300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
    called mhc today. my fitness expires in a few weeks and was wondering why a new appointment hasn't been set up. i was told that they will set up a retest 30 days before i EOD. i asked if this was new and was told yes. has anyone else heard this? i don't recall seeing any posts describing such.

i can't help but feel that this is a bad sign.

That's interesting. Are you still in TSU per CASS? I'd like to know what happens since mine expires in Jan. Makes sense though if they want to save money why retest over and over again? Hope that doesn't mean we will be in TSU for 2 more years!
    CBPO
    Test: July 2008
    TO: 12/26/08
    VBT 1/21/09-passed
    Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
    Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
    Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
    BI - Cleared
    TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
    BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
    Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
      Yesterday I was reading the most recent American Rifleman which has a story on the Beretta 92M. Since most branches of the US military have adopted it (Coast Guard switched to a SIG a few years ago) as their handgun of choice why didn't CBP? Just curious. The article said over 400000 of them were ordered in the 1990s after the first batch.

My other question is what exactly is the "CBP" way to shoot? Is it how you grab your weapon from its holster, how you hold it, what hand you use to reload the magazine? I know, I know, you have to be trained to shoot "CBP's way" but how/why is that way better for someone who for arguments sake is already a dead shot from 0-200 yards, expert marksman, been shooting cans since the age of 3, etc, etc?

In CBP is drawing your sidearm a means of last resort? Ie, once you draw your piece you're doing so to protect yourself or your fellow officers and the intent at that point is to shoot to kill if you are shot at first?

I asked my cop friend this last question giving the example of "can't you just shoot someone in the leg" to get them to stop doing whatever it is that you want them to stop doing, and he said no, his agency has an escalation matrix that they must follow in each case and the last step is to draw your weapon and when you do, you are doing so with the intent of killing your target.
      I'm not going to get into the specifics of how CBP wants you to shoot. It would be too long and without actually doing it can be rather confusing to type it up. Their way is one of many acceptable methods of shooting. One I happen to disagree with, but have to admit it is much more accurate than my old style when shooting at a piece of paper.

The description of your friend's answer might have been lost somewhere in translation. If you come on a scene where a man is using a baseball bat to beat the crap out of some guy, you can go straight to verbal commands with pistol drawn and shooting if the commands are not followed immediately. Conversely if you arrive on scene and two little kids are in a fist fight, you better try to break up the fight with your hands before using any other tools. There are many things that must be taken into consideration before any use of force.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
        So it seems they are letting things expire until they are ready for you to EOD instead of spending the money to retest you 3 different times if you are already in TSU. Seems like a wise idea. Maybe they will save enough money to start hiring again!! ha!!
        Hey Cajunchick, I'm not sure I understand what you mean in the above post. I'm a little slow sometimes. Haha. Do you mean that at the rate they are hiring that each person in TSU should expect a fitness test expiration or medical expiration, etc., before they get an EOD? That would bean that people in TSU should expect to wait at least a year before EOD. I sincerely hope I misreading this. Haha. And if if is true, is this just conjecture or is it official hiring practice at the moment?

I am probably over reacting. But seeing info like this freaks me the hell out.
        "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by Feiu View Post
          Merlin any idea when Florida will open back up?
          `

No.

Between now and next Oct. 1st, CBP will have to hire and train roughly 1000 new Officers. That's about as good as I can give.

Comment

• Also, what airport do we fly into when we report to FLETC? And are we responsible for our own transportation from the airport to FLETC?

I am hoping that the answers to these questions will come in handy sooner than later
            "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
              Hey Cajunchick, I'm not sure I understand what you mean in the above post. I'm a little slow sometimes. Haha. Do you mean that at the rate they are hiring that each person in TSU should expect a fitness test expiration or medical expiration, etc., before they get an EOD? That would bean that people in TSU should expect to wait at least a year before EOD. I sincerely hope I misreading this. Haha. And if if is true, is this just conjecture or is it official hiring practice at the moment?

I am probably over reacting. But seeing info like this freaks me the hell out.
              I was just commenting on an earlier post thats all. Sorry to confuse you!! I sometimes get ahead of myself!! Anyway..the post is below:

"called mhc today. my fitness expires in a few weeks and was wondering why a new appointment hasn't been set up. i was told that they will set up a retest 30 days before i EOD. i asked if this was new and was told yes. has anyone else heard this? i don't recall seeing any posts describing such."

Posted by: anydaynow

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                Also, what airport do we fly into when we report to FLETC? And are we responsible for our own transportation from the airport to FLETC?

I am hoping that the answers to these questions will come in handy sooner than later
                The airport you fly into will be JAX. From there, you will take a bus to FLETC. The alternative is to have someone from your class who has driven their POV (and who you have made prior arrangements with) to pick you up, or you can rent a car. My advice: take the bus; save yourself the $$ and the headache of trying to coordinate with someone else.
                sigpicTwo is one,
                one is none.

Comment

• There are some (not many) flights into/out of Brunswick.

Comment

• Happy thanksgiving my fellow "waiting for a CBP job" folks. Hope you all enjoy this special time with your family and friends. Alot of folks got TOs as christmas gifts last year...I wonder if they would be so good as to grace us with some news...ANY NEWS!

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
                      I was just commenting on an earlier post thats all. Sorry to confuse you!! I sometimes get ahead of myself!! Anyway..the post is below:

"called mhc today. my fitness expires in a few weeks and was wondering why a new appointment hasn't been set up. i was told that they will set up a retest 30 days before i EOD. i asked if this was new and was told yes. has anyone else heard this? i don't recall seeing any posts describing such."

Posted by: anydaynow
                      Ah, I see now. Sorry, I get freaked out easily these days. I'm at day 187 in TSU this week - over six months. I don't think I can handle six more!

Comment

• Hey Guys. I just recently heard from one of the instructors down here at FLETC that the hiring is going to be slowing down. I nor they have any reason why it is going to be slowing down. All ports could defitinely use more bodies. I have heard from instructors that they have been talking about increasing the overtime from 35K to 50K per year. I do not know if that has anything to do with the proposed slowing down of hiring of CBP officers. The next class is expected to arrive in mid December. I am not hear to spread ruomors but rather information that I have heard from upper management at FLETC. I wish you all the best in the process and please come down to FLETC in shape. Please don't embarrass yourself or CBP when you take the new PT exam because you already know what they are looking for.....so long

Comment

• Originally posted by LSExplorer22 View Post
                          Hey Guys. I just recently heard from one of the instructors down here at FLETC that the hiring is going to be slowing down. I nor they have any reason why it is going to be slowing down. All ports could defitinely use more bodies. I have heard from instructors that they have been talking about increasing the overtime from 35K to 50K per year. I do not know if that has anything to do with the proposed slowing down of hiring of CBP officers. The next class is expected to arrive in mid December. I am not hear to spread ruomors but rather information that I have heard from upper management at FLETC. I wish you all the best in the process and please come down to FLETC in shape. Please don't embarrass yourself or CBP when you take the new PT exam because you already know what they are looking for.....so long
                          Uuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhh

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                            Yesterday I was reading the most recent American Rifleman which has a story on the Beretta 92M. Since most branches of the US military have adopted it (Coast Guard switched to a SIG a few years ago) as their handgun of choice why didn't CBP? Just curious. The article said over 400000 of them were ordered in the 1990s after the first batch.

My other question is what exactly is the "CBP" way to shoot? Is it how you grab your weapon from its holster, how you hold it, what hand you use to reload the magazine? I know, I know, you have to be trained to shoot "CBP's way" but how/why is that way better for someone who for arguments sake is already a dead shot from 0-200 yards, expert marksman, been shooting cans since the age of 3, etc, etc?

In CBP is drawing your sidearm a means of last resort? Ie, once you draw your piece you're doing so to protect yourself or your fellow officers and the intent at that point is to shoot to kill if you are shot at first?

I asked my cop friend this last question giving the example of "can't you just shoot someone in the leg" to get them to stop doing whatever it is that you want them to stop doing, and he said no, his agency has an escalation matrix that they must follow in each case and the last step is to draw your weapon and when you do, you are doing so with the intent of killing your target.
                            We just got rid of the Berretta, issued to INS in the form of the 96D. It was not popular among the troops, and we firearms instructors noted a decrease in shooting scores among those issued the pistol as opposed to the H&K. The pistol works well for military use, but not for uniformed police carry (A 5 inch auto is hard to carry concealed, or carry while doing inspections).

Deadly force is just that, it kills. The use of force is not simple and will be explained fully at FLETC.

By the way, shooting people in the leg will still kill them very effectivly and much more painfully.
                            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

Last edited by anthony30; 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM.
                              CBPO

Comment

• Remove me from Newark, NJ-TSU 7/30/09-magl23 and place me in Vermont. The TSU date remains the same, thanks.
                                A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well, and to help those
                                who are doing well to do even better.- Jim Rohn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17684 users online. 532 members and 17152 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X