300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
    I'm used to running on a track and I havn't run in 2 weeks because It has been uncomfortably cold out. Is 13:00 mins on a treadmill for the 1.5 synonomous with 13:00 mins on the track for a 1.5?

I'm gonna go for 12:00 by the end of the month if it is. Or even if it isn't
    No it is not. Run outside dude. Pounding pavement is different than a treadmill.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• My treadmill times are almost always 1-2 minutes faster than real life running, if that helps. I'd count on dropping the 1.5 run time down to 12...or even less, if you can.

The better you can run, the better shape you're in, the easier the academy PT will be for you. Plus, from what I've heard from rumors and such, there's talk of a fitness test being implemented for those on the job. Getting good at running today may also pay off 5-10 years down the road.

Comment

I'm from the furtherst county downstate, on the border of where the city melds back into the bumblefark.

I run at 7 pm. It's pitch black, my track has no lights whatsoever. Maybe I meant more emotionally cold than physically

I stopped running 2 weeks ago because it was cold, then I wasn't feeling well last week. Planet fitness is $10 a month with no sign up minimum which is insane, so I just started that.
        It's hard to stay motivated to run when it's dark and cold. I tell you what has worked for me. I have started running a 5k every other weekend. The competition keeps me motivated and pushes me to improve my times. Running on the treadmill does not compare to running on the road. The treadmill moves your feet for you. Just have to get out there and double time. I am sure the people around my neighborhood think I am crazy because I listen to Marine Corps running cadences on my IPod while running at night.
        CBPO East Texas
        TO: 3/3/09
        Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
        Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
        Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
        VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
        Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
        Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
        BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
        TSU: 8/27/09
        FCRA: 05/19/10
        BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC0844 View Post
          It's hard to stay motivated to run when it's dark and cold. I tell you what has worked for me. I have started running a 5k every other weekend. The competition keeps me motivated and pushes me to improve my times. Running on the treadmill does not compare to running on the road. The treadmill moves your feet for you. Just have to get out there and double time. I am sure the people around my neighborhood think I am crazy because I listen to Marine Corps running cadences on my IPod while running at night.
          Right. I run a 1.5 on a track in the outside lane in around 13 mins plus a few miles a couple of times per week, like I have all summer to late fall. I was just warming up today after not running for 2 weeks and wanted to know how the treadmill compared.

I'm not too thrilled about running outside in the pitch black as a long Island winter creeps in. I'll get my treadmill time to 12 by next week and finish the winter out with an 11 or so. That oughta take me into the spring without a gut. I doubt Georgia will be biting cold when I get there 3 years from now.

When you say road, are you suggesting that the time trials are held on roads rather than the track down at Fletc?

I really don't understand how such a nice high school track has zero lighting
          Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 11-18-2009, 10:52 PM.
          CBPO
          GEO - NY/JFK
          TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
          PE Forms - Completed
          Fitness - Completed
          VBT - 03/09 - Completed
          Drug Screen - Completed
          Qual - 05/09 - Completed
          B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
          Medical - 05/09 - Completed
          TSU

EOD: ???
          FLETC: ???

Comment

• So of course it is that time of year when everyone is being asked what they want for Christmas. I'm gonna tell everyone I want a phone call with an offer for CBP or ICE.....that would be the best gift ever!
            Geo Area: SFO/OAK
            Written: 08/23/08- 92 (87+5)
            NOR: 09/2008
            TO: 09/25/08
            Medical/Physical:10/08,09/09,10/09
            Drug Test: 11/2008
            Oral Board: 12/03/08
            BI: 03/12/2009 (Initiated 10/2008)
            Qualifications: 03/17/09
            Referred to TSU:03/19/09

IEA Agent
            Geo Area: San Francisco County
            Written:05/26/09
            T.O.:08/28/09
            Pre-Employment Forms Sent To DSC: 09/11/09
            Medical/Fitness:11/02/09
            Interview:PASSED on 11/16/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Burrell707 View Post
              So of course it is that time of year when everyone is being asked what they want for Christmas. I'm gonna tell everyone I want a phone call with an offer for CBP or ICE.....that would be the best gift ever!
              Without a doubt
              Geo: Illinois
              Test Score: 94
              Quals: GS-7
              T.O.: 8/7/2007
              Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

I'm used to running on a track and I havn't run in 2 weeks because It has been uncomfortably cold out. Is 13:00 mins on a treadmill for the 1.5 synonomous with 13:00 mins on the track for a 1.5?

What might help too is an incline on the treadmill. When I was training for the Marine Corp Marathon I had to do some incline training (considering you can look down a street around here and see the stoplights for the next 5 miles) and the marathon was in DC. I could always run faster on a straight stretch but you plug in a bunch of inclines and it gets your blood pumping!! I dont blame you, I cant imagine training in the cold up there but i guess its the same when people tell me they cant imagine training in the heat down here!! Best of luck to ya!!!
                Last edited by cajunchik; 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I discovered that running the same distance in the same time on the treadmill will not work when is matters. Treadmills make it easier.

I would try raising the elevation and speed on the treadmill. That will make you work harder to try and eliminate the assistance that the treadmill gives you.

I don't think you would totally bomb the PT test if you've been running on the treadmill, but I would hit the pavement at least once a week to make sure you are where you should be.

Comment

• The Run

Been running the 1.5 mile in about 12-13 minutes the last month. I'm not really pushing myself yet, and I usually stop running after i finish off the 1.5 and walk the rest of the way home. I have to run in the south florida heat, so I usually go jogging in my neighborhood late at night when there is not traffic or other runners to bump into. I'm thinking I need to be able to jog at least 2.5 miles without stopping to be in top shape.

Here is my latest playlist on the i-pod if anyone out there needs inspiration.

You're the Best Around - Karate Kid soundtrack
                    hearts on fire -rocky 4
                    What We Do - Freeway
                    Just Another Night - Mick Jagger
                    Rebel Yell / Hot in the City - Billy Idol
                    Dinner Time - Royce da 5'9"
                    Angel on my shoulder - kaskade
                    Here I come - the legendary roots crew
                    rosa parks / b.o.b./ speedballin' - outkast
                    up up and away - kid cudi
                    a star is born - jay z
                    funkin' around - outkast
                    nothing to lose -2pac

wind down with maxwell or sade.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdivola View Post
                      I usually stop running after i finish off the 1.5 and walk the rest of the way home.
                      Keep pushing after your 1.5 miles, even if it's just adding on another 100 yds. every week. If you train for exactly 1.5 miles, that is exactly what your body is going to give you. You will find that you have a lot more in the tank than you thought you did. Once you realize you can go further than you thought, it will be easier to improve your 1.5 mile time. Plus if the rumors of BP influencing OFO academy are true, I would suggest being able to do 3 miles minimum and be ready to run 5 miles occasionally.
                      CBPO East Texas
                      TO: 3/3/09
                      Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                      Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                      Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                      VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                      Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                      Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                      BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                      TSU: 8/27/09
                      FCRA: 05/19/10
                      BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• To run faster, run further. My base run is a road 3 miles. I train at beating 10 min. splits. Once a week i'll do a 5 mile run. Every other week I'll go to 1/4 mile track and make sure I'm at least 14 minutes for the 1.5. I train every day and try to watch what I eat. I sure there are better programs but this is what I do (try).
                        Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                        Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• For those of you beginning a fitness program, there is a modified version (no swimming or running in boots) of the Navy SEALS pre-BUDS workout posted for Border Patrol hopefuls at:

http://www.honorfirst.com/prebuds.htm

Category 1 of the program is 9 weeks, and let's face it, with 2 weeks notice, 4 weeks of pre-academy, and no sign of getting the call anytime soon, there is no reason you cannot do this workout. If you get through Category 1, you should be good to go for the CBPO Academy. But why stop there?

Track your running progress at www.mapmyrun.com

TuffStuff, running on the treadmill is better than not running at all... Run an extra 5 minutes and add a 1.0 incline.

I'll be watching from the sidelines with a gatorade and a snickers.
                          Last edited by Bolts56; 11-19-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post

TuffStuff, running on the treadmill is better than not running at all... Run an extra 5 minutes and add a 1.0 incline.

This is what I was lookign for. I'll run 3 miles on a treadmill per day with an incline, 3 or 4 days a week.

Clearly running on a treadmill is better than not running at all. It is probably better than running in the winter anyway. Finally somebody gets where I'm going with this.
                            CBPO
                            GEO - NY/JFK
                            TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                            PE Forms - Completed
                            Fitness - Completed
                            VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                            Drug Screen - Completed
                            Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                            B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                            Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                            TSU

EOD: ???
                            FLETC: ???

Comment

For those of you beginning a fitness program, there is a modified version (no swimming or running in boots) of the Navy SEALS pre-BUDS workout posted for Border Patrol hopefuls at:

Category 1 of the program is 9 weeks, and let's face it, with 2 weeks notice, 4 weeks of pre-academy, and no sign of getting the call anytime soon, there is no reason you cannot do this workout. If you get through Category 1, you should be good to go for the CBPO Academy. But why stop there?

Track your running progress at www.mapmyrun.com

Thanks for the info. I hate running period even more I hate running on a treadmill but in the winter in Buffalo sometimes you have no other choice!
                              CBPO
                              Test: July 2008
                              TO: 12/26/08
                              VBT 1/21/09-passed
                              Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                              Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                              Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                              BI - Cleared
                              TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                              BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                              Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

For those of you beginning a fitness program, there is a modified version (no swimming or running in boots) of the Navy SEALS pre-BUDS workout posted for Border Patrol hopefuls at:

Thats actually a good workout. I like how they have you skipping days of running to prevent injury (Most programs I find say run 3 days then take a day off..etc). I also like how it starts you from week 1. I had to lay off of running for 6 weeks and I have been spinning instead but I'm about to start running again and this gives me a guide that I can relate to. Of course I'm talking about the running only!! I cant do 1 pull up much less 3 to start off with. Anyway...thanks for sharing this with us and save me a bite of that snickers!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16087 users online. 508 members and 15579 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X