300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    To me "its funny" how the only ones doing all the cheering over the new fitness standards is the present officers. Seems to me it's the new hires who have to do it all and you reap the benfits of enhanced retirement and gs-12's and whatever else you get grandfathered into. Im not gonna start a ****ing match about this as you may keep yourself in fine shape, as do i try to. But dont pick apart people's opinion on the standards when you know good and well you'll never have to live up to them.
    To me it's telling...pretty much as a whole the Officers and Agents with any experience are backing the idea, the only ones against it seem to be the 'new' hires and applicants. As far current Officers as living up to those current standards... the vast majority do. Heck, the vast majority exceed them. It a rather small population of CBPO's who would struggle to meet them, and most of those would be legacy hires in their 50's and 60's with 15-20-25 years of time on the job as II's, CI's and then CBPO's.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
      Ok, so I'm wrong. I have assumptions about the job that are incorrect. I can't say that I'm unhappy that my assumptions are incorrect - I wan't to be in Law enforcement, but I've become confused by the schizophrenic review that CBP gets on this board.

I will take my sidearm to the range twice every month and run at least 3 times a week for the job. I'm not suggesting that JFK is liek a police precinct for my own health
      Wrong is a strong word...I'd settle for only partially right.

There are 21,000+ CBPO's in 327 ports and hundreds of different crossings and facilities in the US and outside the US. While much of what you said might hold some truth in some ports and places, it's not going to hold up everywhere...or even in most places.

Comment

• New hires and applicants really need to look deep down inside and decide whether this is the right career for them if they feel they cannot pass the new fitness standards prior to getting the call. One must take into account that the wait in TSU will most likely now exceed 6-18 months - plenty of time to get in shape and pass the low standards. A bulk of the time at the academy will be focused on Immigration law. If a trainee seriously thinks the academy is there to get you in shape to pass the PFT right before graduation, they are in for a rude awakening. These new standards are set in place to ensure all trainees are, at minimum, healthy enough to pass. Remember, you're applying for a career in law enforcement. Do you really want to barely pass, expending all of your energy after hours on the track? Or pass with flying colors, allowing you to focus your energy on the academics? If you cannot run 1.5 miles in at least 15 minutes (that's a 10 minute mile, folks!), get off the computer and go run. And when you have passed that 15 minute mark, go run some more. The PT standards should be the least of your worries here. From what I have seen and heard, a lot of the job consists of report writing and being able to deal with the public (hence the Bachelor's degree and/or work experience). Maybe... sum of us need ta brush up on r writing skillz... sense a few on hear can bearly put together a compleet sentance!

Comment

• Please call CBP. I hate TSA so much.
          TO: 1/29/09
          Fitness: 4/1/09 passed
          Medical: 4/1/09 passed
          VBT: 3/20/09 eligible
          Drug Test: 4/1/09 passed
          Met with BI: 4/7/09
          Quals: GS-7
          BI: Done
          TSU: 7/2/09

Comment

• Originally posted by when View Post
            Physical fitness, superb command of the english language; grammar, spelling etc., problem solving skills, an excellent ability to work as an individual and within a team along with great interpersonal skills and deductive reasoning ability are all the trade marks of a good professional; not just LE careers. Therefore looking like Rambo and not possessing the other necessary attributes won't get you far either. We should all try to respectfully disagree without trying to act superior than.
            I think it is down right funny when someone is looking down on someone else for one set of attributes but they are lacking in other areas.

This forum is for encouragement and to impart knowledge. We all will go through the same process and should be aware of what exactly is required of this job by now. So no need to lecture anyone. For the love of all things right some people on the net should realy log off and take a vacation some time!

My apologies, I don’t recall ever claiming to be perfect. In fact, no one is perfect. I don’t think anyone is on here for an English tutoring session either. I've had my fair share of college. I’ve completed my Bachelors in Criminal Justice and pursuing a Masters in Public Administration. That doesn’t mean that I must type like a Nobel Peace Prize winner on an internet forum. I can submit a killer report upon request. Believe me; writing is not an issue of mine. Neither is being exposed to constructive opinions. It’s an Internet forum. I expect to receive replies and comments of individuals who choose to disagree with me. After all, they have a right. Just as I have a right to disagree as well. At the end of the day, the real adults will shake hands and take in the information at they desire to. Your right "This forum is for encouragement and to impart knowledge" If you ask me, encouragement and knowledge comes with 2 things the truth and opinions. The truth is what we all seek. However, to some the truth hurts just as well as it liberates. I’m not here to lecture anyone. The English language is ever changing, and evolving. The rules of grammar are subjective. Yes, I had typos on my comment. I didn’t know I needed to have it proofread before submitting to a forum. I can point a few errors on your post/reply myself. Nonetheless, that is not my way of approach. That would be the last thing I’d utilize to pass judgment on someone. As I said, no one is perfect.

Comment

• Nubian good for you and your achievements ** and I am not being facetious or sarcastic here*. Now for whatever reason you though this was a post directed at you is beyond me, it wasn't. It is simply annoying ever so often when these kind of "debates" flare up. This isn't the first and it won't be the last. I just think that everyone going through this process is subjected to the same information, tests etc. As adults we should all be accountable for our own actions. So whoever chooses to sit on their bum and not be prepared thats their choice/perogative and those who chose to take the intiative and be prepared physically as well as intellectually kudos to them also.

This back and forth is just annoying.
              And as you ponted out you had typos oh well what do I care. I have not nor will ever chastise anyone on the internet for whatever they maybe perceived as lacking. Someone's issues certainly don't affect me so I don't get vested.

I just think that some of us grown folks should develop a bit more tact. A few posts come off as "self righteous". We all won't see eye to eye. So we should share our knowledge and impart ideas without trying to "brow beat" the individual we are conversing with.

With that said, hope you all enjoy your debates and evening

Comment

• Can't we all just get along and be friends? lol
                TSU - 8/28/09
                TO - 3/2009
                On the job

Comment

• TSA (one of the worst decisions of my life)
                  Applied and all that junk in Boston July 2007
                  BI:fail
                  Appeal sent Sept. 2007
                  Passed
                  Applied to every major city in the US.
                  job offer in Seattle Feb. 2008
                  Moved to seattle (second worst decision) EOD june 2008
                  currently: hate my life

CBPO washington norther border
                  TEST March 20ish 2009
                  Results - 91 no vet two weeks place
                  TO two weeks later
                  Everything else: April 20ish 2009- August 2009
                  Met with BI August 20ish 2009
                  BI: Fail -October 7th
                  Appeal sent in October 13 2009
                  waiting

Comment

• Originally posted by Kav View Post
                    TSA (one of the worst decisions of my life)
                    Applied and all that junk in Boston July 2007
                    BI:fail
                    Appeal sent Sept. 2007
                    Passed
                    Applied to every major city in the US.
                    job offer in Seattle Feb. 2008
                    Moved to seattle (second worst decision) EOD june 2008
                    currently: hate my life

CBPO washington norther border
                    TEST March 20ish 2009
                    Results - 91 no vet two weeks place
                    TO two weeks later
                    Everything else: April 20ish 2009- August 2009
                    Met with BI August 20ish 2009
                    BI: Fail -October 7th
                    Appeal sent in October 13 2009
                    waiting

I dont mean to find your misfortune so funny,but this post made me chuckle. Why is TSA so reviled by its empoyees? It didnt appear to me that they were so unhappy * well atleast the ones I saw often on the job*. Is it the people who they have to deal with daily or is it management?

Comment

• Originally posted by when View Post
                      I dont mean to find your misfortune so funny,but this post made me chuckle. Why is TSA so reviled by its empoyees? It didnt appear to me that they were so unhappy * well atleast the ones I saw often on the job*. Is it the people who they have to deal with daily or is it management?
                      this might take me a while to write up. to be continued...

Comment

• I was offered a job by TSA. I ignored it because I had a feeling that if I took it my life would be over and I would miss out on Customs.

I don't regret the decision.
                        CBPO
                        GEO - NY/JFK
                        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                        PE Forms - Completed
                        Fitness - Completed
                        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                        Drug Screen - Completed
                        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                        TSU

EOD: ???
                        FLETC: ???

Comment

• ok, patiently waiting I think this is about to be good

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                            I was offered a job by TSA. I ignored it because I had a feeling that if I took it my life would be over and I would miss out on Customs.

I don't regret the decision.
                            I don't think it would have been that bad. JFK TSA does not seem as suicide inducing , plus I heard that you build seniority by a day or something like that when you go to CBP from TSA since you would already be working for DHS. I am not 100% sure.

Comment

• One facet of TSA that sucks are the passengers, of coarse. Everyone whines about having to take of their shoes, jacket, do I look like a terrorist, etc... But believe it or not, passengers aren't that bad. Many of the employees are much more unbearable than the passengers, and make the job harder than it has to be. I honestly think the TSA has lower hiring standards than many retail stores. Its amazing how many have some sort of mental disability. But, the main thing that sucks is how pointless it really is. You pat down 80 year old WW2 veterans like they are a terrorist threat, yet if you try to pat down someone of middle eastern decent you'll get in trouble. Taking away countless bottles of water and toiletries from families just trying to have a nice vacation or the elderly who don't know how to use a computer to find out the rules. And, might I add, the rules are ridiculous and made by people with little knowledge of the aviation sector. I could go on for a few pages but I'll just leave it at that for now.
                              TO: 1/29/09
                              Fitness: 4/1/09 passed
                              Medical: 4/1/09 passed
                              VBT: 3/20/09 eligible
                              Drug Test: 4/1/09 passed
                              Met with BI: 4/7/09
                              Quals: GS-7
                              BI: Done
                              TSU: 7/2/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Schem86 View Post
                                One facet of TSA that sucks are the passengers, of coarse. Everyone whines about having to take of their shoes, jacket, do I look like a terrorist, etc... But believe it or not, passengers aren't that bad. Many of the employees are much more unbearable than the passengers, and make the job harder than it has to be. I honestly think the TSA has lower hiring standards than many retail stores. Its amazing how many have some sort of mental disability. But, the main thing that sucks is how pointless it really is. You pat down 80 year old WW2 veterans like they are a terrorist threat, yet if you try to pat down someone of middle eastern decent you'll get in trouble. Taking away countless bottles of water and toiletries from families just trying to have a nice vacation or the elderly who don't know how to use a computer to find out the rules. And, might I add, the rules are ridiculous and made by people with little knowledge of the aviation sector. I could go on for a few pages but I'll just leave it at that for now.

I understand some passenger complain too much instead of going with the flow when people are just trying to do their job . When I travel I have the whole TSA thing down pat; belts, shoes, jacket off. Nothing in my pocket. Laptop out in a seperate container. no liquid over 3.4 ounces and all my liquids are in a clear ziploc bag to make it easier for me and the screeners. America is too worried about being politically correct instead of "making sense" with who is selected for secondary. In every job you will get the individuals who make you seriously wonder how the hell they got the job and make life and the job harder than it is. Plus you have to remember that alot of these people were hired during the inception of TSA and their standards were very lax then. They were more worried about quantity over quality.
                                I usually ignore these people. Do the job to the best of my ability and focus on what I will do when I leave work.

Every job has its ups and down. Hope you get out eventually.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4310 users online. 275 members and 4035 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X