Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Code Seven

    Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed for you. Here you are, a self-proclaimed "nerdy guy" who gets all his information from TV shows and Wikipedia, and who is applying for a law enforcement position while at the same time opposing higher physical fitness standards (and yet your name is "TuffStuffCBP"). It does, in fact, sound like you want to be "a clerk with a gun." If you want to do that, stay in your insurance job and apply for a CCW permit. On the other hand, if you want to join the law enforcement community, then you better shape up.
    Ok, I'll bite. I'm 5'11, 155lbs can do 45 straight pushups, 30 situps, 15 chin-ups, 10 pull-ups and I run 2 miles followed by a 2 mile walk 4 days a week with a 5 mile walk on sundays. I'm pretty sure I'm ready for Fletc, but I could be wrong. Having an opinion turns me into an Ad Hominem target, I get it.

    I've spent so much time on these forums that I'm getting ready for the position expecting a bit more than a clerk with a gun job. I applied to ICE and Secret Service years ago and never heard back, I've jsut applied to the Secret Service again, so I'm open to it if the job is more intense than I am expecting

    Thanks for the kind words.
    Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-19-2009, 09:53 AM.
    CBPO
    GEO - NY/JFK
    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

    TO - 01/09
    PE Forms - Completed
    Fitness - Completed
    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
    Drug Screen - Completed
    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
    TSU


    EOD: ???
    FLETC: ???

    Comment


    • Personally I think BP has it right. Why not test people for the run etc BEFORE training instead of wasting money training someone who won't pass the physical standards at FLETC.
      I am currently doing the beachbody program "INSANITY". I am hoping this is going to bring me to the level I need to be at at FLETC. Already halfway through and my fitness level has increased dramatically. I admit I am still struggling with "man" push ups but will not quit trying.

      Anyone who is a big fitness buff know what is the best way to get stronger in push ups. Would it be to do the best I can in real "man" push ups or do more on my knees to strengthen those muscles?
      CBPO
      Test: July 2008
      TO: 12/26/08
      VBT 1/21/09-passed
      Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
      Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
      Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
      BI - Cleared
      TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
      BI2 - cleared 8/11

      ICE Special Agent
      Test 7/22/09 passed

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
        Personally I think BP has it right. Why not test people for the run etc BEFORE training instead of wasting money training someone who won't pass the physical standards at FLETC.
        I am currently doing the beachbody program "INSANITY". I am hoping this is going to bring me to the level I need to be at at FLETC. Already halfway through and my fitness level has increased dramatically. I admit I am still struggling with "man" push ups but will not quit trying.

        Anyone who is a big fitness buff know what is the best way to get stronger in push ups. Would it be to do the best I can in real "man" push ups or do more on my knees to strengthen those muscles?
        I agree that you should have to pass the PT test prior to going to the acdemy, to weed people out and save money. As far as pushup improvement, losing weight is key do to the fact that the less you weigh the easier they'll be. Also work on your triceps and shoulder muscles as well because they intregal in performing more pushups. Just search those terms online and you'll find a ton of exercises that you can do in your own basement.
        Good Luck!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
          Personally I think BP has it right. Why not test people for the run etc BEFORE training instead of wasting money training someone who won't pass the physical standards at FLETC.
          I am currently doing the beachbody program "INSANITY". I am hoping this is going to bring me to the level I need to be at at FLETC. Already halfway through and my fitness level has increased dramatically. I admit I am still struggling with "man" push ups but will not quit trying.
          I see the point of that, but it is probably redundant to have the new physical AND a pre-qualifier for FLETC. I just doubt that they would dop this when the new physical standards just came into effect this october. 5% fail rate as it is now would probably go up to 8% or so meaning lower drop-out rate in FLETC and effective expensing.

          This would drastically change the hiring pool. Even incurable fatties can run1.5 in under 15 after 4 months of training. People going into Customs would be totally different. Then we would just have to find a professional use for all of that prowess.
          CBPO
          GEO - NY/JFK
          TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

          TO - 01/09
          PE Forms - Completed
          Fitness - Completed
          VBT - 03/09 - Completed
          Drug Screen - Completed
          Qual - 05/09 - Completed
          B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
          Medical - 05/09 - Completed
          TSU


          EOD: ???
          FLETC: ???

          Comment


          • I feel like Im reading a thread in a bodybuilding forum!! O--O
            I bench press 450lbs and Squat 430lbs. 6% body fat

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
              Anyone who is a big fitness buff know what is the best way to get stronger in push ups. Would it be to do the best I can in real "man" push ups or do more on my knees to strengthen those muscles?
              Failure is your friend. One method that works surprisingly well is to watch TV. During the commercials do 5, 10, 15, 20 whatever just short of failure. You don't want to go to failure until your last set. Have a goal in mind. Since your not stating from scratch you have a general idea on what you can do. If you can do less than 20 only go up 2 or 3 push ups each week until you hit 20, then go up by 5 per session each week. So it would look like this: Week 1 you can do 5 push ups. Each time you go down do your five. Week 2 each time you go down your goal is 7 or 8. Continue adding until you hit 20. Once you hit 20 each week you push the floor you add 5 to your goal. So say week 5 you do 20 week 6 your goal is 25. If you must take an easy week take and easy week. It is better to slack a week than to push yourself and get injured. If you find hitting your goal is easy one week slow down. On your last set hold at the bottom for a second or two.

              When I work on push ups in that manner I also throw in an abs workout. So I'll do push ups, then roll over and do either crunches or some version of leglifts. I did this three times per week and in no time my push ups went to 50 easy push ups and well over 100 sit-ups. You can even do the ladies push ups after your final set to get a little more burn. Just remember this is training so keep your form perfect, and don't injure yourself. When you are testing you can take the little shortcuts.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

              For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

              Comment


              • Is it a safe assumption that the new PT requirements in place for BP can be implemented due to the fact that you either apply for the NB or SB (with geographical preference taken into consideration) so your EOD date is more predictable? With this higher predictability, TSU can schedule your PT 30 days in advance since they just pick applicants from either the NB or SB list. Conversely, for CBP, there are hundreds upon hundreds of POEs, which would make it more difficult for MHC to guesstimate who and where should schedule a PT date 30 days in advance.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Akito View Post
                  I feel like Im reading a thread in a bodybuilding forum!! O--O
                  I bench press 450lbs and Squat 430lbs. 6% body fat
                  If we are lucky, that's what CBP will turn into, when we're not out fighting crime at night in Afghanistan.
                  CBPO
                  GEO - NY/JFK
                  TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

                  TO - 01/09
                  PE Forms - Completed
                  Fitness - Completed
                  VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                  Drug Screen - Completed
                  Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                  B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                  Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                  TSU


                  EOD: ???
                  FLETC: ???

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                    Failure is your friend. One method that works surprisingly well is to watch TV. During the commercials do 5, 10, 15, 20 whatever just short of failure. You don't want to go to failure until your last set. Have a goal in mind. Since your not stating from scratch you have a general idea on what you can do. If you can do less than 20 only go up 2 or 3 push ups each week until you hit 20, then go up by 5 per session each week. So it would look like this: Week 1 you can do 5 push ups. Each time you go down do your five. Week 2 each time you go down your goal is 7 or 8. Continue adding until you hit 20. Once you hit 20 each week you push the floor you add 5 to your goal. So say week 5 you do 20 week 6 your goal is 25. If you must take an easy week take and easy week. It is better to slack a week than to push yourself and get injured. If you find hitting your goal is easy one week slow down. On your last set hold at the bottom for a second or two.

                    When I work on push ups in that manner I also throw in an abs workout. So I'll do push ups, then roll over and do either crunches or some version of leglifts. I did this three times per week and in no time my push ups went to 50 easy push ups and well over 100 sit-ups. You can even do the ladies push ups after your final set to get a little more burn. Just remember this is training so keep your form perfect, and don't injure yourself. When you are testing you can take the little shortcuts.
                    www.hundredpushups.com may be a good place to start. It's a six week program, starting from scratch, with the final goal of doing 100 pushups. I've been going at it for about a week and it has raised my max from 40 to 50.

                    Comment


                    • E. Texas????

                      A couple of pages back someone mentioned that calls were going to be made for the "Texas" geographic preference.

                      From the sheer joy and excitement of this news I decided to investigate.

                      But to my dismay, TSU said that there are no vacancies for "East Texas" at this time.

                      -----> Back to reality.
                      CBPO:
                      EXAM: 8/08
                      NOR: 9/9/08 - 98
                      T.O.: 2/2/09
                      GEO - E. TX
                      Forms - 2/6/09
                      Quals - 4/13/09
                      Med - 2/27/09 Clr 4/10/09
                      VBT - 3/10/09 Clr 4/6/09
                      UDS - 6/24/09
                      BI - Met w. B.I. 4/12/09 clr 7/2/09
                      Fitness - 3/9/09
                      TSU - 7/2/09
                      ___________________

                      Law Enforcement Specialist (ICE)
                      GEO: VT
                      NOR: 99 (GS-11)
                      T.O.: 10/28/09
                      B.I.: clr 3/12/10
                      E.O.D.: 4/11/2010!!!

                      Comment


                      • Can someone please pm me the number for mhc? Not the hotline, I need an actual person!
                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                          www.hundredpushups.com may be a good place to start. It's a six week program, starting from scratch, with the final goal of doing 100 pushups. I've been going at it for about a week and it has raised my max from 40 to 50.
                          I have that app on my iphone and just suggested it to shortybop. If you have an iphone, its def worth getting. They also have an app called 200 situps thats good too.

                          Comment


                          • I'm not interested in jumping on the bandwagon to beat up on TuffStuff. I think the other two are doing a professional job of it. All I want to add to this debate is, to think differently. We are debating this from our own perspectives, that of law abiding applicants or officers. We need to look at it from the Bad Guys' perspective. If you're a bad guy, you will hit wherever you think the weakest link is. I never want to be considered the weakest link. We may be in terrific shape, but unfortunately, the general consesus seems to be that many of the CBPO's in training at FLETC are a joke and they continue to be a joke once hired. That isn't a good reputation for an agency devoted to protecting borders to have. I am in full agreement with the side that wants career long PT standards instituted. We cannot set our standards based upon what the ordinary is. We need to train for worst case scenario. That way, you're as prepared as possible for what may come. Just my two pennies.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                              "Clerks with guns" is what Airport CBP is, from what I've heard. There is nothing wrong with that and they are still law enforcement. Police officers are rarely in controlled environments, so they need to be harder individuals. The airport is literally like the precinct, 24/7. Do you need to go ballistic on someone who is a bit bonkers at the precinct or can you rest a bit easier knowing that there are layers upon layers of protection 360 degrees around you. We don't all need to be mini Rambo's when mom, dad and baby Kimmy are coming home from Hawaii and brought back a pineapple 90% of the time.

                              You deal with perps day in and day out, Airport CBPOs deal with businessmen and legit travelers. In the event that they meet a bad guy they have perma-backup and suffocate bad guys in red tape and bureaucracy. Nothing is more brutal and soul-crushing than bureaucracy.

                              Basic physical ability has quite a bit to do with not being overpowered, hence the word "overpowered", not "over-techniqued".

                              30 was a wild overstatement, but I'm pretty sure that you get the point.

                              I am not LE. I just read the forums day in and day out and do a bit of travelling. I have respect for CBPO's and want to become one. I currently sell insurance. I'm good at getting information out of people. I will become an insurance agent with a gun, badge and an appropriate level of tactical training. Makes sense to me.

                              This "clerk with a gun" airport inspector had his arm broken in a foot pursuit in the middle of Philadelphia early in my career. Quite frankly your attiude offends me. I have a secert for you bad guys do get on airplanes. You will find that all airports are not created equal and a lot of airport officers do not spend all thier time in the airport.

                              FB

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
                                I'm not interested in jumping on the bandwagon to beat up on TuffStuff. I think the other two are doing a professional job of it. All I want to add to this debate is, to think differently. We are debating this from our own perspectives, that of law abiding applicants or officers. We need to look at it from the Bad Guys' perspective. If you're a bad guy, you will hit wherever you think the weakest link is. I never want to be considered the weakest link. We may be in terrific shape, but unfortunately, the general consesus seems to be that many of the CBPO's in training at FLETC are a joke and they continue to be a joke once hired. That isn't a good reputation for an agency devoted to protecting borders to have. I am in full agreement with the side that wants career long PT standards instituted. We cannot set our standards based upon what the ordinary is. We need to train for worst case scenario. That way, you're as prepared as possible for what may come. Just my two pennies.
                                I dont like threads like this one. Turn on the show COPS or whatever and there are plenty of Tubs on there to. Same goes for military bases, and so on. Very few agencies actually have a fitness test, yearly or otherwise after the academy. Most have a once a year test if anything and as was stated before, a slob can often make the run but that doesn't mean they look good in uniform. The key to LE is that there is good technology and strength in numbers. Whoever is arguing about fitness standards and the like, would probably be the first one running to the union if they lost their job for getting a little long in the waistband.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 3450 users online. 234 members and 3216 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X