300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
    I agree that this is a bad sign for many. This is clearly a statement saying that they feel they have bitten off more than they can chew. Think about it. They've spent thousands of dollars already on those in TSU and this will clearly eliminate many. Those of us in TSU aren't the "investment" we may have thought we were.

That being said, I believe it is also an attempt to become more efficient/save money. Because hiring has slowed, many people have moved on. Any activity is a good sign to some of us, as it feels as though maybe they'll never hire again.

Also FYI, my fitness expired. I was one of the ones who was told that they will call 30 days prior to EOD for fitness retest. For a few days, I was removed from TSU on CASS, but I am back in now and haven't retested yet. It seems as though they are following through on their word. We just gotta roll with the punches. I've been in TSU for nearly a year for a port that historically has been hard to fill. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    I am glad to hear you are back in TSU.
    My opinion on all of this (and again, it’s my opinion) is that why spend money on 2 or 3 fitness tests when they can get it done at the drop of a hat when they are actually ready for you. I had my fitness and medical done at the same time and they give you and the facility that administers the test a timeline to complete and get it back to them. Realistically it takes 2 weeks tops for MHC to get the results back. It sounds like they finally have someone over there that is looking at the most cost efficient approach and I think it’s a great idea. For example, it will eliminate the applicants who are no longer in physical shape. You can take the fitness test in April, gain 30 lbs sitting on your butt all day not doing anything in that year and get an EOD in March right before your fitness expires. Here you have an out of shape applicant who can’t finish any of the physical parts of the program. If they give you the fitness test right before you go and pass, you are ready. If you fail that’s a bunch of money and time they save not to mention more room for qualified applicants that are waiting in the pipeline. As far as everyone worrying about their position in TSU, I think that ANYDAYNOW is an example that they are not going to forget where you are in line. I think that when you are up next even if you have some things expired, they will send you then to update your fitness/ medical/ DT when they give you your EOD.

The only negative that I see in this whole email thing is that I need to start working on my male push-ups again. It’s so much easier doing female style!!

and BTW... my new phrase of the week is "due to the current economic climate"

Comment

• Thanks for the info on the K-9 unit guys. I still have a couple of months until i get to the journeyman position since i started as a GS-5. I was curious about the position because its seems like a great job and something that i would really like to do but i never really hear about. I just wanted to get a heads up before i get to that point where i can apply for it. Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        I signed up; the place looks rather dead. I have limited access though, since handing out my government email to a stranger seems like a rather poor idea.

Honestly, you can find years worth of useful stuff on the Delphi forums, including all that "useful for new hires" stuff. I don't see where that place can go or do that itsn't already being done elsewhere.
        The site just started this month. Notice I used TSMG instead of TuffStuff...

As an avid forum user I'm not a fan of the Delphi layout. It is somewhat more difficult to read, is full of ads that look like posts and has an old fashioned layout.

The site could use people in the know and has alot of potential. The front page is a major plus as it clearly separates news from chatter.

Additionally -I believe that this notice is the half-way mark for me. I've got another 6 months at least to wait. I'd be they are trying to find out which files to shelve so they can lay-off redundant MHC jobs.
        Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM.
        CBPO
        GEO - NY/JFK
        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
        PE Forms - Completed
        Fitness - Completed
        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
        Drug Screen - Completed
        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
        TSU

EOD: ???
        FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
          I am glad to hear you are back in TSU.
          My opinion on all of this (and again, it’s my opinion) is that why spend money on 2 or 3 fitness tests when they can get it done at the drop of a hat when they are actually ready for you. I had my fitness and medical done at the same time and they give you and the facility that administers the test a timeline to complete and get it back to them. Realistically it takes 2 weeks tops for MHC to get the results back. It sounds like they finally have someone over there that is looking at the most cost efficient approach and I think it’s a great idea. For example, it will eliminate the applicants who are no longer in physical shape. You can take the fitness test in April, gain 30 lbs sitting on your butt all day not doing anything in that year and get an EOD in March right before your fitness expires. Here you have an out of shape applicant who can’t finish any of the physical parts of the program. If they give you the fitness test right before you go and pass, you are ready. If you fail that’s a bunch of money and time they save not to mention more room for qualified applicants that are waiting in the pipeline. As far as everyone worrying about their position in TSU, I think that ANYDAYNOW is an example that they are not going to forget where you are in line. I think that when you are up next even if you have some things expired, they will send you then to update your fitness/ medical/ DT when they give you your EOD.
          I'm inclined to agree with cajunchik. I think this letter is an attempt to, first, purge the TSU list of people that are no longer persuing the job or just don't care enough to reply and, second, to make aware/remind applicants of the fitness standard that they will be required to have for their testing 30 days before EOD. Hopefully this is a sign of some hiring on the horizon in the new year (which is what I was told to expect from a port administrator at HQ - someone I like to think knows what they are talking about).

Also, it would make absolutely no sense for you to lose your place in the TSU line if you are pulled for a fitness/medical check. I think that any concern about that is some truly paranoid fatalism. The procedures for getting this job aren't that ***-backwards.

Let's try and keep our chins up here folks. Not so sound like a jerk, but if you're giving up on the job then so be it - best of luck to you. But save the gloom and doom for people that people that care. Some of us are trying to be optimistic.
          "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Does anyone have the number for the hiring center so that I can talk to a real person instead of CASS. I would pref like to have the TSU number. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me in this matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feiu View Post
              Does anyone have the number for the hiring center so that I can talk to a real person instead of CASS. I would pref like to have the TSU number. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me in this matter.
              612-467-0717
              "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Just logged into CASS 2 minutes ago and FINALLY got that last Green check for Background....But I got nothing saying anything about being referred to TSU!!! I thought once everything was complete you automatically are referred to TSU???

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG_MP View Post
                  Just logged into CASS 2 minutes ago and FINALLY got that last Green check for Background....But I got nothing saying anything about being referred to TSU!!! I thought once everything was complete you automatically are referred to TSU???
                  Negative. Once all of the pre-employment steps are completed, an applicant's file is given the once over a final time, and then it is sent to the TSU. The days of applicants completing the pre-employment process, and then hitting TSU instantaneously ended about this time last year. From your screen name you should be very familiar with what I am about to write next: Hurry up and wait.
                  sigpicTwo is one,
                  one is none.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twoisone View Post
                    Negative. Once all of the pre-employment steps are completed, an applicant's file is given the once over a final time, and then it is sent to the TSU. The days of applicants completing the pre-employment process, and then hitting TSU instantaneously ended about this time last year. From your screen name you should be very familiar with what I am about to write next: Hurry up and wait.
                    ooooooohh gotcha!! Yeah I def understand the "Hurry up and Wait", nothing new in my realm. So how long am I looking at for the final review and entrance into TSU???

Comment

• That number was to a local police dept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feiu View Post
                        That number was to a local police dept.
                        Eek! My bad. It's 612-467-7017.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                          I'm inclined to agree with cajunchik. I think this letter is an attempt to, first, purge the TSU list of people that are no longer persuing the job or just don't care enough to reply and, second, to make aware/remind applicants of the fitness standard that they will be required to have for their testing 30 days before EOD. Hopefully this is a sign of some hiring on the horizon in the new year (which is what I was told to expect from a port administrator at HQ - someone I like to think knows what they are talking about).

Also, it would make absolutely no sense for you to lose your place in the TSU line if you are pulled for a fitness/medical check. I think that any concern about that is some truly paranoid fatalism. The procedures for getting this job aren't that ***-backwards.

Let's try and keep our chins up here folks. Not so sound like a jerk, but if you're giving up on the job then so be it - best of luck to you. But save the gloom and doom for people that people that care. Some of us are trying to be optimistic.
                          I too, am in contact with a personnel director at my hopeful job location. She says they are pretty short, have already requested positions to be filled from HQ, and that they are losing a few more people who are being deployed as reserves. I don't think you will see an expansion of positions nationwide, but to say they won't hire all year is probably not even possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG_MP View Post
                            ooooooohh gotcha!! Yeah I def understand the "Hurry up and Wait", nothing new in my realm. So how long am I looking at for the final review and entrance into TSU???
                            The need to get people in and out of TSU has waned considerably, so there is no rush on the part of the MHC like there was a year ago. It could be a week, two, or maybe even a month until your file is transfered to the TSU. A large part of the equation is the geographic preference you chose, and the need that area has. Unfortunately, there is no definite answer.
                            sigpicTwo is one,
                            one is none.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twoisone View Post
                              The need to get people in and out of TSU has waned considerably, so there is no rush on the part of the MHC like there was a year ago. It could be a week, two, or maybe even a month until your file is transfered to the TSU. A large part of the equation is the geographic preference you chose, and the need that area has. Unfortunately, there is no definite answer.
                              Gotcha.....Thanks Bro!!

Comment

• I was wondering what you guys think about the section of the letter that states "Interns will be required to complete the Academy Fitness Test battery during the first week, mid-point and at the end in order to graduate".
                                Does this mean we have to pass the 1.5mile run, 220 dash, sit and reach, and the 24 push ups three different times? Just wondering what everyones input is on this.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to every one and your families!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8661 users online. 208 members and 8453 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X