300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
    Seriously if that's your attitude then don't send it back, give up and move on with your life. I for one am not giving up and will wait as long as I have to.
    People are allowed to be disappointed with this process. The whole idea of "the inevitable call" is out the window and it could be years before they call us all.

I'm just going to follow the prompts and enjoy the pipe dream, maybe one day it will happen.

Most of us really don't have a choice, of course we will hang on. Jobs are beyond scarce, and are being cut back further during the holiday season, which tends to be economically intense. We are lucky that we even have a hope in the world on getting a job with some modicum of retirement security. I'd bet CBP will be suprised by how few applicants they lose by this attempt.
    Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM.
    CBPO
    GEO - NY/JFK
    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
    PE Forms - Completed
    Fitness - Completed
    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
    Drug Screen - Completed
    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
    TSU

EOD: ???
    FLETC: ???

Comment

• [QUOTE=CMUnupe;2115960]
      Originally posted by kearney3 View Post

Customs and Border Protection Officer
      Applicant Contact Update

Name: ___________________________________
      (Please print)

Applicant ID: __________________ SSN: ______________________

Address: __________________________________

Home Phone: __________________________________

Work Phone: __________________________________

Cell Phone: ___________________________________

Email address: __________________________________

Signature: ___________________________________ Date: __________

• I am still interested in the CBP Officer position.

• I am NO longer interested in the CBP Officer position, and I understand I will no longer be considered for the position unless I re-apply to an open vacancy announcement.

Please mail to:
      U.S. Department of Homeland Security
      Minneapolis Hiring Center
      ATTN: Field Operations Hiring Unit (FOH)
      1 Federal Drive, Room 400
      Fort Snelling, MN 55111

All responses must be postmarked by December 24, 2009. Emailed or faxed responses will not be accepted.

Just got this myself, after reading this post, I checked my email account and there it was with the attachment. I'll be going to the post office during my lunch break today.

I see this as a sign of hope.
      CBP written test Miami, FL
      11/10/2007
      NOR letter 01/16/2008
      VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
      Forms 6/2/2009 completed
      Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
      9/4/2009
      Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
      drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
      TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
      never got first)
      qualifications completed
      BI interview 9/30/2009
      BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
      poly: Mar 2011
      updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
      BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• email

I got the same email but mine also says I need to take the new fitness test (I took mine back in March before the new one was in effect). I'm not to worried about it but I hope this doesn't make me lose my spot in the TSU line.

Comment

• I see it as a positive sign also. Basically they are saying that hiring is fixing to resume but the positions will not be as available as they were in the past. They would prefer not to waste their time chasing people down who have moved on, so hence the email.
          CBPO East Texas
          TO: 3/3/09
          Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
          Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
          Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
          VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
          Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
          Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
          BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
          TSU: 8/27/09
          FCRA: 05/19/10
          BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC0844 View Post
            So I am watch the Nat Geo Explorer "Narco State" from the other night. THey show a commercial for a new series "Border Wars" profiling CBPO, ICE, DHS that starts on Jan. 10, 2010. Something else to make me realize what I am missing!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...s/all/Overview
            SWEEEEET!!!!
            TO-6/16/08
            TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
              Did everyone get this in their e-mail?

December 14, 2009

Dear Applicant:
              The purpose of this letter is to update you on the status of your tentative selection for the position of Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) with the Department of Homeland Security.

Hiring within Customs and Border Protection has slowed considerably over the past few months due to the current economic climate. At this time we are filling positions as funding becomes available and we are unable to predict the location or availability of future vacancies. It is important that you keep your contact information up to-date as you are waiting for placement as a CBPO. Therefore, we are asking all applicants to update their personal contact information as well as their interest in remaining in consideration for a CBPO position.

While candidates await placement in an available funded vacancy, their pre-employment clearances (medical/fitness/drug test) may expire. The Minneapolis Hiring Center will contact applicants as needed to keep their pre-employment processes current. We cannot stress strongly enough how important it is to get in shape and stay in shape in order to pass the Fitness Graduation Standards at the CBP Officer Training Academy.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties as a Customs and Border Protection Officer, all applicants may be required to complete and pass a new pre-employment fitness test (PFT) regardless of when they last took and passed the PFT. Scheduling for the fitness examination will be phased in as vacancies are filled. The Minneapolis Hiring Center will contact you to schedule the fitness examination. If you do not successfully pass the fitness test, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process.

The PFT consists of two parts. Each part of the PFT is scored separately. You must pass both parts in order to continue in the hiring process. You must achieve a minimum cumulative score of 80 points on Part One and successfully complete Part Two (the Step Test). Additionally, candidates must achieve a score greater than zero on each test in Part One.

Part One
              • Push-ups (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
              • Side Step Test (as many line touches as you can in 10 seconds)
              • Sit-up Test (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
              • Lift/Lower Test (8 cycles as quickly and safely as possible)

Part Two
              • Step Test (step in cadence for 5 minutes)
              Training at the Academy is intense and requires that you report in good physical condition. Interns will be required to complete the Academy Fitness Test battery during the first week, mid-point and at the end in order to graduate.

The Customs and Border Protection Office of Field Operations Academy Fitness Graduation Standards include:

• Push-ups – 24 or more in one minute
              • Sit and Reach – 12.5 inches
              • 220 yard run - must be completed in 45 seconds or less
              • 1.5 mile run - must be completed in 15 minutes or less

It is critical that you continue to work out throughout the time you are waiting to attend the Academy. You will be required to meet these requirements in order to pass the Fitness Graduation Standards at the academy. If you do not pass the Fitness Graduation Standards at the academy, you will be removed from your position as a Customs and Border Protection Officer.

For more information on the fitness test and training at the academy, we highly recommend that you review the following resources on the CBP website (by clicking on each of the titles below you will be directed to each resource).

• CBPO Fitness Testing Fact Sheet (beginning July 1, 2009)
              • CBP Pre-Employment Fitness Test Video (beginning July 1, 2009)

You may check the status of your application in the Central Applicant Self-Service program on the web at https://apps.cbp.gov/cass/.

If you have any changes in your medical history between the time you completed the pre-employment medical examination and the time you are scheduled to attend the Academy, please notify our office immediately. If you have any specific questions relating to the PFT, please contact any member of our staff at (612) 467-7042 or via email at [email protected].

Please respond to our office in writing to update your contact information and to confirm your continued interest in the CBPO position. Unfortunately, we cannot accept email or faxed responses. For your convenience we have included a contact update information sheet that you may send to us. All responses must be mailed to the Minneapolis Hiring Center and postmarked by December 24, 2009. If you do not respond to this inquiry, we will understand that you are no longer interested in the position and your name will be removed from consideration and, in order to be considered in the future you will have to reapply to an open vacancy announcement.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection.

Got the e-mail too. Oh well! What can you do? I'm going to wait as long as possible for this job!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO23 View Post
                This question is for any other CBPO's out there. I've been on the job for 2 and a half years now. Do any of you have any info on K-9? How difficult is it to get in? How would you know when they're hiring? What special skills might you need to even be considered for the job? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
                K9...

Typically, you must have 3 yrs on the job, be an 11 and have managed not to get yourself on Santa Sugar's 'naughty'' list.

K9 is a collateral duty and not a promotion. It's usually very competitive. The announcement is typically internal; You may see some for status candidates on USAJobs. As for special skills, you really ought to talk to the K9 folk. Are there not K9 Officers at/around your port that you can talk to? The Delphi CBP board might have some answers for you too...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/customsinspect

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  K9...

Typically, you must have 3 yrs on the job, be an 11 and have managed not to get yourself on Santa Sugar's 'naughty'' list.

K9 is a collateral duty and not a promotion. It's usually very competitive. The announcement is typically internal; You may see some for status candidates on USAJobs. As for special skills, you really ought to talk to the K9 folk. Are there not K9 Officers at/around your port that you can talk to? The Delphi CBP board might have some answers for you too...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/customsinspect
                  Hey Merlin, would you mind posting some threads that would be useful for new hires over on CBPforums.com? I think it is run by a CBP officer and would probably be more useful to new guys because questions would be answered in their own individual thread. Food for thought. I just started posting a few things there because it was empty.
                  CBPO
                  GEO - NY/JFK
                  TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                  PE Forms - Completed
                  Fitness - Completed
                  VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                  Drug Screen - Completed
                  Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                  B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                  Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                  TSU

EOD: ???
                  FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
                    Seriously if that's your attitude then don't send it back, give up and move on with your life. I for one am not giving up and will wait as long as I have to.
                    Attitude, what are you talking about? I was just stating my interpretation of the letter.
                    I think I am being realistic.
                    My opinion is that the letter is not a good sign. It’s only one person’s opinion.
                    I have been in this process for 3 years; I have been in TSU 9 months. Your medical and fitness expire next month? Come back and talk to me after they kick you out of TSU and have no plans on re-testing you. You might be disappointed and you might view the letter in a different light. You may be willing to wait as long as you have to, but it won’t mean a thing if you are not in TSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                      People are allowed to be disappointed with this process. The whole idea of "the inevitable call" is out the window and it could be years before they call us all.

I'm just going to follow the prompts and enjoy the pipe dream, maybe one day it will happen.

Most of us really don't have a choice, of course we will hang on. Jobs are beyond scarce, and are being cut back further during the holiday season, which tends to be economically intense. We are lucky that we even have a hope in the world on getting a job with some modicum of retirement security. I'd bet CBP will be suprised by how few applicants they lose by this attempt.
                      I agree. I think many of us are sticking with it.
                      It sounds like this will complicate the matter. If you expire from TSU and a funded position becomes available won’t they hire from the current TSU list? Are they going to start a new list? A list compiled of people who were once in TSU and have expired? Say a funded position becomes available for your GEO location and you would have been next in line if you did not expire, but now you have to re do medical, fitness, drug, BI, or written, are they going to call you to re-test? It could take weeks or months. Or are they going to call the guy who is ready and can EOD and be at FLETC before you even re-test? See the dilemma or is it just me?

Comment

• I agree that this is a bad sign for many. This is clearly a statement saying that they feel they have bitten off more than they can chew. Think about it. They've spent thousands of dollars already on those in TSU and this will clearly eliminate many. Those of us in TSU aren't the "investment" we may have thought we were.

That being said, I believe it is also an attempt to become more efficient/save money. Because hiring has slowed, many people have moved on. Any activity is a good sign to some of us, as it feels as though maybe they'll never hire again.

Also FYI, my fitness expired. I was one of the ones who was told that they will call 30 days prior to EOD for fitness retest. For a few days, I was removed from TSU on CASS, but I am back in now and haven't retested yet. It seems as though they are following through on their word. We just gotta roll with the punches. I've been in TSU for nearly a year for a port that historically has been hard to fill. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by sag227 View Post
                          OK Everyone, just to set the record straight, everyone check the 2nd box!

Just kidding. Don't check the second box...although if one is dumb enough to listen to me shouldn't have the CBPO Job afterall
                          Ok I just sent my letter off today via certified mail....oh and for the record I checked the first box haha!!!!
                          Last edited by TXCBP; 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM.
                          TO-6/16/08
                          TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO23 View Post
                            This question is for any other CBPO's out there. I've been on the job for 2 and a half years now. Do any of you have any info on K-9? How difficult is it to get in? How would you know when they're hiring? What special skills might you need to even be considered for the job? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
                            I have a friend who is in Virginia as we speak for K-9 training. I was asking him about it. The following is his reply(minus a few BS sentences). Hope it helps!!

Email:

K9 is a great gig. You have to be at a journeyman level to even be accepted for that now (gs-11). But even then, you are competing against your coworkers, so you have to build up the resume. The great thing is that K9 gets to work all over with other agencies. It isn't uncommon for us to work with locals, DEA, or CBP airwing just to name a few. I am biased but I think it is the best job we have. Only problem is you are limited for supervisor positions and transfers. The dog is about 1 1/2 years old once training starts. They work until roughly 10 years. K9 school is in the middle of the woods in virginia.

Comment

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
                              I agree that this is a bad sign for many. This is clearly a statement saying that they feel they have bitten off more than they can chew. Think about it. They've spent thousands of dollars already on those in TSU and this will clearly eliminate many. Those of us in TSU aren't the "investment" we may have thought we were.

That being said, I believe it is also an attempt to become more efficient/save money. Because hiring has slowed, many people have moved on. Any activity is a good sign to some of us, as it feels as though maybe they'll never hire again.

Also FYI, my fitness expired. I was one of the ones who was told that they will call 30 days prior to EOD for fitness retest. For a few days, I was removed from TSU on CASS, but I am back in now and haven't retested yet. It seems as though they are following through on their word. We just gotta roll with the punches. I've been in TSU for nearly a year for a port that historically has been hard to fill. I will keep my fingers crossed.
                              Interesting. I don't believe they would be doing this if there were funded positions on the horizon. I bet we are shooting for 2011-2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                                Hey Merlin, would you mind posting some threads that would be useful for new hires over on CBPforums.com? I think it is run by a CBP officer and would probably be more useful to new guys because questions would be answered in their own individual thread. Food for thought. I just started posting a few things there because it was empty.

I signed up; the place looks rather dead. I have limited access though, since handing out my government email to a stranger seems like a rather poor idea.

Honestly, you can find years worth of useful stuff on the Delphi forums, including all that "useful for new hires" stuff. I don't see where that place can go or do that itsn't already being done elsewhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11141 users online. 429 members and 10712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X