300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
    LOL! I know everyone is trying to get a job, but some of you really need to chill out. The calls will come when they come. There are guys on the job now who had a process of 1-3 years, while others got hired in 6 months. No one pulled the wool over any eyes. You think you have it rough? Talk to some that have been in the process for ICE SA, DUSM, USSS SA or UD. Some of those guys and gals have waited up to 4 years. The gov't does not hire quickly. They're gonna have hiring booms and hiring slowdowns. It's just the nature of the beast. Many ports are short on man power, but it's up to the guys at HQ to authorize it. Don't put your life on hold. Be patient and trust me your call will come.
    Easier said than done, my friend. I understand that it takes time, but I have really been strung along in this process. I applied for the ejob because I was told at the CBP job fair that positions needed to be filled immediately. Well, I got to TSU in May and nothing happened in the two months I was told to wait patiently. Then, I stayed unemployed the entire summer of '09 because I was operating on the advice from a lady at TSU who told me to expect and EOD by the end of August. August came around and I heard nothing. Then, I came home from DC to MA to wait things out because I was told by a friend at HQ that EOD's would come after the holidays. Well, here we are in January and now I am hearing that hiring for '10 will focus on the Southern border.

I haven't put all my eggs in the CBP basket necessarily because I do have applications out with DC MPD, Capitol Police, and Secret Service UD, but I did get through the process for CBP first and obviously expected to get an EOD for CBP first before anything else. After being out of school since January '09 and out of work since February '09 (I had to leave my student position at USCIS), I think I have been pretty patient and done a pretty good job of shrugging off all the false assurances of EODs I've gotten.
    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Lamp, I know all too well what you're going through. Have faith brotha. Things are constantly in flux with the G and especially DHS. This month FAMS and Intel are the main priority. Who knows what will be next. Bottom line is the calls will go out eventually. They have to because the agency really does need the man power. Don't let the rumor mill get you down. Thing can change at the drop of a hat.
      Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

LOL! I know everyone is trying to get a job, but some of you really need to chill out. The calls will come when they come. There are guys on the job now who had a process of 1-3 years, while others got hired in 6 months. No one pulled the wool over any eyes. You think you have it rough? Talk to some that have been in the process for ICE SA, DUSM, USSS SA or UD. Some of those guys and gals have waited up to 4 years. The gov't does not hire quickly. They're gonna have hiring booms and hiring slowdowns. It's just the nature of the beast. Many ports are short on man power, but it's up to the guys at HQ to authorize it. Don't put your life on hold. Be patient and trust me your call will come.
        Exactly. Just because you have applied for a job, does not mean you will be hired. I got on in 2001. I had a two year wait...I was happy when they called, but went on with my life like they were never going to call.

Comment

Yeah, its a pain in the butt. The scene in Donnie Brasco that I quoted is pretty funny. If you want to be cheered up, watch the movie until the part where Lefty gets the tiger and they get him 20 burgers. (the pulling the wool over the eyes is also a Donnie Brasco reference).

A friend of mine knows the whole ordeal with getting this job and told me I should get my real estate agent exam done and work with her. Who knows, maybe I'll do that in my spare time for the extra cash flow, collectively we'd have 5-6 languages between us and could make things happen hypothetically.

I failed part of the State test yesterday because I wasn't watching the clock, so back to waiting for TSU.
          Last edited by sandwichman; 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM.
          CBP written test Miami, FL
          11/10/2007
          NOR letter 01/16/2008
          VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
          Forms 6/2/2009 completed
          Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
          9/4/2009
          Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
          drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
          TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
          never got first)
          qualifications completed
          BI interview 9/30/2009
          BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
          poly: Mar 2011
          updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
          BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

Lamp, I know all too well what you're going through. Have faith brotha. Things are constantly in flux with the G and especially DHS. This month FAMS and Intel are the main priority. Who knows what will be next. Bottom line is the calls will go out eventually. They have to because the agency really does need the man power. Don't let the rumor mill get you down. Thing can change at the drop of a hat.
            Thanks, man. Doing my best. Some days are easierer than others. Haha.
            "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• For those saying “Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket”...

Unfortunately, for some of us, especially those from New Jersey, CBP is our only egg to put in the basket. Unlike most states, the entire state of NJ is made up of incorporated municipalities, most of which are 2-5 square miles and have a police forces of 20-30 men. They each have their own tests, which can run from $75 - $150 for the written portion alone. That does not include physical test and interview, which can run even more. Over the years I have spent upward to $1,000 on police tests, to which I do not come close to being called in for a second interview. These departments usually know who they want to hire (The dispatcher) and they charge a ton of money for tests to pay for his police academy. And the Vet preference here is asinine: a person can have the best score among the testers, but still come several places behind and not even called at all because a Vet who scored a 70 is given the top spot. Don’t get me started about State Civil Service: The best I have ever gotten was a county corrections cert on a 92 score, and which I had to turn that down due to [email protected]#!^ I saw down there with the staff and fellow recruits.

I have just recently looked going to Federal, and am quite happy I did. CBP’s process (up until now) has been pleasurable. I am happy that the federal looks highly upon B.A. graduates, and pays a significant amount more in salary, which is 100% more than what NJ departments pay. I tested with Federal Probation, FAMs, and applied to ATF and Park Rangers, and have gotten pretty far. But due to the “current economic climate” there are no openings or lost out to a better candidate. So all I am left with is an egg in CBP and an egg in FAMs.

I was laid off from my job, and currently working various part time jobs, and scanning through USAJOBS and NJ CSC website. I am currently barely making ends meet, and trying to start my career, which seems to be one monkey wrench thrown in after another.

So excuse me and the rest of us on here who are trying to find one glimpse of hope on when hiring will begin, because the hand we were dealt may not as good as the hand you were. So here I am, waiting, praying that this Christmas’s incident will put Homeland Security back into the Government’s spotlight, and that hiring for these formentioned agencies will pick up.

Comment

• Well said.
                Written Test: 3/08
                NOR: 4/08
                TO: 4/08
                Medical: 4/08
                Fitness: 6/08
                VBT: 6/08
                Met with investigator: 10/08
                Received NOPA: 11/08
                Won appeal: 3/09
                TSU: 4/23/09 (Michigan) pulled in May for fitness
                New fitness: 7/28/09
                Back in TSU: 8/3/09

Comment

• Anyone who is out of work and waiting for CBP might want to give TSA a shot. The starting pay is between $29,000-$43,000 a year with all the Federal health and retirement benefits. When CBP calls go out everything transfers over. There is no way getting around it, working for TSA sucks. But it's a job and it will pay the bills and help you get by until CBP picks up again.

Comment

• Originally posted by sag227 View Post
                    For those saying “Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket”...

Unfortunately, for some of us, especially those from New Jersey, CBP is our only egg to put in the basket. Unlike most states, the entire state of NJ is made up of incorporated municipalities, most of which are 2-5 square miles and have a police forces of 20-30 men. They each have their own tests, which can run from $75 - $150 for the written portion alone. That does not include physical test and interview, which can run even more. Over the years I have spent upward to $1,000 on police tests, to which I do not come close to being called in for a second interview. These departments usually know who they want to hire (The dispatcher) and they charge a ton of money for tests to pay for his police academy. And the Vet preference here is asinine: a person can have the best score among the testers, but still come several places behind and not even called at all because a Vet who scored a 70 is given the top spot. Don’t get me started about State Civil Service: The best I have ever gotten was a county corrections cert on a 92 score, and which I had to turn that down due to [email protected]#!^ I saw down there with the staff and fellow recruits.

I have just recently looked going to Federal, and am quite happy I did. CBP’s process (up until now) has been pleasurable. I am happy that the federal looks highly upon B.A. graduates, and pays a significant amount more in salary, which is 100% more than what NJ departments pay. I tested with Federal Probation, FAMs, and applied to ATF and Park Rangers, and have gotten pretty far. But due to the “current economic climate” there are no openings or lost out to a better candidate. So all I am left with is an egg in CBP and an egg in FAMs.

I was laid off from my job, and currently working various part time jobs, and scanning through USAJOBS and NJ CSC website. I am currently barely making ends meet, and trying to start my career, which seems to be one monkey wrench thrown in after another.

So excuse me and the rest of us on here who are trying to find one glimpse of hope on when hiring will begin, because the hand we were dealt may not as good as the hand you were. So here I am, waiting, praying that this Christmas’s incident will put Homeland Security back into the Government’s spotlight, and that hiring for these formentioned agencies will pick up.
                    Amen, brother. I feel your pain.
                    Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• For those who think they have been waiting long....
                      Take a look at my timeline!...
                      I'm still waiting for my BI to clear since I met my Investigator back in Dec. 07', it's been more than a year since I sent in my NOPA response...
                      Joined the National Guard went off to BCT came back, now slated for OCS in April... and I'm still waiting for CBP!!!...

Just chiming in since I stopped posting... no use to posting when there's nothing to post about, but I do read your conversations every day!!!...

I have seen the process, for some candidates a couple of years ago, go from testing to hire in 3 months... and others like myself stagnate in limbo. We saw many "I got the call" posts in the not so distant past, but right now there is nothing going on or looking good for that matter, with hiring right now.

I know it's hard to keep going along with our lives while waiting to hear from CBP, but pretty much that is the only thing we can do, it has been the way they have operated for years on end. The recent hiring push was completely out of the ordinary as to their hiring timelines. I thought I would've been part of that push, but here I am still waiting for the last clear on CASS and a "referred to TSU" message popping up!!!!....
                      I guess it was not meant to be for me.
                      Bottom line is "keep on truckin' guys"!
                      No matter how we want things to go, uncle sugars way of doing things will not change... Hurry up and wait is the name of the game, and bureaucracy still rules all the processes involved without any single shred of common sense.
                      It is what it is....
                      Last edited by yoda; 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM.
                      CBPO
                      Written: 08/29/2007
                      EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• My GEO location is the SW border (Calexico, CA). TSU Dec. 10. I hope these posts don't apply to me since I'm in the SW?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopeful09 View Post
                          My senator is Susan Collins and she's a ranking member (and former chair) of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Comittee. I sent her an email about 3 months ago. Didn't get a single response. I wish it would make a difference...maybe I'll try sending it again. Or maybe I'll call this time.
                          Hopeful, one of our Michigan State Reps is on the Homeland Security Committee as well. I sent a letter and then spoke with one of her aides on the phone. I was informed that it is considered a conflict of interest when they sit on the same committee they would be addressing on your behalf. Try one of your other Reps/Senators. Good luck.

As far as the "eggs in one basket" thing...
                          I know that quixfeet was not laughing AT anyone or any person's dire situation. It was a laugh brought on from years of looking at this forum with the exact same complaints and the apparent futility of changing an obviously flawed system. I went through the exact same phase of anger and feeling lied too. The "old-timers" here (merlin, kc12, yoda, and quixfeet) patiently try to steer us back to sanity and do a fair job, considering. Speaking from Michigan's economy, apply to every job available. Not just 10 or 20. Apply to 100 or more. Take whatever comes your way. When CBP calls, make your decision from whatever place you find yourself in life at that point. Good luck and hang in there.
                          Last edited by DirtStyx; 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Is it possible that they are holding any staffing decisions pending the successful confirmation of Alan Bersin as the next Commissioner of Customs and Border Protection? Seems I remember hearing that there is some hold up for leverage in the TSA appointment. Maybe they are stating SB right now as they know those slots must be filled and they are holding on Mr Bersin to determine the direction he wants to go with staffing once confirmed.

Edit to add:

Found related article

http://www.elpasotimes.com/business/ci_14111850
                            Last edited by USMC0844; 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM.
                            CBPO East Texas
                            TO: 3/3/09
                            Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                            Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                            Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                            VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                            Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                            Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                            BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                            TSU: 8/27/09
                            FCRA: 05/19/10
                            BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• When did the most recent entry-level CBPO announcement close?
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                                When did the most recent entry-level CBPO announcement close?
                                I am thinking sometime towards the end of April 2009.

Edit to add: I noticed you just recently submitted applications, so if your follow up question is "when will the next announcement open?" the answer would be probably not until late 2010 or early 2011 with the current hiring slow down.
                                Last edited by USMC0844; 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM.
                                CBPO East Texas
                                TO: 3/3/09
                                Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                                Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                                Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                                VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                                Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                                Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                                BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                                TSU: 8/27/09
                                FCRA: 05/19/10
                                BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18944 users online. 502 members and 18442 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X