Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why they post job annoucements when by the time you finishing the application process, job has already been given away and and I'm assuming most of the time it was given to someone who already was in TSU. Why even say there are openings when in fact there are already bodies waiting to fill those openings?

Comment

• Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
      Since the new budget has not passed yet they probably don't have the money to retest right now.
      The budget for FY2010 was passed shortly after the announcement of the GS-12 upgrade was made. By shortly I mean within 2 weeks. That was back in October.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• "Why even say there are openings when in fact there are already bodies waiting to fill those openings?"

For the simple fact that $%#@ happens. By this, I mean that while in TSU some applicants will 1) pass away (Lord forbid), 2) get a call for that other killer federal, state, county, city job they had their eyes on, and will take themselves out of the CBP process; 3) someone in D.C. will get a wild hair up their burro, and CBP will have to push out X amount of bodies and send them to FLETC (an outside scenario, granted, but is still a probability); and 4) for the same reason that has rung true since CBP's inception: people on the job will be retiring, dying, and getting arrested, which means that the MHC has to keep a contingency number of applicants in "the system" to cover all of these scenarios if/when they occur. Further, the port today that is overstaffed can be the port next month, two months, or six months down the road that is sucking wind for people, and has their current personnel working mandatory "12s" until new bodies can be put through FLETC, so that they can be added to the port's personnel rolls. In the end, to answer your question: "Why even say there are openings when in fact there are already bodies waiting to fill those openings?," because even in D.C. they have to plan for any type of contingency, which means that the powers that be will mandate that there will have to be a certain amount of applicants in the pipeline, until those in D.C. decide otherwise.
        sigpicTwo is one,
        one is none.

Comment

• It is hard to admit that it's over, but it's over. Most of us in TSU will never even see an EOD.
          The line suggests years in TSU, even for those of us who went into TSU in June. Not just waiting, but having all requirements expire and need to be re-taken, maybe a few times. Additionally, the initial test expires at some point, so get ready to take that again and again.

CBP, the ultimate **** tease.

Insurance it is. Bummer.
          Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM.
          CBPO
          GEO - NY/JFK
          TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
          PE Forms - Completed
          Fitness - Completed
          VBT - 03/09 - Completed
          Drug Screen - Completed
          Qual - 05/09 - Completed
          B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
          Medical - 05/09 - Completed
          TSU

EOD: ???
          FLETC: ???

Comment

• To give you an idea of whats going on, yesterday CBP sent out a agency wide email that they are pretty much cutting back on our overtime. Scheduled overtime which is 95% of how we get OT will now be time and a half (Goodbye Double time OT), and unscheduled, last second OT will be Double Time ( Which will rarely happen) All in part of us topping out at GS-12 AND congress asking all federal agencies to make cutbacks.
            N.Y.P.D.

Passed:Exam# 3007 (1/2004) Military Extension
            Passed:Medical (1/2009)
            Passed:Psycological (1/2009)
            Passed(2:50):JST
            Passed:Mini-Medical
            January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Exam Feb, 08: Passed
            Medical: Passed
            PT Test: Passed
            Qualifications GS7: Done
            VBT: Passed
            Backround: Done
            Whiz quiz: Passed with 100%
            Referred to TSU: 2/10/09
            Graduated FLETC: CBPI Class 941
            CBP Officer: Florida

Comment

• Originally posted by USCG 2 NYPD View Post
              To give you an idea of whats going on, yesterday CBP sent out a agency wide email that they are pretty much cutting back on our overtime. Scheduled overtime which is 95% of how we get OT will now be time and a half (Goodbye Double time OT), and unscheduled, last second OT will be Double Time ( Which will rarely happen) All in part of us topping out at GS-12 AND congress asking all federal agencies to make cutbacks.
              That's awesome. Maybe it will cut the lower level CBPO's will to stay on and counter the gs-12 announcement. It's all about mass resignation to keep our hope alive. Sort of like an applicant pool of scab vampires
              CBPO
              GEO - NY/JFK
              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
              PE Forms - Completed
              Fitness - Completed
              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
              Drug Screen - Completed
              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
              TSU

EOD: ???
              FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                It is hard to admit that it's over, but it's over. Most of us in TSU will never even see an EOD.
                The line suggests years in TSU, even for those of us who went into TSU in June. Not just waiting, but having all requirements expire and need to be re-taken, maybe a few times. Additionally, the initial test expires at some point, so get ready to take that again and again.

CBP, the ultimate **** tease.

Insurance it is. Bummer.
                I am with you. It's over. It's going to take weeks for it to sink in. 3 years, 3 years of this stuff. 9 months in TSU. Meaningless.
                You can't take the written test unless there is an open announcement. The drug tests expires, medical, fitness, and so does the paperwork believe it or not. I had to re do my paper work a year ago. All these things will expire and there is no way to re do them to get back into TSU.
                It's over.

Comment

That's awesome. Maybe it will cut the lower level CBPO's will to stay on and counter the gs-12 announcement. It's all about mass resignation to keep our hope alive. Sort of like an applicant pool of scab vampires
                  Thats the point im trying to make lol. I have no shame in saying that if I get called for NYPD, I will leave CBP for the simple fact that just when you think hard working CBPO's finally get the recognition we deserve and at least match us with the salaries of other competative agencies, they take things away from us. So even when we get the 12, its less then an 11 and making double time OT.

Im not bashing my agency, I really do love CBP its just sad we are not getting the recognition we deserve.

The whole reason why CBP gave us 12 is because of the turnover rate problem of CBPO's leaving for better compensating agencies. But then, they turn around and take away double time OT. So technically, nothing was gained. I'd rather take AUO then this crap. So for all you applicants out there, the future is looking brighter for you all. Good luck.
                  N.Y.P.D.

January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Comment

No one is resigning in this economy. There are hardly any jobs out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      The budget for FY2010 was passed shortly after the announcement of the GS-12 upgrade was made. By shortly I mean within 2 weeks. That was back in October.
                      Also, most don't know that the 216 million dollars that the GS-12 upgrade is going to cost in the first year was obtained from another agency.

Hiring is going to be slow for awhile.

FB

Comment

To give you an idea of whats going on, yesterday CBP sent out a agency wide email that they are pretty much cutting back on our overtime. Scheduled overtime which is 95% of how we get OT will now be time and a half (Goodbye Double time OT), and unscheduled, last second OT will be Double Time ( Which will rarely happen) All in part of us topping out at GS-12 AND congress asking all federal agencies to make cutbacks.
                        That is not quite what that memo meant.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                          That is not quite what that memo meant.

FB
                          Please elaborate then because after my PD deciphered the D.C. Lingo, that pretty much what we were told lol. Eitherway, IT'S NOT GOOD! lol.
                          N.Y.P.D.

January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Comment

Please elaborate then because after my PD decyphered the D.C. Lingo, that pretty much what we were told lol. Eitherway, IT'S NOT GOOD! lol.
                            This is something that has been floating around for sometime. For almost all officers it will mean no difference at all. This was for example for time that a k-9 handler was taking care of his dog before or after his scheduled shift. The work was for the benefit of the agency, the supervisor did not have to request that it be done but the supervisor knew that it had to be done but could have told the officer to do it during thier shift. Which is what the agency did to get around having to pay the officer.

I suggest that you read the memo again. Especially, the third paragraph where it states the following:

CBP has established and implemented procedures to allow you to receive the greater overtime payment due under either COPRA or FLSA. Since your overtime compensation will result from the greater amount payable under either COPRA or FLSA, you could receive minimal or no FLSA overtime payment(s). This is because FLSA overtime is paid at a rate of time and one-half, whereas COPRA is paid at twice your hourly rate. This procedure is in accordance with the regulatory guidance in 5 C.F.R. § 551.513

CBP did not take away double time. Most overtime rather scheduled or last minute is assigned by a supervisor. This more than likely will affect less than 1% of all officers.

You might be better served by contacting the number at the bottom of the memo that was listed to call if you have questions.

Please, try to be careful about info posted on the boards because people read it and think it must be gospel. In this case the information was totally wrong.

FB
                            Last edited by Firebug; 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Thats the point im trying to make lol. I have no shame in saying that if I get called for NYPD, I will leave CBP for the simple fact that just when you think hard working CBPO's finally get the recognition we deserve and at least match us with the salaries of other competative agencies, they take things away from us. So even when we get the 12, its less then an 11 and making double time OT.

Im not bashing my agency, I really do love CBP its just sad we are not getting the recognition we deserve.

The whole reason why CBP gave us 12 is because of the turnover rate problem of CBPO's leaving for better compensating agencies. But then, they turn around and take away double time OT. So technically, nothing was gained. I'd rather take AUO then this crap. So for all you applicants out there, the future is looking brighter for you all. Good luck.

Man way to go spreading rumors that are untrue!

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                                This is something that has been floating around for sometime. For almost all officers it will mean no difference at all. This was for example for time that a k-9 handler was taking care of his dog before or after his scheduled shift. The work was for the benefit of the agency, the supervisor did not have to request that it be done but the supervisor knew that it had to be done but could have told the officer to do it during thier shift. Which is what the agency did to get around having to pay the officer.

I suggest that you read the memo again. Especially, the third paragraph where it states the following:

CBP has established and implemented procedures to allow you to receive the greater overtime payment due under either COPRA or FLSA. Since your overtime compensation will result from the greater amount payable under either COPRA or FLSA, you could receive minimal or no FLSA overtime payment(s). This is because FLSA overtime is paid at a rate of time and one-half, whereas COPRA is paid at twice your hourly rate. This procedure is in accordance with the regulatory guidance in 5 C.F.R. § 551.513

CBP did not take away double time. Most overtime rather scheduled or last minute is assigned by a supervisor. This more that likely will affect less than 1% of all officers.

You might be better served by contacting the number at the bottom of the memo that was listed to call if you have questions.

Please, try to be careful about info posted on the boards because people read it and think it must be gospel. In this case the information was totally wrong.

FB
                                My apologies to you or anyone who may have been misinformed from my post. I will definately get a second opinion from that number concerning that memo. But when I tell you the face of everyone when I walked into work yesterday....PRICELESS. I guess sometimes the word of the head honcho may be wrong also sometimes lol.
                                N.Y.P.D.

January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8827 users online. 251 members and 8576 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X