Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two great things happened in history today. The Berlin Wall came down and I was born.

As of today, I have exactly 2 more years left to get the call.
    CBP written test Miami, FL
    11/10/2007
    NOR letter 01/16/2008
    VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
    Forms 6/2/2009 completed
    Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
    9/4/2009
    Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
    drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
    TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
    never got first)
    qualifications completed
    BI interview 9/30/2009
    BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
    poly: Mar 2011
    updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
    BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• So, I just got off the phone with the CBP Port Adminsitrator for the DC area. The guy was very helpful and incredibly nice. I can't tell you how awesome it was to talk to someone who not only knew what they were talking about, but also just happy to talk.

First, he told me that the slowdown in hiring this time of year is perfectly normal. It happens every year and it isn't an indicator of some huge change in hiring practices. It's just the intersection of the fiscal years. So, to illustrate, in an area where hiring is normally high, then the calls are going out slowly. In an area where calls do not come out as often, then there are probably no calls being made at all. Things should pick up again later this month.

As for the reduction in CBPO classes at FLETC for the new fiscal year, this is true. I don't have any hard numbers. However, he said that the reduction won't effect hiring in a dramatic way. The only reason for the reduction is because, as per the new administration's request, more money is being pumped into hiring and training Border Patrol agents. I can't complain about that too much. BP agents are awesome. Haha.

As for hiring timelines, he said that it depends mainly on need and the rate of turnover at your port. Nothing we didn't know. I can't speak for other areas of the country - although I'm you all have an idea about how it is for your port - but he told me that turnover in Northern VA is VERY high. So, he told me to expect to have to wait absolutely no longer than the end of January. Which isn't too bad.

Honestly, he could have told me that I wouldn't be hired for a year from now and it would have been mostly fine. I just NEED to know what to expect.

So there it is.
      "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
        You've two years left, you're likely not to age out.

However, if you (or anybody else) nearing 37 wishes to draw CBP's attention to that fact...get a bunch of sticky notes, write something along the lines of "Approaching mandatory age limit" and sticky them to all your paperwork you send back to CBP. I'd also label the return envelope with a message along those lines. Don't forget to also politely mention it in any phone calls you might receive in regards to hiring.

Will it help you? Maybe. It can't hurt.

Edit:

Notice I said "sticky notes". Do not go defacing your paperwork with non-removeable age notations. HR will not like you if you're foolish enough to do that.
        Last edited by merlin436; 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
          So, I just got off the phone with the CBP Port Adminsitrator for the DC area. The guy was very helpful and incredibly nice. I can't tell you how awesome it was to talk to someone who not only knew what they were talking about, but also just happy to talk.

First, he told me that the slowdown in hiring this time of year is perfectly normal. It happens every year and it isn't an indicator of some huge change in hiring practices. It's just the intersection of the fiscal years. So, to illustrate, in an area where hiring is normally high, then the calls are going out slowly. In an area where calls do not come out as often, then there are probably no calls being made at all. Things should pick up again later this month.

As for the reduction in CBPO classes at FLETC for the new fiscal year, this is true. I don't have any hard numbers. However, he said that the reduction won't effect hiring in a dramatic way. The only reason for the reduction is because, as per the new administration's request, more money is being pumped into hiring and training Border Patrol agents. I can't complain about that too much. BP agents are awesome. Haha.

As for hiring timelines, he said that it depends mainly on need and the rate of turnover at your port. Nothing we didn't know. I can't speak for other areas of the country - although I'm you all have an idea about how it is for your port - but he told me that turnover in Northern VA is VERY high. So, he told me to expect to have to wait absolutely no longer than the end of January. Which isn't too bad.

Honestly, he could have told me that I wouldn't be hired for a year from now and it would have been mostly fine. I just NEED to know what to expect.

So there it is.
          Thanks for the info... Hopefully Buffalo is among the ports that will be picking up soon!
          CBPO - Buffalo-Niagara, NY
          T.O. - Dec 2008
          TSU - April 28, 2009

CBP Border Patrol Agent - Tucson, AZ Sector
          Exam - Aug 2009 (NB)
          Results - 88 - no Vet points

Switched to SB - 8/2010
          TO - 8/2010

Austin Police Department
          Applied - June 2010
          Exam - Aug 2010
          Physical - Aug 2010
          Oral - Aug 2010

Comment

• Vacations

This whole 'waiting in limbo' situation stinks. I am trying to go overseas next summer and I would like to buy my tickets now and put in my time off now but I can't because I will probably get a call when I'm gone those two weeks and then miss out on the opportunity or I'll already be working for CBP and won't be allowed to take 2 weeks of in August!! I'll wait closer to the time frame and suck up the additional last minute charges if I'm not working for CBP :/ I'm sure hiring will pick up (even if it's only a few people... can't get much worse then it is right now!) over the course of the next few months. I just don't think my geo region will be hiring anytime soon. Good thing I have a decent job. Anyone else in a similar situation? This is frustrating. I just wish they'd tell me "You have to wait another year before we hire you" rather then wait day to day.

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post
              This whole 'waiting in limbo' situation stinks. I am trying to go overseas next summer and I would like to buy my tickets now and put in my time off now but I can't because I will probably get a call when I'm gone those two weeks and then miss out on the opportunity or I'll already be working for CBP and won't be allowed to take 2 weeks of in August!! I'll wait closer to the time frame and suck up the additional last minute charges if I'm not working for CBP :/ I'm sure hiring will pick up (even if it's only a few people... can't get much worse then it is right now!) over the course of the next few months. I just don't think my geo region will be hiring anytime soon. Good thing I have a decent job. Anyone else in a similar situation? This is frustrating. I just wish they'd tell me "You have to wait another year before we hire you" rather then wait day to day.
              With NNY as a geo, I'll bet you'll be seeing a call long before next August.
              You may not get offered anywhere near where you want to go(especially if where you want to go is Albany or Syracuse)...but you'll likely get an offer.

Comment

Two great things happened in history today. The Berlin Wall came down and I was born.

As long as you have a T.O. before the age of 37, then your good to go.

Comment

• Merlin, what happens to you when you go on an overseas vacation when you are in TSU? I have heard several people on this forum mention that they want to go on vacations in other countries but when I met with my investigator, she made it clear to me that any such thing until I get hired can cause problems. The reason is that they have to question and investigate everytime you leave the country. If you leave before getting hired "officially" I would think it could slow the hiring down for you wouldnt it?? If CBP finds out, wouldnt they want to look into the reason why you're leaving even if it was just a family vacation? Im not planning a trip but I would hate for any of these guys to mess themselves up by doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopFlightInGA View Post
                    Hello everyone. I just need to vent because I am so ****ed. I tried logging into cass today and it said that my SSN and Applicant ID was not in the database. So I called and they told me I failed my fitness retest. This was a shock to me because I did 40 something pushups, 30 something sit ups, 8 lift and lowers and passed the step test which was confirmed by the lady I talked to. I am a female by the way but anyway she said I failed one of the test from the 1st part of the fitness test. But this is the kicker, my retest was given in a different location than my first fitness test. The girl that administered my fitness test was asking me what to do. I found this odd because she should have known what she was supposed to do. I believe that I was her first cbp applicant where she had to administer the new cbp fitness test. Particularly the side step test, I feel was done wrongly. advice anyone?
                    You need to call. Several people on here have had problems with the side step and it was due to the testing facilities not knowing how to administer the new test. I was the first one at my facility to get the new fitness test and mine was different from most on here, come to find out she did mine wrong. Thank goodness I passed regardless. There is a BIG miscommunication with the side step test. If you call, they will try and help you solve the problem. Search the forum because I know one guy had the same exact issue and he ended up getting it fixed and passed. You might be able to instant message him and find out the steps that he took to get it resolved. Good luck and let us know what happens!!

Comment

Two great things happened in history today. The Berlin Wall came down and I was born.

Happy Birthday!!!!! I'm still older than you!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FLA22 View Post
                        As long as you have a T.O. before the age of 37, then your good to go.

Most likely, yes. At least currently.

Who knows if that "rule" will still be in play in 2 years though?

Getting hired before 37 as a CBPO pretty much assures everyone of an option to go anywhere and do anything as federal LEO's under 12D retirement. Getting hired after 36 might well lock someone into a career as a CBPO, with few if any options available to move onward to another position.

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
                          Merlin, what happens to you when you go on an overseas vacation when you are in TSU? I have heard several people on this forum mention that they want to go on vacations in other countries but when I met with my investigator, she made it clear to me that any such thing until I get hired can cause problems. The reason is that they have to question and investigate everytime you leave the country. If you leave before getting hired "officially" I would think it could slow the hiring down for you wouldnt it?? If CBP finds out, wouldnt they want to look into the reason why you're leaving even if it was just a family vacation? Im not planning a trip but I would hate for any of these guys to mess themselves up by doing so.
                          My guess is that it would depend on the country(ies) involved and circumstances of the trip. All in all though, I'd expect it to draw a look...and probably jam things up to one degree or another.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                            All in all though, I'd expect it to draw a look...and probably jam things up to one degree or another.
                            I'm going on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in January. These guys can't hijack my life if they arn't paying my bills. MHC said it is nothing to worry about, but to give them a number to call in case they have a job offer or need to get in touch with me. Do you really think that they'll need to do a supplementary BI even though I've been in TSU for going on 6 months?

What could the problem with Puerto Rico and Antigua possibly be? Are they afraid I'll smuggle banana's into the country? I wouldn't be too paranoid. Just don't go to Burma, Belarus, Uzbekistan, etc.
                            Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM.
                            CBPO
                            GEO - NY/JFK
                            TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                            PE Forms - Completed
                            Fitness - Completed
                            VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                            Drug Screen - Completed
                            Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                            B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                            Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                            TSU

EOD: ???
                            FLETC: ???

Comment

• Last I knew, Puerto Rico was still part of the United States. Although there are more than a few groups of moonbats(think FALN and the Boricua People's Army) who act as if they are not. Not surprisingly, they're the likely reason that somebody would want to to a look into a PR trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Last I knew, Puerto Rico was still part of the United States. Although there are more than a few groups of moonbats(think FALN and the Boricua People's Army) who act as if they are not. Not surprisingly, they're the likely reason that somebody would want to to a look into a PR trip.
                                I know it's PR, AVI, Antigua and Dominica. They wanted to know about all travel in my BI, even domestic.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11152 users online. 429 members and 10723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X