300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
    OFO K9 handlers do not all get take home cars. OFO K9's are kenneled and do not live at the officers home. The officer generally drives to the port, picks up the G-ride goes to the kennel and gets the dog then goes to work. Repeats the process at the end of shift takes the dog to the kennel, G-ride back to the port then drives thier pov home.

BP has started using unmarked Ford 4 door F-150 pickup trucks for K9 vehicles. They remove the back seat and put the cage in there.

FB
    Where I live it seems they get them (South FL). I see CBP K-9 cars parked at houses etc. But yes there not like PD's, the dogs stay at a Kennel.

Sgt.K
    "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• Get ready for 12-18 month TSU averages.
      CBPO
      GEO - NY/JFK
      TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
      PE Forms - Completed
      Fitness - Completed
      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
      Drug Screen - Completed
      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
      Medical - 05/09 - Completed
      TSU

EOD: ???
      FLETC: ???

Comment

• I don't disagree with you, I just hope you're wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
          I don't disagree with you, I just hope you're wrong!
          I'll bet that I am in here for 16 or 17 months total when all is said and done. I think that is being optimistic, assuming that International airline traffic pulls out of its funk by then. Based on projections for the next two years that is not expected. I believe that airport CBP is downsizing by passive attrition. No new hires to replace outgoing officers for the next 12 months at least.
          Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM.
          CBPO
          GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
          PE Forms - Completed
          Fitness - Completed
          VBT - 03/09 - Completed
          Drug Screen - Completed
          Qual - 05/09 - Completed
          B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
          TSU

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
            Who cares about safe? Safe only matters with a wife and kids.
            My statement was kinda vague, but it was only my personal opinion. However; I respectfully have to disagree with you in your statement. Having a wife and kids are not the only reason you want to be safe. You want to have a safe mentality to accomplish your mission, whether it be in CBP or DSS. Without worrying about your safety, you become a liability to the agency you work for.
            TO: 4/09/09
            Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
            TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Plus, Officers who may have been considering retirement or jumping ship may stick around for a year or three now that GS-12 is the journeyman level. Attrition rates will be at an all-time low, if they aren't already...

We've heard experienced Officers say that not so long ago the wait times were 2 or 3 years. Those days may be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                Get ready for 12-18 month TSU averages.
                You are right. I have been in TSU almost 7 months for SF/OAK, a port that usually is always hiring. From what I gather other agencies are hiring at their normal rate, but not CBP.
                I know a guy who just got into TSU and he called to find out where he stood and TSU told him there were more than 150 people in line ahead of him and followed that with "if we were hiring at our normal rate that would put you out maybe 2.5 years, but we currently have no open positions in that area which should give you a clearer picture of where you are in the process"
                If you are in TSU it's going to be a long wait and even longer if you are at the end of the TSU line. If you are not in TSU or have not received a T.O. you might as well walk away now and save yourself a lot of stress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khue View Post
                  My statement was kinda vague, but it was only my personal opinion. However; I respectfully have to disagree with you in your statement. Having a wife and kids are not the only reason you want to be safe. You want to have a safe mentality to accomplish your mission, whether it be in CBP or DSS. Without worrying about your safety, you become a liability to the agency you work for.
                  Speaking from law enforcement experience, safety is always the number one priority. If you're thinking otherwise, you're fooling yourself and putting other people's lives in jeopardy. After a 12-16 hour shift, you're thinking, "Same s---t, different day." But up and down the line, from the chiefs all the way down to the deputies, it's always about going home to your family with the same amount of holes you started the day with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                    it's always about going home to your family with the same amount of holes you started the day with.
                    I never heard that saying before, but I like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                      Speaking from law enforcement experience, safety is always the number one priority. If you're thinking otherwise, you're fooling yourself and putting other people's lives in jeopardy. After a 12-16 hour shift, you're thinking, "Same s---t, different day." But up and down the line, from the chiefs all the way down to the deputies, it's always about going home to your family with the same amount of holes you started the day with.
                      I completely agree. HOWEVER, the implication was that a job is not safe because of its location in East Asia. If that were the case then imagine other jobs around the world in actual hotspots. The entire foreign service and US military should close up shop and go home lest they be put in some sort of danger.

My assertion is that the job is necessary, administered by the Federal government and fear of that sort should only exist when considering the well being of a family or other wards who may be put in excessive danger by the change. An able bodied adult male interested in Law Enforcement who speaks Mandarin and has no wife or kids can look into such a job. If he can't, who in the world do we expect to do the job?

No disrespect, but safety is a relative term. Precautions should always be taken to avoid unneccessary danger, but the courage to do a neccessary job should not discourage the courageous who are able to do it.

PS - That quote is pretty great.
                      Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM.
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                      PE Forms - Completed
                      Fitness - Completed
                      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                      Drug Screen - Completed
                      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                      TSU

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                        You are right. I have been in TSU almost 7 months for SF/OAK, a port that usually is always hiring. From what I gather other agencies are hiring at their normal rate, but not CBP.
                        I know a guy who just got into TSU and he called to find out where he stood and TSU told him there were more than 150 people in line ahead of him and followed that with "if we were hiring at our normal rate that would put you out maybe 2.5 years, but we currently have no open positions in that area which should give you a clearer picture of where you are in the process"
                        If you are in TSU it's going to be a long wait and even longer if you are at the end of the TSU line. If you are not in TSU or have not received a T.O. you might as well walk away now and save yourself a lot of stress.
                        When I was out processing from the military, I thought one thing for sure that would never take a hit by the recession is law enforcement. Was I wrong!! CA agencies are laying off left and right. There was a news story this summer about a fairly new CDC Officer who was laid off while off in fighting in the reserves out in Iraq. Thats how cold blooded it is. The only thing I can do it keep hope that a call will come one day. At the same time, I will continue to look around and go to school to pursue my degree. I am just thankful to have a job right now compared to some who have been on unemployment for months. The call will come!!!! (keeping all fingers and toes crossed)
                        Geo Area: SFO/OAK
                        Written: 08/23/08- 92 (87+5)
                        NOR: 09/2008
                        TO: 09/25/08
                        Medical/Physical:10/08,09/09,10/09
                        Drug Test: 11/2008
                        Oral Board: 12/03/08
                        BI: 03/12/2009 (Initiated 10/2008)
                        Qualifications: 03/17/09
                        Referred to TSU:03/19/09

IEA Agent
                        Geo Area: San Francisco County
                        Written:05/26/09
                        T.O.:08/28/09
                        Pre-Employment Forms Sent To DSC: 09/11/09
                        Medical/Fitness:11/02/09
                        Interview:PASSED on 11/16/09

Comment

• P.S. I've interviewed with 3 local PD's and every time I get a letter telling me thanks but no thanks. (I scored a 93 out of 100 on my civil service exam and speak chinese fluently)

What towns/areas did you apply for out of curiousity? I'm from Danvers and i'll be applying to local PD's soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                            Well I finally got my letter from cbp for my nopa and background. I was found unsuitable in the background and my application was withdrawn.

I had a nopa for marijuana use 9 years ago. They wanted 10 years clean. I chose to proceed and now about 6 months later I am disqualified.

If anyone else has a similar issue don't take my route and hope for the best. Well hopefully my honesty and integrity will pay off with some local pd's.

Take care.
                            That is very sad news. Good luck to you! Stay positive and maintain your honesty. It will definitely pay later.

Comment

• Could someone please define NOPA for me?

Comment

• Originally posted by shortybop View Post
                                Could someone please define NOPA for me?
                                Notice of Proposed Action, if I recall correctly. You get this when they feel something is not right, such as a failed vision or hearing test.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11165 users online. 438 members and 10727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X