300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robeans,

"I've talked to numerous BPA'a and CBPO's and 1811's who say that COPRA at a GS11 is a better deal than AUO or LEAP, you don't agree?

What about the new retirement, it's just as good as BP, you don't think so?"

The New CBPO retirement is not as good as the BPO's!, You will make about $700.00 more a month at retirement with the BPO than the CBPO positions....
    TSP helps a lot, make sure you always max out your TSP Contributions... keep your money's in the "C" fund for 15 years, then start to shuffle it to the "G" near retirement. Also, Get $100.00 a month into a roth IRA and it will help you out as well.

Of course, you could work for CBP, as a CBPO, for 20 years and then check with your BP buddies to be sure.....

Trust me.... BPO is the way to go!

Rhino!
    Last edited by RHINO6383; 05-09-2008, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• BPA might be the way to go for some people, but I don't think everyone is willing or able to pack up and move to the border region.

Also, I think, even considering one of the two careers, you probably aren't just in it for the salary rate.
      CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
        I'm pretty sure that any passing score will get you a TO in a few places like some of the SW border crossings and possibly Blaine, WA.
        which location, you think needs the most cbp officers at this time?
        do you know the amount of officers they need?

Comment

• Originally posted by RHINO6383 View Post
          Robeans,

"I've talked to numerous BPA'a and CBPO's and 1811's who say that COPRA at a GS11 is a better deal than AUO or LEAP, you don't agree?

What about the new retirement, it's just as good as BP, you don't think so?"

The New CBPO retirement is not as good as the BPO's!, You will make about $700.00 more a month at retirement with the BPO than the CBPO positions....
          TSP helps a lot, make sure you always max out your TSP Contributions... keep your money's in the "C" fund for 15 years, then start to shuffle it to the "G" near retirement. Also, Get $100.00 a month into a roth IRA and it will help you out as well.

Of course, you could work for CBP, as a CBPO, for 20 years and then check with your BP buddies to be sure.....

Trust me.... BPO is the way to go!

Rhino!
          The new CBPO retirement is the same as the current BPA retirement except that CBPO will continue to have half thier overtime figured into thier high three which is better than the BPA retirement. I will agree that job satisfaction in the BPA side is better that the CBPO side. Another thing to rember AUO is 25% of base pay also means 10 hours a week above your regular 40 hours. If you do the math that 25% for that 10 hours is at straight time.

FB

Comment

• response to hokirbird

Dear Hokiebird, you wrote:

BPA might be the way to go for some people, but I don't think everyone is willing or able to pack up and move to the border region.

Also, I think, even considering one of the two careers, you probably aren't just in it for the salary rate.

Let me explain, if I may, about assignments with CBP and the CBP BP. When you apply for employment, you accept a certain amount of risk to become a Federal Officer. If they say we have a position for you and it's not where you want to go, remember, saying no might just get you in the "do not call again" list. Accept any location they want to send you... every type of duty location is good for the experience factor. Southern Border, Northern, Sea Ports, Airports, FEDEX facilities, dont matter.... If the want to send you to Port Underwaterbasketweaving, go and make your way.

Also, I know what everyone thinks, but the fact is, it's a job that pays the bills AND ALLOWS YOU TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY WITH PRIDE, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. In the CBP you have to be a self starter no matter where you go, if you are, you will do fine.... Positive thinking is the key,

It is sort of like a Soldier in combat, we dont think about the flag or apple pie, we think about the set of boots next to us, that is what really matters. Parades and Medals come later, if you back each other up and survive it first.... Go forth and experience life, CBP is circular, sooner or later, you will meet everyone.... Also, if you wish to get promoted, having served in many types of CBP Operations is best and dont be affraid of moving, it's the best way to get the varied experience you need to climb the ladder to promotion.

Rhino!

Also,

Comment

• firebug

Firebug,

I dont know where you are getting your data on the new CBPO LEO retirement, it is not 6c at all, it is only an additional .5 % per year additional kick in by the GOV. so CBPO's will get 1.5% instead of 1.0% like they have for years... BP gets a higher rate of kick in. Opinions vary... I guess.

The mass majority of BPO's I know dont work that extra time on a regular basis so it is like getting money for working a little extra. Sometimes they work their Dupa off and then they really earn it!.

The BP is the better way to go financially and Professionally.

Have a nice one!

Rhino!

Comment

• Originally posted by I'm ready View Post
                which location, you think needs the most cbp officers at this time?
                do you know the amount of officers they need?
                I don't know anything for sure and the only ones that due know aren't talking about it.

Comment

Firebug,

I dont know where you are getting your data on the new CBPO LEO retirement, it is not 6c at all, it is only an additional .5 % per year additional kick in by the GOV. so CBPO's will get 1.5% instead of 1.0% like they have for years... BP gets a higher rate of kick in. Opinions vary... I guess.

The mass majority of BPO's I know dont work that extra time on a regular basis so it is like getting money for working a little extra. Sometimes they work their Dupa off and then they really earn it!.

Have a nice one!

Rhino!
                  It's 1.7% and is almost identical to the 12 (d) retirement. You should have received a packet explaining this stuff, age recruitments, early retirement, all that stuff. It's a little more than a little kicker added to your retirement.

Either way there are BPA's that hate their job almost as much as you do and say the same crap just in reverse.

You have been talking to BPA's on the Northern border? Cause most of the guys on the SW border work a lot of overtime.

Well you seem to absolutely hate your soon to be former job and think the BPA is the only one that does any thing, I guess you must be right. I'll quite now, go through the hiring process again, go through a military like academy and get yelled at like a kid, then go work in some of the most dangerous conditions in the US in an area that I don't want to live far away from my family. It's not all about the glamor, it's about having a good job with good pay in a good location.

Good luck with all that.

Comment

Firebug,

Have a nice one!

Rhino!
                    To be correct the “6c” law for leo hasn’t been that for years. It changed to “12d” about the time FERS came about. The Government contribution for the CBPO under the new retirement system will be 1.7% exactly the same contribution for any other covered position in the federal system, which by the way is not limited to LEO’s but also includes Federal firefighters.

I am getting my data from the statues, the agency, and the Union. Section 535 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-161) is the law that adds CBPO’s to 5 USC 8331. 5 USC 8331 is the law that defines what a covered position is. I encourage you to read them closely. I can post them if you need but they are rather long.

This legislation was crafted very carefully to ensure that CBPO’s did not lose COPRA not so much because of the double time but more so that the CBPO’s did not lose the ability to count half of their overtime towards their high three. No other covered Federal LEO has that ability which increases how much money you will get in retirement. Care was also taken as not to force out CBPO’s that will turn 57 without enough time served for a full retirement.

If you are CBPO under 37 when this takes affect it does stop your “covered clock” It is the same retirement that other covered LEO’s get with protections in it to ensure that CBPO’s keep their COPRA which is more advantageous in retirement than what “traditional covered positions” get. Compromises were taken obviously as management didn’t just give this to CBPO’s one of those compromises was not going to the GL scale which would have raised the base salary for GS 5,7,9 again in order to protect the overtime being figured in to your retirement. The GL scale and the GS scale equal out at GS 11 anyway so CBPO’s didn’t lose much.

FB

Comment

• Sorry to deviate from the topic at hand...

But anyone that just came back or is in FLETC right now? I'ave got a few questions to ask! Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                        To be correct the “6c” law for leo hasn’t been that for years. It changed to “12d” about the time FERS came about. The Government contribution for the CBPO under the new retirement system will be 1.7% exactly the same contribution for any other covered position in the federal system, which by the way is not limited to LEO’s but also includes Federal firefighters.

FB
                        12d also includes Air Traffic Controllers (My previous career).
                        sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

• Originally posted by ujocka View Post
                          12d also includes Air Traffic Controllers (My previous career).

That is correct. Sorry I didn't mean to leave anyone out.

FB

Comment

• ROBEANS -

It's 1.7% and is almost identical to the 12 (d) retirement. You should have received a packet explaining this stuff, age recruitments, early retirement, all that stuff. It's a little more than a little kicker added to your retirement.

Either way there are BPA's that hate their job almost as much as you do and say the same crap just in reverse.

You have been talking to BPA's on the Northern border? Cause most of the guys on the SW border work a lot of overtime.

Well you seem to absolutely hate your soon to be former job and think the BPA is the only one that does any thing, I guess you must be right. I'll quite now, go through the hiring process again, go through a military like academy and get yelled at like a kid, then go work in some of the most dangerous conditions in the US in an area that I don't want to live far away from my family. It's not all about the glamor, it's about having a good job with good pay in a good location.

Good luck with all that.

Dude! Who said in all my attempts to pass-on actual ground truth data, did I say I hated my Job?

I have never had a day at work that I regreted when it came to seizing my +6,500 lbs of Weed, +600 lbs Coke, +300 lbs Meth, 137 vehicles, 156 Arrests for Smuggling/Trafficking in Human and narcotics. That does not list the 2 people I have pulled out of a burning car in service in Macedonia and Kosovo, CPR to 2 people, saving my own Supervisors life when he was choking to death while on duty. Serving my Country has been a great experience...Something I have really liked doing...and I do not regret.

That does not mean that everything is rosey and perfect in federal service. Never assume that since you can earn a good wage, and no matter if it's my 1.0 TSP kick in, the upcoming 1.5 TSP Kick-in or whatever, that everything will work out and be perfect for a rosey retirement looking into the palms on a blue ocean... TSP maxed out deduction will help with that, with the new retirement, 20 years, TSP, OT under COPRA it can be great... I'm just wanting to point out that things can go south quick, Hence the Phrase:
                            "One Day, Cock of the walk, the very next, a feather duster"

There are obvious advantages of a CBPO position if you want a static position.
                            There are also advantages for advancement, enhanced retirement the BPO position. Everyone needs to make up there own mind... But no matter what, be happy in your work and for G-od's sake back each other up, no matter your uniform, we are all CBP after all. Without what we do every day, CBPO or BPA, the criminality would destroy our society...

Good luck with your time, I will be out before the new retirement kicks in and I hope everyone has a great time, a good experience in Service to our Great Country. It's not the money and it's not the Medals, it's the good times with other Officers that will make your day and your career.... Opinions vary but Thats mine...

Take care!

Rhino!
                            Last edited by RHINO6383; 05-09-2008, 08:52 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Members of congress also get this retirement, yea really they do and they have been getting it since 1984.
                              Just look here for the proof.
                              http://usgovinfo.about.com/gi/dynami...pm.gov/retire/

Members of Congress and Congressional Employees
                              Members of Congress receive an unreduced annuity at age 50 with 20 years of service, or at any age with 25 years of service. Congressional employees must meet the age and service requirements explained in the Basic Benefit Plan section.
                              If you are a Member of Congress or a Congressional employee, with at least 5 years of Congressional service, your annuity will be:
                              1.7% of high-3 average pay
                              times
                              years of Congressional service up to 20
                              plus
                              1.0% of high-3 average pay
                              times
                              any other service.
                              A Special Retirement Supplement is payable from the Minimum Retirement Age to age 62. If you have earnings from wages or self-employment that exceed the Social Security annual exempt amount, your supplement will be reduced or stopped.
                              Cost-of-Living-Adjustment’s (COLA’s) are payable to Congressional retirees before age 62 only if they retire for disability.
                              Members of Congress and Congressional employees contribute an additional .5% of pay to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).

Comment

• You will see a new announcement come out next week for Border Patrol Agents along the northern border. Basically you will be able to apply for a northern border sector and station and if selected you will then go to the Border Patrol Academy in Artesia, New Mexico. After successful completion you will be sent to a southern border sector and station for ojt. The plan is to have you back at your northern border sector/station in about 15 months. I also understand that for the period of time that you are at your southern border sector/station you will be on full per diem. (This sounds expensive to me but I’ve been told this by two different sources.) I do not know how many of these positions will be available but I understand the patrol is looking at 50 man stations along the northern border. My area has about 13 or less per station. You can debate CBPO/CBPBPA all day long but if you look at how things have changed since CBP was created the CBPBPA position has changed the least. Their 25% auo is pretty much a guarantee because their sups and managers are on it also and have been their entire career and do not want to change it. Sure copra is great if they let you work. On the northern border overtime is scarce for CBPO’s but my BP buddies bring in their 25% no matter what pay period after pay period. You can get the sure thing or hope you can survive on base pay or if you are real unlucky you could get to a port of entry where they are forcing you to work ot and you cap out at $35k a year even though you dont want to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5984 users online. 252 members and 5732 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X