Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a slightly different note, I'm going to MIA tomorrow to pick my parents up. I'll try to talk to some CBP guys to see if they heard of any staffing needs down there or in any other states.

I'll keep you all posted.
    CBP written test Miami, FL
    11/10/2007
    NOR letter 01/16/2008
    VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
    Forms 6/2/2009 completed
    Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
    9/4/2009
    Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
    drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
    TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
    never got first)
    qualifications completed
    BI interview 9/30/2009
    BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
    poly: Mar 2011
    updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
    BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by onlyroko View Post
      hey everybody! ive been reading these forums for over a year but finally decided to join.

i took the CBPO exam in may 09, LOR jun 09- 95% GS-5/7. For EWR, Newark, NJ.

But besides that I havent heard anything yet or received a packet.

I've worked in Newark Airport for several years and have met a lot of CBP officers there. From what a lot of them have told me, CBP was waiting for the new budget before sending classes to FLETC. Also newark has gotten a few waves of new cbp officers.

Anyone have any idea when I might be getting a packet, or even if Newark is hiring any time soon? Maybe I should change my GEO?
      Dont hold your beath I took the test for Newark in October of 07.. been in TSU since Aug 09.. and that is all the process to go through. you haven't even got the tentative offer.. but if your in no hurry.. be patient. Maybe they will call soon.. bad news is.. the test is only good for 1 year.. unless you get something from MHC saying they extended it.
      Last edited by justwaiting; 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM.
      Test 10/07
      TSU 8/24/09

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        You know...8-9-10 years ago people applied for careers as Inspectors with the USCS or INS. I know..I was one.

Change happens. We learn to adapt...or we fail.

The failure rate is so high because people prepared(or not) themselves for the minimums. Once the minimums were moved on them, they found themselves standing at the bottom of a long hill looking upward.
        Change is great. I love most kinds of change, but It would be weird to have people apply for one job and eventually get a totally different one.

Change in mission over the period in which you've witnessed it is inevitable. A change in mission over as short a time period as you are suggesting for the future is either bi-polar or dishonest.

I'm good for either way, but it is strange to see a call for applicants for one position end up in an unrelated one. It has always bothered me when the government looks to recruit National Guardsmen as a front for new Army recruits. Bait and switch is as irritating in the private sector as it is in the public.

Be ready and willing to change, but don't do it without an eyebrow up. It would be interesting to be able to hunt bad guys on the border, though.
        Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM.
        CBPO
        GEO - NY/JFK
        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
        PE Forms - Completed
        Fitness - Completed
        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
        Drug Screen - Completed
        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
        TSU

EOD: ???
        FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
          Change is great. I love most kinds of change, but It would be weird to have people apply for one job and eventually get a totally different one.

Change in mission over the period in which you've witnessed it is inevitable. A change in mission over as short a time period as you are suggesting for the future is either bi-polar or dishonest.

I'm good for either way, but it is strange to see a call for applicants for one position end up in an unrelated one. It has always bothered me when the government looks to recruit National Guardsmen as a front for new Army recruits. Bait and switch is as irritating in the private sector as it is in the public.

Be ready and willing to change, but don't do it without an eyebrow up. It would be interesting to be able to hunt bad guys on the border, though.
          You wouldn't be picked up for a unrelated job. If you ask some of the Legacy officers they'll tell you that the merge happend pretty quickly. Hell, I've only been on since 2007 and I've seen alot of change in the agency. As Merlin said you either adapt or look for something else. If anyone has a problem with change this may not be the agency for them. Remember CBP is a young agency and it is still growing.
          Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• I took the CBP test in Nashville TN back in May. I was notified that I passed and that was the last I heard. Is this normal? Is there anone I can contact to inquire about the status? Should I assume the process is still on going? Any help would be appreciated.
            USMS REGION 2
            Information Session= March, 2009(Washington, DC)
            Interview= June, 2009(Crystal City, VA)
            Conditional offer= July, 2009
            B.I./E-QIP Submitted= July, 2009
            B.I. Personal Interview=September, 2009
            Medical Part 1&2= July 2009 (Rolla, Mo.)
            Drug test= August, 2009
            FIT= November 23, 2009 -PASSED
            FLETC= Feb 17, 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post

It already happened in 2003!

If you ask almost any Legacy Customs officer at JFK, they will tell you that they were never hired to work in an immigration booth. While it might have been different at a land border where Customs officers in small ports had to do some immigration work, that was not the case at the larger ports, were everything was refered..That is why there was a mass exodus of Customs officers over night..

Comment

• Originally posted by sgtjdd View Post
                I took the CBP test in Nashville TN back in May. I was notified that I passed and that was the last I heard. Is this normal? Is there anone I can contact to inquire about the status? Should I assume the process is still on going? Any help would be appreciated.
                Yes, its normal. Welcome to the hiring process for CBP. The next step is to wait. At some point they'll send you a Tentative Offer in the mail which will have your Applicant ID. You can then use that to check your status throughout the process on CASS, https://apps.cbp.gov/cass/index.asp.
                CBP written test Miami, FL
                11/10/2007
                NOR letter 01/16/2008
                VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                9/4/2009
                Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                never got first)
                qualifications completed
                BI interview 9/30/2009
                BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                poly: Mar 2011
                updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• The same holds true for Immigration Inspectors.

I saw plenty from both legacy agencies leave between 03 and 05. Lots of Inspectors could not get themselves beyond the "I was never hired to work (Immigration/Customs)" frame of mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    The same holds true for Immigration Inspectors.

I saw plenty from both legacy agencies leave between 03 and 05. Lots of Inspectors could not get themselves beyond the "I was never hired to work (Immigration/Customs)" frame of mind.
                    The moral of the story is change or prepare to die. Doesn't mean you can't moan about it.
                    CBPO
                    GEO - NY/JFK
                    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                    PE Forms - Completed
                    Fitness - Completed
                    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                    Drug Screen - Completed
                    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                    TSU

EOD: ???
                    FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteylaw06 View Post
                      Some disheartening news to those of us going into the government employment sector: No locality increase for FY2010 (at least there is a 2% salary increase for civilian employees -(this is also lower than the standard 2.9%)). Ironic considering Congress is saying they want to raise locality pay by up to 43.75% for FY2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091201/...ma_federal_pay
                      The House yesterday passed a 1.5 percent base pay and 0.5 percent locality pay increase.

What that likely means is that the majority of the US will see something around 1.6-1.7%. Those people in the highly paid locality areas, think Pelosi world and DC, will be getting more than 2%. Looks like the House Democrats shot down the Obama plan for pay increase parity.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgtjdd View Post
                        I took the CBP test in Nashville TN back in May. I was notified that I passed and that was the last I heard. Is this normal? Is there anone I can contact to inquire about the status? Should I assume the process is still on going? Any help would be appreciated.
                        What location did you select? That has a lot to do with how quickly you hear anything. Pick El Paso, and you will hear a lot quicker than Kansas City.
                        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by SDCBP View Post
                          To current CBPO,

I heard from a Supervisor at a SD POE that many rookie CBPO arrive from FLETC and they only last about one or two weeks on the job not sure if its just SD location or other POE. Is there a high turn over rate for newbies? If so, why? Im blown away why these people waste their time going to FLETC and once they arrive at the real job they just quit.
                          I went through the academy with 16 other people from my port. Nobody has quit since we've been back (little over 4 months). Just as anecdotal as your SD evidence but food for thought.

Comment

• locality pay

Does anyone know where St. Thomas falls on the locality pay scale?... or where I can find this info? I found a chart from a few months ago on this post but it only listed major cities across the US and no St. Thomas...

Comment

• The USVI's are/were on a COLA. Something along the lines of 23-25%.

However, as I recall, the COLA's were done away for Alaska, Hawaii and the US territories a few months back...to be replaced by locality pay.

They might not have the new locality pay for the USVI's out yet...I'll look about for you.

Comment

• Alright....
                                Just made it back home last night from BCT... and all my stuff still says the same on CASS!.... guess we're back to the old waiting game!!!!
                                CBPO
                                Written: 08/29/2007
                                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11952 users online. 307 members and 11645 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X