300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
    Can you forsee CBP and Border Patrol being one agency? (Same training, uniform, pay band, retirment, etc..)
    We are the same agency just different offices. As for the rest I think over time we will be in the same uniform and have similar training. But who knows what's down the road.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Can you forsee CBP and Border Patrol being one agency? (Same training, uniform, pay band, retirment, etc..)
      Yes.
      Or at least something very close to it.

Supposedly there's consideration in the works to create a "unified" academy for all CBPO's, IEA's, and BPA's. Everyone would attend the same basic academy. Then, as needed, each position would go off into a specific academy geared toward each specific job.

If that comes about, all that's really needed is for time and attrition to come along. Fairly soon most of us would be more or less interchangeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
        ...I think over time we will be in the same uniform and have similar training. But who knows what's down the road.

I hope we get to keep the "Blues". Green doesn't suit me.

Sould have paid more attention during the EVOC.
        [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Compaq_Owner.COMPAQ1/Desktop/12-07-09%20Tampa%20brorein-street-bridge-crash.jpg[/IMG]
        Attached Files
        ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Fairly soon most of us would be more or less interchangeable.

I'm in favor of that. It could increases one's chance of a lateral to AIA or AEO.
          Last edited by cross.sandiego; 12-10-2009, 12:10 AM. Reason: Less is more.
          ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

70% seems really high. 7 out of 10 people are expected to fail. Uncle Sam is not going to be happy with that. Spend all that money on testing and then have 7 out of 10 fail. The whole purpose to the hiring process is to weed those people out. Raise the bar on hiring standards should solve that problem? Not even the Marines or U.S. Army have fail rates that high. Crazy.

You know...you guys should be all in favor of a high failure rate. Every spot that an academy failure gives up is a spot that ultimately opens up for you. We'd move those 2K applicants in TSU through the academy in little time and the cream of the crop would rise to the top, leaving those who prepared in jobs.

Comment

You know...you guys should be all in favor of a high failure rate. Every spot that an academy failure gives up is a spot that ultimately opens up for you. We'd move those 2K applicants in TSU through the academy in little time and the cream of the crop would rise to the top, leaving those who prepared in jobs.
              good point. I am now all for the high failure rate.

Comment

• To current CBPO,

I heard from a Supervisor at a SD POE that many rookie CBPO arrive from FLETC and they only last about one or two weeks on the job not sure if its just SD location or other POE. Is there a high turn over rate for newbies? If so, why? Im blown away why these people waste their time going to FLETC and once they arrive at the real job they just quit.

Comment

• good question.

I'm guessing it's the boredom factor too. Public service isn't always exciting, it's monotonous work screening bodies and vehicles, but it's necessary.
                  Timelines:

CBPO
                  App: 2/12/09
                  Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                  Written: 2/20/09
                  NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                  TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                  App: 5/5/09
                  Geo: San Diego
                  Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                  NOR: 7/20/09
                  Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                  TO: 10/6/09
                  Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                  Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                  Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                  App: 8/17/10
                  Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                  TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

If I wanted to be Border Patrol I would have applied for it. I view myself as ready for these requirements, especially the first test, but wonder why the failure rate is so high.
                    CBPO
                    GEO - NY/JFK
                    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                    PE Forms - Completed
                    Fitness - Completed
                    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                    Drug Screen - Completed
                    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                    TSU

EOD: ???
                    FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                      If I wanted to be Border Patrol I would have applied for it. I view myself as ready for these requirements, especially the first test, but wonder why the failure rate is so high.
                      You know...8-9-10 years ago people applied for careers as Inspectors with the USCS or INS. I know..I was one.

Change happens. We learn to adapt...or we fail.

The failure rate is so high because people prepared(or not) themselves for the minimums. Once the minimums were moved on them, they found themselves standing at the bottom of a long hill looking upward.

Comment

• Originally posted by SDCBP View Post
                        To current CBPO,

I heard from a Supervisor at a SD POE that many rookie CBPO arrive from FLETC and they only last about one or two weeks on the job not sure if its just SD location or other POE. Is there a high turn over rate for newbies? If so, why? Im blown away why these people waste their time going to FLETC and once they arrive at the real job they just quit.
                        Most of the people I know of who went to Cali. and quit within a few days did so over money. It's damn hard to live as a GS-05 in Cali.

Comment

Agreed, but why send someone to pre-Academy and FLETC only to have them fail out during week 3 because they are walking on lap 2 of the 1.5 mile run? Seven weeks of salary and a round-trip ticket to FLETC cuts into the budget.

There needs to be a Border Patrol PFT2 type test for CBPO's.

My suggestion: You get the call on a contingency. ASAP, you show up to your POE and a GS-5 CBPO or CBP Tech. watches you do X push-ups, X sit-ups and run 1.5 miles in X minutes. If you can do that, your offer is extended and you proceed with pre-Academy and FLETC.

Comment

To current CBPO,

With such high turnover, hopefully we'll get the call soon. Did your Supervisor contact shed any light on the hiring situation for SD?

Comment

To current CBPO,

Mandatory OT, job is repetitive, horrible management, and no one cared about you. These were the comments from a good friend of mine, who worked at the San Ysidro Port.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                                Mandatory OT, job is repetitive, horrible management, and no one cared about you. These were the comments from a good friend of mine, who worked at the San Ysidro Port.
                                The above hardly seem like good reasons to quit. Crap management, sucky, but not a make it or break it issue. Salary on the other hand, yes, but then again, you should have looked into that before you chose anywhere in Cali as your GEO. California is probably one of the most if not THE most expensive State in the Union to live in (fed income tax, state income tax, etc). This whole job application needs to be handled with military precession as far as I'm concerned. Know all the variables before you pick your GEO for example, start prepping for the physical, do the practice test you get from MHC, be prepared to move across the country because you want the job so much and don't see yourself doing anything else for the next 20 years and love the idea of busting bad guys trying to smuggle people or drugs in. Its all about the attitude you have. If you don't want the job, don't apply for it and let those of us who really want it, get it.

There should be no surprises for anyone looking to get this job, really.

Just my $.02.
                                CBP written test Miami, FL
                                11/10/2007
                                NOR letter 01/16/2008
                                VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                                Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                                Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                                9/4/2009
                                Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                                drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                                TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                                never got first)
                                qualifications completed
                                BI interview 9/30/2009
                                BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                                poly: Mar 2011
                                updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                                BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6636 users online. 322 members and 6314 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X