300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
    Your physical expired? How long are they good for? I tested in Feb. 2007, and I think I did my medical around December 2007.

Good Luck to you.
    Physical is good for one year. Rumor also has it that you must re-do the physical right before you ship off for the academy --- can someone confirm this?

Question: Which is more fun to work at - Airport POE or border POE? or are they both about the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
      Physical is good for one year. Rumor also has it that you must re-do the physical right before you ship off for the academy --- can someone confirm this?

Question: Which is more fun to work at - Airport POE or border POE? or are they both about the same?
      That's a big negative about the physical.

Comment

• I just recieved a TO letter and I have a few questions that I cannot find answers to.

----In the academy, are CBP officers paid the basic GS rate with or without locality pay and special law enforcement pay?
        ----Are you issued a side arm and badge at the academy or at your duty location? (Do you recieve the side arm from the armory for your shift only or do you keep it in your possession 24/7)?
        ----I have prior federal service and want to retain the steps earned. If I am hired at a GS 7 step 3 and in one year advance to a GS-9, would I keep my step (3) or would I drop to a GS-9 step 1?

----Is it difficult to transfer between duty stations once one has successfully completed the probationary period?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone here could answer these questions for me. Thanks......

Comment

• Originally posted by johndeere455 View Post
          I just recieved a TO letter and I have a few questions that I cannot find answers to.

----In the academy, are CBP officers paid the basic GS rate with or without locality pay and special law enforcement pay? True, and we do not receive any special law enforcement pay.
          ----Are you issued a side arm and badge at the academy or at your duty location? (Do you recieve the side arm from the armory for your shift only or do you keep it in your possession 24/7) We receive our own firearm that you keep, you'll shoot it at the academy and then it's shipped to your port where you'll pick it up when you get back. You receive your badge and credentials upon graduation.
          ----I have prior federal service and want to retain the steps earned. If I am hired at a GS 7 step 3 and in one year advance to a GS-9, would I keep my step (3) or would I drop to a GS-9 step 1? I don't know for sure, but I believe you would go to step 1 unless it is less pay than your last grade.

----Is it difficult to transfer between duty stations once one has successfully completed the probationary period? Yes, possible, but yes. Swaps are easier than transfers. You'll get the rundown at your port.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone here could answer these questions for me. Thanks......

Comment

• Your firearm is shipped to your port? What is the reasoning behind that? After graduation you are a CBPO with 24/7 carrry, right? Unless they don't want Gung-Ho CBPO's trying to take their new firearms on an airplane and show them off.
            ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
            Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
            March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
            July 09 Oral Board
            Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
            Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                Your firearm is shipped to your port? What is the reasoning behind that? After graduation you are a CBPO with 24/7 carrry, right? Unless they don't want Gung-Ho CBPO's trying to take their new firearms on an airplane and show them off.

Bingo!!!

Too many instances to count of new officers getting into trouble trying to be super crime fighters enroute from FLETC to their duty assignments. Plus, your port is going to make you qualify in front of them to make sure you really can shoot the pretty paper target.

Comment

• Originally posted by FmrHammerMonkey View Post
                  Bingo!!!

Too many instances to count of new officers getting into trouble trying to be super crime fighters enroute from FLETC to their duty assignments. Plus, your port is going to make you qualify in front of them to make sure you really can shoot the pretty paper target.
                  Well if I can't walk through an airport, and right though security with my Miami Vice shoulder holster and my piece, then I'm not sure if I want the job......

I'm kidding, in case it's not obvious. I'm just hoping to get the job.
                  ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                  Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                  March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                  July 09 Oral Board
                  Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                  Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Robeans----- Thanks for clearing up the questions I had.

Now to determine starting pay I found the pay scales at the personnel management home page under pay tables. Is our pay rates for cbpo located under "Law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables" or under "General schedule and locality pay tables". I know when I worked for the FBOP we were under the "law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables". Thanks again for the answers submitted......

Comment

Robeans----- Thanks for clearing up the questions I had.

Now to determine starting pay I found the pay scales at the personnel management home page under pay tables. Is our pay rates for cbpo located under "Law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables" or under "General schedule and locality pay tables". I know when I worked for the FBOP we were under the "law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables". Thanks again for the answers submitted......
                      General Scale

Comment

Robeans----- Thanks for clearing up the questions I had.

Ok--- I was just contacted by personnel and they said that my starting date could be as early as June. They said that this position at this time is not considered a law enforcement position and that my starting salary could be found on the general schedule. If and when the law enforcement retirement takes effect in july, are we going to jump to the "law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables"? I am going to contact them again tomorrow, so If I don't get a response here I will post their response. Thanks......

Comment

Ok--- I was just contacted by personnel and they said that my starting date could be as early as June. They said that this position at this time is not considered a law enforcement position and that my starting salary could be found on the general schedule. If and when the law enforcement retirement takes effect in july, are we going to jump to the "law enforcement special base rates and locality pay tables"? I am going to contact them again tomorrow, so If I don't get a response here I will post their response. Thanks......

CBPO's will receive law enforcement retirement, but not LE pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                            CBPO's will receive law enforcement retirement, but not LE pay.
                            You beat me to it.
                            ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
                            Written: 5/15/08
                            NOR: 5/20/08
                            TO: 10/28/08
                            Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
                            Fitness: 2/02/09
                            BI: 3/15/09
                            OB: 4/24
                            EOD: 7/27
                            FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
                            Written: 3/15/08
                            NOR: 4/2/08
                            TO: 5/22/08
                            Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
                            Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
                            VBT: 6/30/08
                            Drug Test: 7/10/08
                            Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
                            Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
                            BI submitted: 10/10/08
                            TSU: 4/2/09
                            Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
                            EOD:

Comment

• Technically, CBPO's will receive CBPO retirement...not LEO retirement. CBPO's were not defined as LEO's for retirement purposes, but were tacked on to end of the list of "non-LEO's" who receive the enhanced retirement package.

Comment

• Originally posted by FmrHammerMonkey View Post
                                Bingo!!!

So are CBPO's allowed Federal LEO carry benefits once they arrive at their assignment, ie...carry through airports and such? CBPO seems to get messed with a lot in the sense that they get some LEO benefits, and then not some others. It's just kind of odd.
                                I and the public know
                                What all schoolchildren learn,
                                Those to whom evil is done
                                Do evil in return.

-W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7412 users online. 380 members and 7032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X