300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jonm0303 View Post
    So are CBPO's allowed Federal LEO carry benefits once they arrive at their assignment, ie...carry through airports and such? CBPO seems to get messed with a lot in the sense that they get some LEO benefits, and then not some others. It's just kind of odd.
    You are an LEO upon graduation from FLETC, but you don't get your gun till you report back to your port. There are some good reasons for that, mainly because they don't want people traveling with a gun until they get a little more comfortable with it. And most importantly it's a liability thing to have weapons as checked luggage, ie getting your luggage lost becomes a much much much bigger deal than if it was just your dirty drawers. You can't carry on an airline until you complete the special firearms course for airline travel, you won't get that until sometime in the near or far future.

CBPO's are LEO's except for pay and kinda retirement. In the beginning CBPO's were going to get full 12D (LE) retirement but it was modified after it was written. The retirement is almost exactly the same, so no big deal. LEO pay only helps going through the ranks, but once you make GS11 after 3 or 4 years, we all make the same amount.
    Last edited by robeans; 05-21-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonm0303 View Post
      So are CBPO's allowed Federal LEO carry benefits once they arrive at their assignment, ie...carry through airports and such? CBPO seems to get messed with a lot in the sense that they get some LEO benefits, and then not some others. It's just kind of odd.
      CBPO is kind of a step child in the gubment LE circles. Unless you are assigned to work at an airport, do not expect to be carrying your pistol through one. Don't even think of carrying one on a plane. Just do your eight and out the gate.

Comment

• Thanks for the replies. It's no big deal to me, just curious from the previous posts. I was under the assumption that all FLEO could carry through and since CBPO is Federal... I definitely have gotten plenty of "carry time" in my previous career so I'm more than okay with "eight and out the gate" if I start this career. Take care and thanks again for your explanations.
        I and the public know
        What all schoolchildren learn,
        Those to whom evil is done
        Do evil in return.

-W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmouredSainT View Post
          CBPO is kind of a step child in the gubment LE circles. Unless you are assigned to work at an airport, do not expect to be carrying your pistol through one. Don't even think of carrying one on a plane. Just do your eight and out the gate.
          As long as your a federal LEO (which CBPO's are considered) and you complete the required training (can't remember the name right now) you can carry concealed on domestic flights. There are numerous CBPO's I know that carry on flights. They usually get put in touch with the FAM (if there is one on the flight) before hand, but it never seems to be a problem.

Comment

• Carrying a weapon on a flight...

My understanding is you must have written authorization from your Area Port Director.

The course mentioned below that must be taken is the FAA's "LEO Flying Armed"
            Originally posted by robeans View Post
            As long as your a federal LEO (which CBPO's are considered) and you complete the required training (can't remember the name right now) you can carry concealed on domestic flights. There are numerous CBPO's I know that carry on flights. They usually get put in touch with the FAM (if there is one on the flight) before hand, but it never seems to be a problem.
            Last edited by bronze01; 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Anyone here that tested in March for PA receive a TO yet?
              ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
              Written: 5/15/08
              NOR: 5/20/08
              TO: 10/28/08
              Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
              Fitness: 2/02/09
              BI: 3/15/09
              OB: 4/24
              EOD: 7/27
              FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
              Written: 3/15/08
              NOR: 4/2/08
              TO: 5/22/08
              Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
              Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
              VBT: 6/30/08
              Drug Test: 7/10/08
              Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
              Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
              BI submitted: 10/10/08
              TSU: 4/2/09
              Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
              EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by JDNoble81 View Post
                Anyone here that tested in March for PA receive a TO yet?
                I am for PA but I tested in November. I have completed all steps so far except right now my BI is "in the security office."

Comment

• Without getting too detailed about why, the fact is they can't except under certain instances and the test for it is high.
                  I personally do not care who carries on a plane and I know cbpo's who do. Any LE officer can carry on a plane whether federal or not. It just depends if the carrier will allow you to have it. Local pd's picking up suspects on warrants sometimes carry while on the plane is an example. Make sure that that cbp officer was not in fact a cbp border patrol agent who can and do carry routinely.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
                    My understanding is you must have written authorization from your Area Port Director.

The course mentioned below that must be taken is the FFA's "LEO Flying Armed"
                    FFA? Do you mean the FAA?
                    ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                    Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                    March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                    July 09 Oral Board
                    Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                    Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmouredSainT View Post
                      Without getting too detailed about why, the fact is they can't except under certain instances and the test for it is high.
                      I personally do not care who carries on a plane and I know cbpo's who do. Any LE officer can carry on a plane whether federal or not. It just depends if the carrier will allow you to have it. Local pd's picking up suspects on warrants sometimes carry while on the plane is an example. Make sure that that cbp officer was not in fact a cbp border patrol agent who can and do carry routinely.
                      No BPA's around here, just CBPO's.

Comment

• Deleted due to operational security.
                        Last edited by ArmouredSainT; 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM. Reason: operational security

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Opps

Darn fingers. You are correct, FAA. Fixed original post. Thx.

Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                            FFA? Do you mean the FAA?

Comment

• tigers2007, welcome to our world. 50 to 70 CBPO's depart the agency every two weeks. What does that tell you?

Comment

• To

I am in CASS now. Which only means I will be receiving a TO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10748 users online. 374 members and 10374 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X