300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sag227 View Post
    Focusing on scenario 3, what does it take to be a CBPO pre-clearence officer (I liking the idea of being in a foreign country for a few years). What is the commitment, and what can CBP offer in terms of GEO preference once the commitment is over?
    The minimum...more or less...3 years on the job and a fair amount of immigration experience.

Pre-clearance is usually a 2-5 year placement and currently, those coming back to the US are allowed to choose 5 ports/field offices they wish to return to. If there's an opening in choice 1, it's theirs. If not, it goes to choice 2...and so on. I've never heard of someone getting all the way to choice 5...so I'm not sure what they would offer past that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Not that I've seen...but who knows the long term fallout?

Related, I saw this and thought it might make things potentially interesting...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/...hal.expansion/

It's possible, though I think unlikely, that we(OFO) might see flying in our future. To what extent that'll effect new hires, if any, is wildly unknown at this time.
      Merlin,

From Delphi ( http://forums.delphiforums.com/custo...s?msg=10155.14 )

"Our Port just got news today from our DFO that we will start being put on the airplanes by the end of the month and will be trained as Airmarshals at FLETC for 5 days worth of airmarshal training. So yes CBPO's will be flying on flights. Our port said it will be a 90 day TDY.

The Port is only accepting volunteers from senior officers tho.

I would post a copy of the email on this site but I am unsure if that would be an OPSEC issues of not.. If anyone has any ideas let me know"

They go on to say it is a TDY, so it probably won't have any impact to hiring, or lack thereof...
      Last edited by Bolts56; 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC0844 View Post
        So do we get any benefit out of the FAMS hiring blast? I noticed on the article on Foxnews.com stated that CBP did a pre-clearance check prior to wheels up and another in flight check. The name of the terroist flagged during the second check. Adding more FAMS is great, but would it not seem more logical to add more CBP airport personnel and prevent the suspect from boarding in the plane in the first place?
        It makes sense to stop the guy before he gets on the plane. It wasn’t until moments after the guy mixed things incorrectly that people realized something was up. If he had assembled the bomb correctly the plane would have gone down whether there was a FAM or board or not. I don’t see how adding FAMS is going to fix things. Preventing the person from boarding is really the only way to make things safe.

Comment

• Any news of them hiring for entry level anytime soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
            It makes sense to stop the guy before he gets on the plane. It wasn’t until moments after the guy mixed things incorrectly that people realized something was up. If he had assembled the bomb correctly the plane would have gone down whether there was a FAM or board or not. I don’t see how adding FAMS is going to fix things. Preventing the person from boarding is really the only way to make things safe.
            Depends on the future (hope none) terrorist's motives. If the bomb is used as a scare tactic to get to the cockpit somehow than FAMs play a role.
            You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• The post 9/11 training is that at the onset of any inclination of anything security related going wrong the flight deck goes into lock down and no one goes in or out. Lets hope the FAMs can shoot and incapacitate the threat before any damage can be done. Good for the FAMs who will be earning more. But I think it would definately be better suited to spend money on man power for preventative measures than hoping the FAMs will be able to neutralize threats on-board.
              I think we could learn a thing or two from El Al and Isreal. They have security screening down pat! It was a wonderful experience visiting but I wouldnt go back there for this reason. The process to get from check-in to the gate for your flight was too much of a pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by future007 View Post
                Any news of them hiring for entry level anytime soon?

Just an FYI from those of us who do not have TOs. I emailed MHC today to inquire about changing my GEO preference. I was told that no new TOs are being and none are expected until 2011.

Comment

• does anyone know how hard it is to get a transfer? im currently in el paso,tx and i would love to get back to fl. any input??
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
                    does anyone know how hard it is to get a transfer? im currently in el paso,tx and i would love to get back to fl. any input??
                    That'll depend. Most likely it'll be very difficult.
                    There's virtually no chance of moving while on probation, and only a slight chance of moving before obtaining your 11.

Straight transfers almost never happen. Usually, they require a person to be located in a port that is overstaffed and looking to shed Officers. A hardship transfer is available for those dealing with SERIOUS medical issues that require moving.

You're best bet is a 'body for body' swap. Outside of that, doing a 2-5 year gig with pre-clearance/CSI and then requesting to return to the port of your choice.

This is the sort of question that I'd corner someone involved in the union with. Your union guys at your port should know what winds blow at your port and how and what you need to do to put yourself in a better situation for moving elsewhere. Contact them.

Luck,
                    Mer.

Comment

• Originally posted by sag227 View Post
                      The ports in question is a start in Virginia to a transfer to New York Area, specifically Newark Airport or Seaport. I read scenarios:

1: Man/Man swap
                      2: hardship transfer, which I don't even want to touch with a 40-yard stick.
                      3: Pre-Clearance or Academy Instructor.
                      There is also CSI, which is essentially pre-clearance for cargo. If I recall correctly there are more CSI ports than pre-clearance ports, so it might be a bit easier. Although I have seen people try several times for CSI and still not get picked up. Periodically there are announcements requesting TDY CSI officers, so there is a way to get real world CSI experience before signing up for 2-5 years.
                      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Same

Originally posted by Porkroll View Post
                        Just an FYI from those of us who do not have TOs. I emailed MHC today to inquire about changing my GEO preference. I was told that no new TOs are being and none are expected until 2011.
                        I sent an email and received the same response!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustin L View Post
                          I sent an email and received the same response!
                          That sucks and if its true pretty much takes me out of the game.

Comment

• Soto,

Congratulations on your apparent graduation from FLETC. Thanks for keeping us posted (NOT!). What's wrong with El Paso?

Best Regards.

T-
                            Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                            Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• not really down for all this dirt and rocks, but its alright reminds me when i was in the marines stationed at 29 plams, ca.
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkroll View Post
                                Are you certain that they didn't say they would be issuing no new announcements until 2011? If you had wanted to change geo preference, you would have to wait for a new announcement and re-apply with all of your previous steps being discarded. So in that instance, it would make sense for MHC to tell you about the unlikelihood of re-applying. Why would they discuss TOs with you when the topic was a change of geo pref? Understand that I'm not calling you out. I'm only hoping that there was a misunderstanding because the implications of you being correct are pretty discouraging.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11380 users online. 388 members and 10992 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X