300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
    I'm substitute teaching right now in a room full of loud, smelly, disrespectful illiterates thinking to myself "I won't have to do this much longer. It's gotta be soon." Then I read this. This is a like a God damn nightmare.
    The writing has been on the wall for months that getting this job is not going to be anytime soon and even after hearing it with my own ears I have this small hope calls will be going out next month, or the month after that, or maybe the month after that. I have been doing this the last 10 months I have been in TSU.
    About September of 2009 I realized hiring was dead for 2009. It's only January of 2010 and the news of 2010 and possibly 2011 hiring being dead isn't going over so well. But like a fool, I continue to hold on and think, maybe next month calls will start.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
      The writing has been on the wall for months that getting this job is not going to be anytime soon and even after hearing it with my own ears I have this small hope calls will be going out next month, or the month after that, or maybe the month after that. I have been doing this the last 10 months I have been in TSU.
      About September of 2009 I realized hiring was dead for 2009. It's only January of 2010 and the news of 2010 and possibly 2011 hiring being dead isn't going over so well. But like a fool, I continue to hold on and think, maybe next month calls will start.
      The thing that really chaps my *** about all of this - for me and the Northern VA gang, specifically - is that the very reason I applied for this job is because I read about all the "alleged" Northern Virginia vacancies in a full page color ad in the DC Express. Supposedly there was some huge hiring push in NOVA.

I knew I wanted to get into law enforcement (specifically a position that could give me a leg-up into an ICE 1811). I didn't really know what agencies to apply with and then I saw this ad for huge CBP hiring. I went to the info session and these all officers were like "Oh, yeah! We've got tons of vacancies opening up! That's why we're having these info session. We need a lot of people in the next year." So, now I'm asking myself, what happened to all that? I wouldn't have put so much stock in this job if it hadn't been for the promises that NOVA positions would be filled quickly.
      "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

The thing that really chaps my *** about all of this - for me and the Northern VA gang, specifically - is that the very reason I applied for this job is because I read about all the "alleged" Northern Virginia vacancies in a full page color ad in the DC Express. Supposedly there was some huge hiring push in NOVA.

I knew I wanted to get into law enforcement (specifically a position that could give me a leg-up into an ICE 1811). I didn't really know what agencies to apply with and then I saw this ad for huge CBP hiring. I went to the info session and these all officers were like "Oh, yeah! We've got tons of vacancies opening up! That's why we're having these info session. We need a lot of people in the next year." So, now I'm asking myself, what happened to all that? I wouldn't have put so much stock in this job if it hadn't been for the promises that NOVA positions would be filled quickly.
        I hear you. I am waiting for SF/OAK and they supposedly always need more officers. For over two years the hiring process has been a part of my life and it seems like the never ending story. I checked CASS last week and saw that my paperwork and BI fell back into pending because they want me to update more stuff. I have been in and out of TSU 4 times in the last 10 months. It’s been crazy. A friend of mine who works in government told me to call my State Senator and complain, especially now that Homeland Security is in the news. He said I should mention how I have passed everything and am waiting in a pool of candidates who have tentative offers and are just waiting. Mention how much has been spent on us and on testing etc... I am on the fence, but I think I might do it.
        Last edited by UofU76; 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• I can add to these sob stories. I have been in TSU for a year at the end of this month. I applied for Vermont because that was a place with many vacancies and is hard to fill. I wanted this job bad. I live in Florida now and am more than willing to move there for this position. Here's the kicker. If I'd applied for Florida, I'd have a job. Ouch!

Comment

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
            I can add to these sob stories. I have been in TSU for a year at the end of this month. I applied for Vermont because that was a place with many vacancies and is hard to fill. I wanted this job bad. I live in Florida now and am more than willing to move there for this position. Here's the kicker. If I'd applied for Florida, I'd have a job. Ouch!
            I am also waiting for VT since 7/30/09, this process is obviously unpredictable.
            A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well, and to help those
            who are doing well to do even better.- Jim Rohn

Comment

• All I can say is never put all your eggs in one basket. I applied for CBPO and BP at the same time. I'm still in TSU for CBPO and just about done with FTO with BP. I will never look back, or trade green for blue.

I had 2 guys in my class at Artesia who hated the CBPO job and switched to BP.
              Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Congratulations

Comment

I went to the info session and these all officers were like "Oh, yeah! We've got tons of vacancies opening up! That's why we're having these info session. We need a lot of people in the next year." So, now I'm asking myself, what happened to all that? I wouldn't have put so much stock in this job if it hadn't been for the promises that NOVA positions would be filled quickly.
                  ha! The boys in blue told me the same thing at a job fair I went to years ago (Jan or Feb of 2007 or was it even earlier.. that memory is so foggy and distant being from a bygone time so long ago)... in Davie, FL, about Miami.. Oh its great, you'll love it, a bunch of people are leaving, blah, blah, blah.

Miami this, and Miami that, and how many people are still waiting to get into MIA or the Port of Miami..

All lies! The Man has collectively pulled the wool over our eyes, ladies and gents.

Donnie, what ya tryin' ta do, kill me wit dat f*@&#in' draft ovah here.. Roll up your f*@&#in' window, will ya!
                  Last edited by sandwichman; 01-12-2010, 01:43 AM.
                  CBP written test Miami, FL
                  11/10/2007
                  NOR letter 01/16/2008
                  VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                  Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                  Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                  9/4/2009
                  Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                  drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                  TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                  never got first)
                  qualifications completed
                  BI interview 9/30/2009
                  BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                  poly: Mar 2011
                  updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                  BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
                    I can add to these sob stories. ... If I'd applied for Florida, I'd have a job. Ouch!
                    ehhhh.. Not to rain on your parade or thought process, but where on Earth/ how did you come to that conclusion? What makes you think you'd be in already had you chosen Florida?

Its late and I should be sleeping so don't take any offense to this question, but I'm a bit puzzled. I've seen quiet a few people in TSU for Florida and they're still here waiting (per Anthony's latest list) and there also hasn't been a rash of "got the call" posts from anyone waiting for FL since I've been on the forum.
                    CBP written test Miami, FL
                    11/10/2007
                    NOR letter 01/16/2008
                    VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                    Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                    Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                    9/4/2009
                    Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                    drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                    TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                    never got first)
                    qualifications completed
                    BI interview 9/30/2009
                    BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                    poly: Mar 2011
                    updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                    BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                      ehhhh.. Not to rain on your parade or thought process, but where on Earth/ how did you come to that conclusion? What makes you think you'd be in already had you chosen Florida?

Its late and I should be sleeping so don't take any offense to this question, but I'm a bit puzzled. I've seen quiet a few people in TSU for Florida and they're still here waiting (per Anthony's latest list) and there also hasn't been a rash of "got the call" posts from anyone waiting for FL since I've been on the forum.

It's really quite simple actually. People with a TSU date after mine were hired.

Comment

• I didn't mean to turn this into a pity party. Haha. I was just having one of those days - which I'm sure a lot of you guys have too. It's just so tough to be so close to a job and so far away at the same time.

Maybe I'll will get accepted to Secret Service UD position first. That would be sweet.
                        "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Well, right now I'm just working and VERY thankful that I do have a job!! Where I live is considered a "poor" part of the state so it isn't very hard to keep up with the bills. I just spent a week in Spain and will be going to Rome and Cairo in June IF "the call" doesn't come in by then. In other words just keep going on with your life as best as possible! Keep busy and before you know it, they will call. I just feel bad for those who do not have work right now! Just keep your heads up ladies and gents! Your time IS coming!

Comment

• So fed up

Yeah, me too. I saw the annoucement originally well over a year ago. When I went back to sign up for the first test, the annoucement was closed. However, by chance, I saw the announcement opened up again for a week for only about a handful of locations of which the announcement said were locations that were in desperate need of people. It was for that reason we could not pick any location... we had to pick from a short list of some port or city supposedly in dire need of people... well... took the test... TSU blah blah blah and I've been sitting for close to 9 months now for a location that supposedly needed people desperately. I think it's pretty unprofessional, too, to lead people on for, in some cases, years... before getting hired for a job. It's torturous... and borders on cruel and unusual punishment. Regardless, I keep chugging along at my job... collecting tolls for a highway, haha. I did take 2 exams for the Foreign Service but even with both of those... it's been 5 months before I've heard anything... why have announcements then??? Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out!

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                              A friend of mine who works in government told me to call my State Senator and complain, especially now that Homeland Security is in the news. He said I should mention how I have passed everything and am waiting in a pool of candidates who have tentative offers and are just waiting. Mention how much has been spent on us and on testing etc... I am on the fence, but I think I might do it.

My senator is Susan Collins and she's a ranking member (and former chair) of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Comittee. I sent her an email about 3 months ago. Didn't get a single response. I wish it would make a difference...maybe I'll try sending it again. Or maybe I'll call this time.

Comment

• LOL! I know everyone is trying to get a job, but some of you really need to chill out. The calls will come when they come. There are guys on the job now who had a process of 1-3 years, while others got hired in 6 months. No one pulled the wool over any eyes. You think you have it rough? Talk to some that have been in the process for ICE SA, DUSM, USSS SA or UD. Some of those guys and gals have waited up to 4 years. The gov't does not hire quickly. They're gonna have hiring booms and hiring slowdowns. It's just the nature of the beast. Many ports are short on man power, but it's up to the guys at HQ to authorize it. Don't put your life on hold. Be patient and trust me your call will come.
                                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15713 users online. 467 members and 15246 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X