300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Some advice when applying for LE jobs. Apply everywhere!
    I would have to add that when you apply for federal jobs (not just fed LEO jobs) apply everywhere. I applied for 15 federal jobs in my area within seven months and was only selected for CBPO. With the exception of three of the jobs they were all canceled. Those three were filled by someone who had certifications I didn't have.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• True, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Laddy, many agencies with very, very few jobs and lot's and lot's of seekers. And to be so tantalizingly close (Being in TSU), to a (What Appears To Be) cool job thats pays real well. Frankly, it not easy to let it go, put it on the back burner and go to plan-B. You are correct though.
      Last edited by Thek9; 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: kant spell
      Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
      Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
        I called TSU yesterday to ask about hiring. It had been months since I last called. The lady said "we continue to fill classes for the Southern border but nothing has become available in your geo location.” (SF/OAK) I asked if she could tell if anything was coming up in the near future and she said “we have not received any requests for your geo location for a long time and I really don’t see anything coming, I’m sorry” I then asked about the rest of the country and she repeated herself, “just the southern border”
        She was very nice, kept on saying how sorry she was.
        2009 is toast, 2010 looks like it’s going to be Southern border, and I am on the verge of giving up on CBP.
        I wonder when they're going to start calling for Northern Borders (WA)...Isn't the winter Olympic coming up in Canada?
        TSU - 8/28/09
        TO - 3/2009
        On the job

Comment

• Originally posted by sr20 View Post
          I wonder when they're going to start calling for Northern Borders (WA)...Isn't the winter Olympic coming up in Canada?
          And by the time training would be complete, so would the Olympics, unless they are going to have the winter games in the summer.

I am not saying CBP is not a cool job, and yes it seems it pay somewhat ok, but again, there are other jobs and other LE jobs out there. If you applied to 15 federal jobs and CBP is the only one to select you then great, but why just wait on one port. Why not apply to others or take whatever they offer you? Just hate to hear about y'all waiting month to yrs for a call that may never come.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

And by the time training would be complete, so would the Olympics, unless they are going to have the winter games in the summer.

I am not saying CBP is not a cool job, and yes it seems it pay somewhat ok, but again, there are other jobs and other LE jobs out there. If you applied to 15 federal jobs and CBP is the only one to select you then great, but why just wait on one port. Why not apply to others or take whatever they offer you? Just hate to hear about y'all waiting month to yrs for a call that may never come.
            I understand what you're saying, and I'm actually in that position. I applied for other LE jobs as well. Unfortunately, local pd's arent hiring a lot like they use to. CBP was the only one that came back with something. As I'm still waiting for it, I am applying for other jobs.
            TSU - 8/28/09
            TO - 3/2009
            On the job

Comment

Some advice when applying for LE jobs. Apply everywhere!
              While this is very true, local LE agencies are taking just as long. That is actually why I turned to Fed LE. For example, I just got a call for Chicago PD after testing in 2006 I want Phoenix PD to start accepting apps again. They used to hire every month and now they completely stopped.
              You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
                Shoot 22 weeks!!?? That is another 6 weeks! I will do it if I have to but I hope that doesn't happen before I go!
                Yeah, that was my first thought.... 22 weeks?!?!?! an extra 6 weeks is a big jump... well, at least it's all paid...

Comment

• I was looking on other threads and it looks like some IEA's just got called within the past few days. I know its not CBP but at least somethings moving. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

BTW... It looks like for Miami and San Bernardino if anyone was wondering.
                  Last edited by cajunchik; 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaredB11381 View Post
                    86, 89??? Don't recall exactly.
                    i got an 89 and my geo pref is Boston as well..been in TSU since 11/14/2008

it's gonna be awhile for us Boston people

Comment

• Originally posted by bhov97 View Post
                      i got an 89 and my geo pref is Boston as well..been in TSU since 11/14/2008

it's gonna be awhile for us Boston people
                      I got an 89 as well with Boston as my geo pref. I had waited 6 months before transferring my score to San Fran/Oakland, and I got the TO within a week. I cant imagine if I had kept my score in Boston.

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
                        I was looking on other threads and it looks like some IEA's just got called within the past few days. I know its not CBP but at least somethings moving. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

BTW... It looks like for Miami and San Bernardino if anyone was wondering.
                        ICE is a rather small agency. There are more total CBPO's(21K+) in DHS than there are total ICE employees, to include their janitors and clerks(17-18K).

I'm not sure there's a good comparison between the hiring trends between the two. ICE can afford to do what it does because in comparison it hires far fewer people. CBP, on the other-hand, hires many times more people per year. CBP's hiring needs and goals are larger and different.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp14051 View Post
                          Thanks for the info... Hopefully Buffalo is among the ports that will be picking up soon!
                          A friend of mine actually works at the Buffalo port. He said they are way overstaffed and not looking to hire anytime soon. They currently have over 700 officers. Not good to hear.

Comment

• I'm used to running on a track and I havn't run in 2 weeks because It has been uncomfortably cold out. Is 13:00 mins on a treadmill for the 1.5 synonomous with 13:00 mins on the track for a 1.5?

I'm gonna go for 12:00 by the end of the month if it is. Or even if it isn't
                            CBPO
                            GEO - NY/JFK
                            TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                            PE Forms - Completed
                            Fitness - Completed
                            VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                            Drug Screen - Completed
                            Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                            B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                            Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                            TSU

EOD: ???
                            FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                              I'm used to running on a track and I havn't run in 2 weeks because It has been uncomfortably cold out. Is 13:00 mins on a treadmill for the 1.5 synonomous with 13:00 mins on the track for a 1.5?

I'm gonna go for 12:00 by the end of the month if it is. Or even if it isn't
                              cold out? its been awesome out past few wks where in ny are u?
                              CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by anthony30 View Post
                                cold out? its been awesome out past few wks where in ny are u?
                                I'm from the furtherst county downstate, on the border of where the city melds back into the bumblefark.

I run at 7 pm. It's pitch black, my track has no lights whatsoever. Maybe I meant more emotionally cold than physically

I stopped running 2 weeks ago because it was cold, then I wasn't feeling well last week. Planet fitness is $10 a month with no sign up minimum which is insane, so I just started that.
                                Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7940 users online. 216 members and 7724 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X