Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• called mhc today. my fitness expires in a few weeks and was wondering why a new appointment hasn't been set up. i was told that they will set up a retest 30 days before i EOD. i asked if this was new and was told yes. has anyone else heard this? i don't recall seeing any posts describing such.

i can't help but feel that this is a bad sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
      called mhc today. my fitness expires in a few weeks and was wondering why a new appointment hasn't been set up. i was told that they will set up a retest 30 days before i EOD. i asked if this was new and was told yes. has anyone else heard this? i don't recall seeing any posts describing such.

i can't help but feel that this is a bad sign.
      You should of received an e-mail from the MHC that reads like this:

Dear Applicant:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you of changes related to the Border Patrol Agent position for which you have received a conditional offer of employment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

During your training at the BP Academy, you will be expected to fully participate in a number of vigorous training activities. These activities will include: Arrest Techniques training, Defensive Tactics training, Collapsible Straight Baton training and daily physical conditioning. Physical conditioning is very intense, and includes Muscular Endurance Training, Mobility Training, Strength Training and runs of varying speeds and distances. These physical training activities will be conducted both indoors, in state of the art athletic facilities, and outdoors on fields, tracks and roadways. Often times, the training is conducted under hot and humid conditions.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties as a Border Patrol Agent, a second pre-employment fitness test (PFT 2) has been developed.

The PFT 2 will consist of:

(1) 220 yard run - must be completed in 46 seconds or less
      (2) Sit-ups 25 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
      (3) Push ups 20 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
      (4) 1.5 mile run - must be completed in 15 minutes or less

The PFT 2 will occur no more than 30 days prior to your effective date at the Border Patrol Academy. The PFT 2 will take place at twenty-one locations throughout the United States, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. You will be responsible for getting yourself to and from the PFT 2. Any expenses incurred in doing so will be your responsibility. You have an opportunity to select where you wish to take the PFT 2 from among those 21 locations. Please complete and return the attached ÒTest Location Preference FormÓ by: December 4, 2009. If you fail to return the requested document by the deadline, we will assume you are no longer interested in the above position and the offer will be automatically withdrawn. This is the only notice you will receive.

Please read the attached fact sheet entitled Border Patrol Agent Candidate Pre-employment Fitness Test 2 (PFT 2) Frequently Asked Questions.

Note if you do not successfully pass the PFT 2, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process. To prepare for the PFT 2, refer to the Border Patrol Agent Fitness Testing Fact Sheet previously provided in the Tentative Selection Packet and practice the actual tests on a gradual and progressive basis until you are able to complete them as required. You will also find additional information regarding PFT 2 and other fitness related information at www.cbp.gov. We encourage you to take advantage of the time you have while waiting to be contacted to ensure that you get in shape and stay in shape - regardless of your current level of conditioning - so that you will be adequately prepared for the rigorous fitness program at the Academy.

If you have any changes in your medical history between the time you completed the pre-employment medical examination and the time you are scheduled to attend the Border Patrol Academy, please notify our office immediately so the issue can be addressed before you attempt to complete the PFT 2.

If your contact information changes, including your email address, it is very important that you notify this office so your records can be updated.

You may check the status of your application in the Central Applicant Self-Service program on the web at https://apps.cbp.gov/cass/. If you have any specific questions relating to the PFT 2, please contact any member of our staff at (612) 467-7042 or via email at [email protected].

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection."

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXX
      Chief, Pre-employment Clearance
      Services Branch

Attached: Frequently Asked Questions
      Test Location Preference Form
      sigpicTwo is one,
      one is none.

Comment

• i have never received such an email. i got one back in june discussing the new fitness test changes. i noticed your post said it was for bpa's. does that also apply to cbpo's? do i have to hurry up and choose a location for the test before 12/4 or i'll be disqualified?

Comment

i have never received such an email. i got one back in june discussing the new fitness test changes. i noticed your post said it was for bpa's. does that also apply to cbpo's? do i have to hurry up and choose a location for the test before 12/4 or i'll be disqualified?
          While CBPO applicants will not have to undergo a PFT2 like BPA applicants, CBPO applicants will have an amended fitness test that they will be required to pass prior to EOD. This amended fitness test is nothing like the PFT2 BPA applicants must undergo, however it is different from the fitness test that has been used in the past. You do not have to "hurry up and choose a location for the test." You will be notified as to when and where by the MHC, so by all means relax. I posted the PFT2 e-mail that was sent out to BPA applicants, to give you an idea as to what the e-mail will look like when the MHC sends it to you for the CBPO position. It will look similar, however the content will be different. Didn't mean to startle you.
          sigpicTwo is one,
          one is none.

Comment

• Any idea when hiring will open up again? Any idea as to the locations? Many thanks!
            Last edited by Feiu; 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twoisone View Post
              While CBPO applicants will not have to undergo a PFT2 like BPA applicants, CBPO applicants will have an amended fitness test that they will be required to pass prior to EOD. This amended fitness test is nothing like the PFT2 BPA applicants must undergo, however it is different from the fitness test that has been used in the past. You do not have to "hurry up and choose a location for the test." You will be notified as to when and where by the MHC, so by all means relax. I posted the PFT2 e-mail that was sent out to BPA applicants, to give you an idea as to what the e-mail will look like when the MHC sends it to you for the CBPO position. It will look similar, however the content will be different. Didn't mean to startle you.
              I understand. It still seems odd that my fitness is going to expire. I understand them wanting you in better shape before heading to FLETC and testing you. But this is the first I'm hearing of the Fitness qualification expiring and then retesting right before EOD. Did they change the initial process as well? That you don't take the fitness until you EOD? It sounds like since they don't know what future hiring trends may look like, they don't want to shell out any more money. It makes sense, just sucks for me.

Comment

It sounds like since they don't know what future hiring trends may look like, they don't want to shell out any more money. It makes sense, just sucks for me.

Sucks for all of us. I'm getting the feeling that we've gotta wait until they toss this lousy administration out of office in 3 years before hiring starts up again. It seems like protecting our citizens from threats abroad is going to take a backseat to protecting U.S. citizens from other U.S. citizens for the near future. I should have applied to the ATF.

I know it is a major recession and the government shouldn't spend more money than it needs to on low priority staffing, but doesn't it feel just a little bit like the dems are screwing us personally? It's like they are getting back at me for not voting for them in a million years. It's a consolation to feel like I did something to ask for the wait ;-/
                Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 11-24-2009, 09:01 PM.
                CBPO
                GEO - NY/JFK
                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                PE Forms - Completed
                Fitness - Completed
                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                Drug Screen - Completed
                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                TSU

EOD: ???
                FLETC: ???

Comment

• "But this is the first I'm hearing of the Fitness qualification expiring and then retesting right before EOD. Did they change the initial process as well? That you don't take the fitness until you EOD?"

No. The Fitness component has, and will probably always be a part of CBP's pre-employment process. The score for the Fitness component is good for a year, and then must be re-done; this has been the law of the land for quite some time. The fact that your Fitness has expired, and will be scheduled again to re-certify you prior to your EOD, is merely chance. There are hundreds of applicants whose Fitness will expire, will have to do it over again, and by that time they will not have even made it to the TSU stage of the game.

The only real cost cutting move I have seen is that some agencies are now waiting for their applicants to get through all of the other stages of the pre-employment process, before beginning the field investigating part of the BI.
                  sigpicTwo is one,
                  one is none.

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeCBP

Wow, even Merlin stops with the B.S. once in awhile.
                    Care to post an example of my alleged "BS"? I'm not recalling any. This is a huge agency with 300+ ports and 21000+ Officers, nothing anybody says will likely hold true everywhere and with everyone. That's just the nature of the CBP beast.

I think I've played things pretty straight on this board. Neither too optimistic or pessimistic...but right down the middle.

Comment

• Merlin any idea when Florida will open back up?

Comment

• anthony30

Can you add me to the ever growing TSU list?

TSU since 12/23/2008 for E.TX

Comment

• So it seems they are letting things expire until they are ready for you to EOD instead of spending the money to retest you 3 different times if you are already in TSU. Seems like a wise idea. Maybe they will save enough money to start hiring again!! ha!!
                          Last edited by cajunchik; 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Yesterday I was reading the most recent American Rifleman which has a story on the Beretta 92M. Since most branches of the US military have adopted it (Coast Guard switched to a SIG a few years ago) as their handgun of choice why didn't CBP? Just curious. The article said over 400000 of them were ordered in the 1990s after the first batch.

My other question is what exactly is the "CBP" way to shoot? Is it how you grab your weapon from its holster, how you hold it, what hand you use to reload the magazine? I know, I know, you have to be trained to shoot "CBP's way" but how/why is that way better for someone who for arguments sake is already a dead shot from 0-200 yards, expert marksman, been shooting cans since the age of 3, etc, etc?

In CBP is drawing your sidearm a means of last resort? Ie, once you draw your piece you're doing so to protect yourself or your fellow officers and the intent at that point is to shoot to kill if you are shot at first?

I asked my cop friend this last question giving the example of "can't you just shoot someone in the leg" to get them to stop doing whatever it is that you want them to stop doing, and he said no, his agency has an escalation matrix that they must follow in each case and the last step is to draw your weapon and when you do, you are doing so with the intent of killing your target.
                            CBP written test Miami, FL
                            11/10/2007
                            NOR letter 01/16/2008
                            VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                            Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                            Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                            9/4/2009
                            Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                            drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                            TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                            never got first)
                            qualifications completed
                            BI interview 9/30/2009
                            BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                            poly: Mar 2011
                            updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                            BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Big Wigs

Originally posted by seeOH View Post
                              Any other word from the big wigs pushing your paperwork?
                              Last was that managment wants to do another interview, have no idea on this. Dont know if its cause im here or what. They said they would do it while I was on leave from here so that eliminates the hole if im saine deal...lol. Then maybe because all my paperwork Credit ect will be out of date or is should i say... any ideas??

SGT K
                              "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Care to post an example of my alleged "BS"? I'm not recalling any. This is a huge agency with 300+ ports and 21000+ Officers, nothing anybody says will likely hold true everywhere and with everyone. That's just the nature of the CBP beast.

I think I've played things pretty straight on this board. Neither too optimistic or pessimistic...but right down the middle.
                                Sounds like HTJ is back to me I'd ignore this person.
                                CBPO
                                Test: July 2008
                                TO: 12/26/08
                                VBT 1/21/09-passed
                                Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                                Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                                Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                                BI - Cleared
                                TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                                BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                                Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12304 users online. 418 members and 11886 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X