CBP officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Applicants...especially newer applicants...

Below is a letter sent out recently by Border Patrol to their applicants:

October 16, 2009

Dear Applicant:

The purpose of this email is to inform you of changes related to the Border Patrol Agent position for which you have received a conditional offer of employment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You have already successfully completed the pre-employment requirements and are waiting to be contacted with a firm offer of location, reporting date and assignment to a Border Patrol Academy class.

During your training at the BP Academy, you will be expected to fully participate in a number of vigorous training activities. These activities will include: Arrest Techniques training, Defensive Tactics training, Collapsible Straight Baton training and daily physical conditioning. Physical conditioning is very intense, and includes Muscular Endurance Training, Mobility Training, Strength Training and runs of varying speeds and distances. These physical training activities will be conducted both indoors, in state of the art athletic facilities, and outdoors on fields, tracks and roadways. Often times, the training is conducted under hot and humid conditions.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties, a second fitness test (PFT2) has been developed. You may be scheduled to take the PFT2 approximately 30 days prior to your entrance on duty. The PFT2 will take place at the Headquarters office of the Border Patrol Sector located closest to your current mailing address. You will be responsible for getting yourself to and from the PFT2. Any expenses incurred in doing that will be your responsibility.

The fitness test will consist of:

(1) 220 yard run - must be completed in 46 seconds or less
    (2) Sit-ups – 25 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
    (3) Push ups – 20 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
    (4) 1.5 mile run - must be completed in 15 minutes or less

If you do not successfully pass the PFT2, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process.

We urge you to take advantage of the time you have while waiting to be contacted to ensure that you get in shape and stay in shape - regardless of your current level of conditioning - so that you will be adequately prepared for the rigorous fitness program at the Academy.

You will be receiving more information on the PFT2 as it becomes available.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection.

Sincerely,

Gwen Wild
    Branch Chief, Pre-employment Clearance Services

This is just my opinion, but there's probably the same or a similar type letter in the works for OFO. You might want to heed it's advice and start to prepare yourself to pass those standards today, just in case this is dropped on you...4, 6 or 12 months from now.
    Are you sure? BPA is a much more physically demanding job than CBPO. That letter sounded alot like the fitness letter than CBPO's get. Maybe as our fitness requirements have gone up, so have theirs. My old letter said something along the lines of "before I enter on duty I will have to be scheduled for a PT test". I doubt that they will ask us to do this In addition to the new fitness requirements so soon after changing them on us.
    CBPO
    GEO - NY/JFK
    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
    PE Forms - Completed
    Fitness - Completed
    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
    Drug Screen - Completed
    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
    TSU

EOD: ???
    FLETC: ???

Comment

• Hello everyone and happy Sunday. I was wondering one thing, and after searching through this forum, I could not find an answer. I was wondering out of all applicants, how many make it to TSU.

Comment

October 16, 2009

Dear Applicant:

The purpose of this email is to inform you of changes related to the Border Patrol Agent position for which you have received a conditional offer of employment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You have already successfully completed the pre-employment requirements and are waiting to be contacted with a firm offer of location, reporting date and assignment to a Border Patrol Academy class.

During your training at the BP Academy, you will be expected to fully participate in a number of vigorous training activities. These activities will include: Arrest Techniques training, Defensive Tactics training, Collapsible Straight Baton training and daily physical conditioning. Physical conditioning is very intense, and includes Muscular Endurance Training, Mobility Training, Strength Training and runs of varying speeds and distances. These physical training activities will be conducted both indoors, in state of the art athletic facilities, and outdoors on fields, tracks and roadways. Often times, the training is conducted under hot and humid conditions.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties, a second fitness test (PFT2) has been developed. You may be scheduled to take the PFT2 approximately 30 days prior to your entrance on duty. The PFT2 will take place at the Headquarters office of the Border Patrol Sector located closest to your current mailing address. You will be responsible for getting yourself to and from the PFT2. Any expenses incurred in doing that will be your responsibility.

If you do not successfully pass the PFT2, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process.

We urge you to take advantage of the time you have while waiting to be contacted to ensure that you get in shape and stay in shape - regardless of your current level of conditioning - so that you will be adequately prepared for the rigorous fitness program at the Academy.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection.

Sincerely,

Gwen Wild

This is just my opinion, but there's probably the same or a similar type letter in the works for OFO. You might want to heed it's advice and start to prepare yourself to pass those standards today, just in case this is dropped on you...4, 6 or 12 months from now.
        Awesome! I hope they implement this for OFO personal as well! Belive me after being at FLETC this past summer, It was embarrasing being associated with some of the new Trainees there!!!

Comment

• ^^yea and then everyone looks down on us... in my opinion looking at some of the slobs down there it made us second to last only to BOP... but it doesnt really bother me cause im in better shape than 90% of the other agencies down there... people i work with too are in tip top shape

Comment

• *sigh* I have nothing to add to any of the conversations, but it's been almost 6 months and I still get a little disappointed EVERY day when I check my mail and see nothing from CBP. I've just about given up hope of ever receiving a TO.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
              How about buying a 2-3 bedroom home that needs a little cosmetic work now, then when you get married start looking for the 5 bedroom house. You can either sell your first house or rent it out. If the market goes back up in the mean time you can make a decent profit on your first house and have a good down payment for your second. I accidentally did this exact thing two times. I got very good deals on the houses when I bought them (they were all we could afford), then I sold it at a fair price and walked away with a good amount of money in my pocket for the next house.

This strategy has a couple advantages. First you don't have the carrying cost of a huge house that you only need a few rooms out of. You can invest the money you are saving from those carrying costs to apply to the next house, in addition to any profits you reap. Second, if you buy a smaller house then you and your new spouse can find a house that suits both your tastes. Or conversely (don't know how feasible this is where you are) you could buy a chunk of land and pay it off, then when you get married you and your spouse can pick out a floor plan and have the house built to your specifications. Since all you are paying for is the house, you would be able to afford upgrades that you normally couldn't afford.

You also have the benefit that when you are starting CBP you don't really make all that much, when compared to three or four years down the road. A mortgage payment you wouldn't even qualify for now, even for a new home buyer, would easily be paid as a 12. Once you get hired you are looking at 30-40k in pay raises in the first four years. Just some things to think about.
              thanks for the advice. i'll take that into consideration. i currently have a 3 bedroom 3 bath condo. so i have a lot of things to figure out. i'm looking forward to my gs-9 in march.. should help out a little.

Comment

October 16, 2009

Dear Applicant:

Sincerely,

Gwen Wild

I wonder how much each test cost. They have already tested me twice, been in TSU 7 months. What a waste.
                If they are so concerned with the shape people are in why don't put in effect a physical standard for CBPO's after FLETC like other Law enforcement agencies? When I went to the port for my VBT a year ago there were some very over weight and out of shape CBPO's. It seems like many of the out of shape problems may start after FLETC.
                Last edited by UofU76; 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbyrjax View Post
                  *sigh* I have nothing to add to any of the conversations, but it's been almost 6 months and I still get a little disappointed EVERY day when I check my mail and see nothing from CBP. I've just about given up hope of ever receiving a TO.
                  sorry dude, but it does not look good. I know a few people who tested 8 months ago and still have not received a TO. Everything is so backed up, don't wait around for this job. If you do get a T.O. you still have all the other stuff to pass. From the time I got my T.O. to the time I cleared my BI was over a year. I have been in TSU 7 months. I got my TO about 20 months ago. Many people have been waiting longer.
                  Last edited by UofU76; 10-18-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                    Are you sure? BPA is a much more physically demanding job than CBPO. That letter sounded alot like the fitness letter than CBPO's get. Maybe as our fitness requirements have gone up, so have theirs. My old letter said something along the lines of "before I enter on duty I will have to be scheduled for a PT test". I doubt that they will ask us to do this In addition to the new fitness requirements so soon after changing them on us.
                    I'd listen to Merlin. OFO is trying to toughen upl Things are changing everyday with this agency. CBP has taken on a broad protective mission . You're starting to see CBP at more high profile events providing protection and intel support. Even our SRT is going to BP standards. So don't be surprised if you see OFO Standards starting to mirror our brother in green. It won't happen overnight, but as Snoop said, change gonna come nephew, change gonna come.
                    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• 221 days in TSU...for all of you that just started this process...is just a waiting game...hurry up and get everything ready so you can wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                        i don't have a family yet, but the reason i would want to buy a 5 bedroom is because once i buy a house, i want it to be my first and last. i'll want to be prepared for my future family. houses in san diego are very expensive and i only get one chance at a first time home buyer loan. even with the money that we make at cbp, it would take years to save up 20% down payment on a house that costs 500-600k, not to mention if i wait a few years and the economy goes back up the houses will be back up in the 800k-1mil range. sorry if i sound spoiled to those of you who would settle for 2 and 3 bedroom houses.
                        You don't sound spoiled...it's just a different way of life I guess. I grew up always sharing bedrooms. Never ever had my own. We plan on this being our first and last also (maybe a cottage in northern michigan to accompany later)...no matter how many kids. I hope it works out for ya....and please....keep those ridiculous high numbers out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                          i don't have a family yet, but the reason i would want to buy a 5 bedroom is because once i buy a house, i want it to be my first and last. i'll want to be prepared for my future family. houses in san diego are very expensive and i only get one chance at a first time home buyer loan. even with the money that we make at cbp, it would take years to save up 20% down payment on a house that costs 500-600k, not to mention if i wait a few years and the economy goes back up the houses will be back up in the 800k-1mil range. sorry if i sound spoiled to those of you who would settle for 2 and 3 bedroom houses.
                          I might not be a doctor, but..... this was my specialty in my previous job. You should check on that first time home buyer loan because it usually caps off at a certain number for max loan amount. In LA your loan cannot exceed 220,000. And they mainly want you going FHA now which is another loan amount cap. I know the market is higher in CA but buying a 500,000 house I would guess would exceed even CA limits. You will get a tax credit if your combined income (if you are married) does not exceed 120,000 a year which you prob dont. But then you will have the problem of your DTI (debt to income ratio). If your income isnt high, you wont get approved because of this. They count your car, student loans, credit cards, etc. Anything that falls under a monthly payment that is on your credit report. KC12 gave you some excellent advice. Everyone goes in thinking they are moving only one time but reality is that people on average move every 5 to 10 years. That is studied statistics for the US. You should get a good deal on a starter home, take advantage of the first time home buyer incentives that are out there for the lower priced homes, pay that down while you're not making much and build equity in it. When the economy comes back up, yes you will have to pay more for that next home, but you will also get way more for the home you are selling. Thats an investment that will pay off instead of you strapping down with a huge house note now. And again, I would check to see the loan caps for the first time home buyer programs because Im almost certain CA will not allow you to purchase a home for that price. Those incentives are for low purchase price and low income. In LA the income cap is 84,000 for those programs also. You wont be able to purchase a home for 500,000 with your income anyway because of your DTI. Not to mention you will prob have to put 20% down because its getting really hard to find PMI (private mortgage ins) for that price range. Besides, any loan over 417,000 is considered jumbo loan and most banks are hesitant to do jumbos right now and if you can find one, the rates are going to be very high. I hope this helps, i know its not what you want to here but I dealt with a lot of this at my job. Call a local lender or bank and get some info from them. they wont mind doing the work if they want your business. Just do me a favor... dont use Countrywide, they suck!!!! (I think they were recently bought out but Im sure its still all the same)

Comment

• Thanks Merlin for the advice. Even if we dont get the email, it doesnt hurt to be prepared just in case.
                            My workouts are on hold at the moment because I think drcapp put a voodoo curse on me. IM SICK AGAIN!!! Well hopefully im getting it all out before FLETC!!

And before anyone comments, yes im taking my vitamins, extra vitamin c, cold ease, advil, nyquil, glucosomine, etc..etc..
                            Last edited by cajunchik; 10-18-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                              I'd listen to Merlin. OFO is trying to toughen upl Things are changing everyday with this agency. CBP has taken on a broad protective mission . You're starting to see CBP at more high profile events providing protection and intel support. Even our SRT is going to BP standards. So don't be surprised if you see OFO Standards starting to mirror our brother in green. It won't happen overnight, but as Snoop said, change gonna come nephew, change gonna come.
                              If anyone was in need of a real-life definition of "Mission Creep", just look at the DHS hydra. Let's ask ourselves if it is really necessary to have 30 different agencies doing the exact same thing. Remember when U.S. Customs was U.S. Customs?

Sure, integrate the higher ups, but specialization is the hallmark of human progress to date.
                              CBPO
                              GEO - NY/JFK
                              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                              PE Forms - Completed
                              Fitness - Completed
                              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                              Drug Screen - Completed
                              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                              TSU

EOD: ???
                              FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
                                I might not be a doctor, but..... this was my specialty in my previous job. You should check on that first time home buyer loan because it usually caps off at a certain number for max loan amount. In LA your loan cannot exceed 220,000. And they mainly want you going FHA now which is another loan amount cap. I know the market is higher in CA but buying a 500,000 house I would guess would exceed even CA limits. You will get a tax credit if your combined income (if you are married) does not exceed 120,000 a year which you prob dont. But then you will have the problem of your DTI (debt to income ratio). If your income isnt high, you wont get approved because of this. They count your car, student loans, credit cards, etc. Anything that falls under a monthly payment that is on your credit report. KC12 gave you some excellent advice. Everyone goes in thinking they are moving only one time but reality is that people on average move every 5 to 10 years. That is studied statistics for the US. You should get a good deal on a starter home, take advantage of the first time home buyer incentives that are out there for the lower priced homes, pay that down while you're not making much and build equity in it. When the economy comes back up, yes you will have to pay more for that next home, but you will also get way more for the home you are selling. Thats an investment that will pay off instead of you strapping down with a huge house note now. And again, I would check to see the loan caps for the first time home buyer programs because Im almost certain CA will not allow you to purchase a home for that price. Those incentives are for low purchase price and low income. In LA the income cap is 84,000 for those programs also. You wont be able to purchase a home for 500,000 with your income anyway because of your DTI. Not to mention you will prob have to put 20% down because its getting really hard to find PMI (private mortgage ins) for that price range. Besides, any loan over 417,000 is considered jumbo loan and most banks are hesitant to do jumbos right now and if you can find one, the rates are going to be very high. I hope this helps, i know its not what you want to here but I dealt with a lot of this at my job. Call a local lender or bank and get some info from them. they wont mind doing the work if they want your business. Just do me a favor... dont use Countrywide, they suck!!!! (I think they were recently bought out but Im sure its still all the same)
                                sounds good. thanks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4092 users online. 126 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X