheduling unit since 9/28/09. How long have other guys been waiting?

Hopefully, I'll meet some of you in the academy. Until then, good luck to us all.

Also, the sense I'm getting is that Southern border ports are hiring more quickly. I'm in line for San Diego. Anyone an officer there? or in the process that has info?
                            Last edited by westcoast; 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM.
                            CBP Officer
                            Written- Feb. 09
                            Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
                            Physical- Apr. 09
                            Medical- May 09
                            Medical Update- Jul. 09
                            Background Investigation- Aug. 09
                            Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
                            Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
                            Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

• Originally posted by westcoast View Post
                              Also, the sense I'm getting is that Southern border ports are hiring more quickly.
                              I don't know that quickly is exactly the word I would use. Currently the only hiring occurring is for Southern Border positions. The class sizes and frequency are still pretty minimal. So while the SB positions are hiring faster than the rest of the country, with a Sept 09 TSU date, you probably still have a decent wait ahead of you.
                              CBPO East Texas
                              TO: 3/3/09
                              Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                              Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                              Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                              VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                              Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                              Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                              BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                              TSU: 8/27/09
                              FCRA: 05/19/10
                              BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Just cause I LOVE rumors, I heard that the academy is being moved to Artesia. I have nothing to support this, but I do know we are doing more CBPO/BPA combined classes at the ATC and Charleston. This goes with the combining the two job functions.

Just a new rumor.....talk among yourselves.
                                Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3044 users online. 176 members and 2868 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X