300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
    I'm not interested in jumping on the bandwagon to beat up on TuffStuff. I think the other two are doing a professional job of it. All I want to add to this debate is, to think differently. We are debating this from our own perspectives, that of law abiding applicants or officers. We need to look at it from the Bad Guys' perspective. If you're a bad guy, you will hit wherever you think the weakest link is. I never want to be considered the weakest link. We may be in terrific shape, but unfortunately, the general consesus seems to be that many of the CBPO's in training at FLETC are a joke and they continue to be a joke once hired. That isn't a good reputation for an agency devoted to protecting borders to have. I am in full agreement with the side that wants career long PT standards instituted. We cannot set our standards based upon what the ordinary is. We need to train for worst case scenario. That way, you're as prepared as possible for what may come. Just my two pennies.
    Fair point
    CBPO
    GEO - NY/JFK
    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
    PE Forms - Completed
    Fitness - Completed
    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
    Drug Screen - Completed
    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
    TSU

EOD: ???
    FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
      "Clerks with guns" is what Airport CBP is, from what I've heard. There is nothing wrong with that and they are still law enforcement. Police officers are rarely in controlled environments, so they need to be harder individuals. The airport is literally like the precinct, 24/7. Do you need to go ballistic on someone who is a bit bonkers at the precinct or can you rest a bit easier knowing that there are layers upon layers of protection 360 degrees around you. We don't all need to be mini Rambo's when mom, dad and baby Kimmy are coming home from Hawaii and brought back a pineapple 90% of the time.

You deal with perps day in and day out, Airport CBPOs deal with businessmen and legit travelers. In the event that they meet a bad guy they have perma-backup and suffocate bad guys in red tape and bureaucracy. Nothing is more brutal and soul-crushing than bureaucracy.

Basic physical ability has quite a bit to do with not being overpowered, hence the word "overpowered", not "over-techniqued".

30 was a wild overstatement, but I'm pretty sure that you get the point.

I am not LE. I just read the forums day in and day out and do a bit of travelling. I have respect for CBPO's and want to become one. I currently sell insurance. I'm good at getting information out of people. I will become an insurance agent with a gun, badge and an appropriate level of tactical training. Makes sense to me.
      Ummm forget on the job for now.. you say "JUST" stamping.. etc etc.. ok what happens when you get that BIG drug dealer.. or you do get a hit on a terrorist... then one day your off duty... this person makes it into the country some how.. and remembers you.. now cause you sent him back to his county (maybe Iran or Syria) and they torture him.. you dont think he would not want to kill you.. ro something else?? so now you being CBP are not able to have a gun.. how tdo you protect yourself?? ..hmmm a insurance man.. and one that wants to be CBP.. questioning about the guns.. and all we do is stamp.. c'mon man.. maybe your getting into the wrong business.
      Test 10/07
      TSU 8/24/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Code Seven
        TuffStuffCBP & Barnaj:

Sign the petition to decrease physical fitness standards for law enforcement

It's funny how only applicants are arguing for decreased physical fitness standards. I guess you chose CBP because of the lax standards. Well, I'm sorry that your dreams were smashed by the memo on the new fitness standards.
        Dont include me in this jack. I went through the academy once and im in the military. I have no problem with it, in fact i embrace it. My point was that there's no reason to be arguing over it when its not enforced over an entire career.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbyrjax View Post
          *sigh* I have nothing to add to any of the conversations, but it's been almost 6 months and I still get a little disappointed EVERY day when I check my mail and see nothing from CBP. I've just about given up hope of ever receiving a TO.
          your only waiting a few months man.. hang in there..
          Test 10/07
          TSU 8/24/09

Comment

In that case, why not just drop the fitness standards altogether?

FYI: Some federal agencies do have required fitness tests (and medical evaluations) throughout one's career. For example, see the U.S. Marshals.
            Great argument, since anybody is talking about Marshal's. The fact is you are assuming what my opinion. I never once said a word about decreasing standards. I just said it's a dumb argument if its not enforced post academy. To me "its funny" how the only ones doing all the cheering over the new fitness standards is the present officers. Seems to me it's the new hires who have to do it all and you reap the benfits of enhanced retirement and gs-12's and whatever else you get grandfathered into. Im not gonna start a ****ing match about this as you may keep yourself in fine shape, as do i try to. But dont pick apart people's opinion on the standards when you know good and well you'll never have to live up to them.

Comment

That's a pretty bold and insightful statement coming from someone who's not in law enforcement. Good technology will never replace sound judgment, communication skills, physical fitness, and tactics. As for strength in numbers...yes, it's pretty obvious you do not work in law enforcement, Chairman Mao.
              Im not sure if you're deaf or cant read or just want to argue with someone. I never said a thing about dropping fitness standards! I just dont see the reason for people on either side of the fence to make comparisons between cbp, bpa, city police, etc. when you can become a lard a** the day you leave the academy if you're so inclined. And about the numbers game, i bet you handle all your felony stops without calling for back up units? Instead of trying to pretend you're robocop you should admit that you'd have no advantage without cooperation from other officers or all the LE devices at your disposal. Quit assuming your the only one in good shape, because i guess we'll never know being that you're hiding behind a computer screen like everyone else.

Comment

• On a different topic, can anyone log into CASS?
                TO: 4/09/09
                Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Numbers

Strength in numbers in California Police:

and again:

and again:

and again:

Just making a point. Look man, i respect all LE and the work they do. My family is all past or present detroit police, so i know a little something. I respect your opinions, just please dont translate my opinions into what you think they mean.
                  Stay safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khue View Post
                    On a different topic, can anyone log into CASS?
                    Not online, it keeps freezing up.

Comment

• Bring on the higher fitness requirements... I'll be ready.
                      CBPO - Buffalo-Niagara, NY
                      T.O. - Dec 2008
                      TSU - April 28, 2009

CBP Border Patrol Agent - Tucson, AZ Sector
                      Exam - Aug 2009 (NB)
                      Results - 88 - no Vet points

Switched to SB - 8/2010
                      TO - 8/2010

Austin Police Department
                      Applied - June 2010
                      Exam - Aug 2010
                      Physical - Aug 2010
                      Oral - Aug 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                        Not online, it keeps freezing up.
                        Good to know. I thought I was dropped or something. Man, just another Monday.
                        TO: 4/09/09
                        Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                        TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• barnaj 1,321 post and counting

Comment

If and when you get into law enforcement, you'll see what "strength in numbers" really means. It will depend on your department size, and in any case, a swarm of officers does not just rush a suspect. It's also hard for 25 officers to simultaneously go hands-on with one big, strong suspect on PCP. That's where individual fitness, tactics, and judgment comes in. You can't just give a police force "good technology" and "good numbers" and expect success to follow. You really should go on a few ridealongs. Don't forget that sometimes **** hits the fan before you can even call for backup. And that's when your poor, out-of-shape body is going to wish it spent more time in the gym. Have you not seen any videos of officers fighting for their life?

And you still have not answered my question. You just keep changing your argument. You now say that since fitness standards are not enforced through one's career, then why bother comparing the fitness standards across various agencies. Okay, let's not compare. Let's just raise the CBP standards without reference to other agencies. How about that? That's exactly what we were discussing. I only referenced the Marshals because you seem to think that no agency in the country has in-service standards.
                            Why cant you tell me when i said we should drop the fitness standards? Because i never said it. Just frustrating when out of shape slobs applaud fitness standards that they could not pass themselves. I mistakenly thought you were a cbp old timer, not a police sergeant. Either way, im trying to respect part of what you're saying but you dont have common sense. How many situps have you done while executing an arrest? I would think your argument would be an increase in arrest techniques and defensive tactics training as opposed to adding a pitiful 20 situps in a minute to an already simple fitness evaluation. Im trying to show you some respect, but you obviously just want to make childish remarks. Im over this thread.
                            Be safe.

Comment

It's funny how you seem to think there are always "strength in numbers." As I said before, sometimes **** hits the fan before you can even call for backup. Or, **** hits the fan before backup arrives. Sometimes "normal" or "calm" situations turn ugly faster then you can scratch your pimple-pocked forehead. That's why officers get hurt and killed. Have you not heard of an officer fighting for his or her life? You are truly blind to the reality of law enforcement.
                              I absolutely agree and understand that. As always you are pretending to know what everybody thinks. But it becomes technique and proper use of the "tools of the trade", not how many pushups one can do. Nice pimple reference by the way, another mature remark from the law enforcement pro. Youre as closed minded as you are big mouthed. You probably have a crew cut and wear mirrored sunglasses while patrolling the suburbs.

Comment

• Barnaj & Code Seven when they finally make it to FLETC

2,922 post between the two

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3684 users online. 251 members and 3433 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X