Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
    Hey now, no need for name calling!

Wouldn't you be upset if they sent you home cause you got the flu and had to start over again? That would stink!!
    I wouldn't want to be sent home either. There are a lot of people there sharing workout rooms, lockers, locker rooms, computers, desks, etc. If one person gets sick it isn't long before whatever bug is there goes through the entire complex. Add to that, there are always new classes coming in so there are always new people to infect, so the sickness never really goes away. I would suggest investing in hand sanitizer and Kleenex when you go. You'll need it. Forget the advice of the HHS secretary, or was she the director of the CDC, about sneezing or coughing in your elbow. Someone will grab you there or you'll inevitably touch the area you just infected and pass it to other people. Cough or sneeze in a Kleenex and wash your hands often. If you must cough or sneeze in your hand use the hand sanitizer and clean both yourself and the bottle, until you have a chance to actually wash your hands.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Will someone please advise me on how to stop people from asking me about this job? I am becoming a recluse because of it. I dread conversations and won't answer my phone as quickly, I am sick of people enquiring! Even my nosey ***** neighbor sees it fit to shout at me on the sidewalk from his balcony to ask "whats going on with the Customs thing?". I told him I have changed my mind just to make him shut up and go away.
      And now I am getting the "serious side eye" from people who find it odd that I am waiting for a training date for such a long time. This lady even asked if I would start training by next year!

I am in a funk. It isn't helping that I was coming through the border yesterday and saw these new CBPO shadowing the CBPO who was processing my lane. They must have been wondering why I had such a sad look when I handed over my passport. UUUGGGHHHH

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
        Are you just referring to the well known areas or do I still have a 1 in a million chance to get called soon? My GEO isnt very popular according this forum with the TSU list but ( and I know I'm going to get blasted for this) everytime I call they say my file is getting "fast tracked". I'M JUST REPEATING WHAT THEY ARE TELLING ME FELLA'S!!! And no comment from the peanut gallery on this one, let a girl have some dreams!!! If my little GEO is in need and doesnt have a bunch in line, wouldnt that mean I will be eating a bunch of meatloaf soon?? My GEO has a huge seaport. We are at the base of the MS river. Give me just a little hope!!
        The positions will be on the Southern Border for the most part, and folks thinking about leaving will probably stay on with the new pay rate. The guys I know in N.O. are only 1/2 way point and will probably stay longer. I hate to bring bad news but....The pay raise will be paid for some how, and unfortunatly it will probably be by not replacing officers in areas not getting headlines, eg anywhere not on the southwest border.

But anything can happen, I never thought this would be a LEO covered GS12 position.....Who knew?
        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• So I heard a pot shot was taken at an officer on the southern border... skipped the ground and made an entry wound in the officer's leg... no one knew what happened other than an officer started stumbling around cussing about what the hell happened to his leg.

Any word from anyone along the southern border think around El Paso on this incident?

Also, have a friend in Denver Colorado area interested in completing an app for the int'l airport - cargo / shipping facilities there... Anyone know if apps are being accepted at this time? I had the search agent on usa jobs e-mail the recruitment back a few years ago... I did a brief search for jobs for him under CBP in USA Jobs though only staff assistants -etc...
          Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sytes View Post
            So I heard a pot shot was taken at an officer on the southern border... skipped the ground and made an entry wound in the officer's leg... no one knew what happened other than an officer started stumbling around cussing about what the hell happened to his leg.

Any word from anyone along the southern border think around El Paso on this incident?

Also, have a friend in Denver Colorado area interested in completing an app for the int'l airport - cargo / shipping facilities there... Anyone know if apps are being accepted at this time? I had the search agent on usa jobs e-mail the recruitment back a few years ago... I did a brief search for jobs for him under CBP in USA Jobs though only staff assistants -etc...
            CBP does not have an announcement for new CBPOs at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by when View Post
              Will someone please advise me on how to stop people from asking me about this job? I am becoming a recluse because of it. I dread conversations and won't answer my phone as quickly, I am sick of people enquiring! Even my nosey ***** neighbor sees it fit to shout at me on the sidewalk from his balcony to ask "whats going on with the Customs thing?". I told him I have changed my mind just to make him shut up and go away.
              And now I am getting the "serious side eye" from people who find it odd that I am waiting for a training date for such a long time. This lady even asked if I would start training by next year!

I am in a funk. It isn't helping that I was coming through the border yesterday and saw these new CBPO shadowing the CBPO who was processing my lane. They must have been wondering why I had such a sad look when I handed over my passport. UUUGGGHHHH
              Its a big bummer for you, I understand. NYCmike must have gotten the last call for JFK RIGHT before you went into TSU. Its a pretty major bummer for me as well, because I am 2 months later than you are. You are probably the next guy to get hired following the loss of an officer. Isn't it funny how everybody treated this job like a given in march? Just goes to show you that there are no guarantees in life.
              Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-18-2009, 01:05 AM.
              CBPO
              GEO - NY/JFK
              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
              PE Forms - Completed
              Fitness - Completed
              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
              Drug Screen - Completed
              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
              TSU

EOD: ???
              FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by when View Post
                Will someone please advise me on how to stop people from asking me about this job?
                Sorry cant help you but if it makes you feel better, I just came home from a family party and I know the exact feeling. Should have never told them that October will be my month-LOL
                You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
                  Sorry cant help you but if it makes you feel better, I just came home from a family party and I know the exact feeling. Should have never told them that October will be my month-LOL
                  I know I haven't been in the process as long as most of you guys but the easiest response that I found works for me when people ask when I'm leaving. I just say, " it could be a week from now or it could be a year from now, who knows, it's the government!!" most people understand me when I throw in the gov part.

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
                    My target was knowledge of some sort by Thanksgiving. That is looking bleak at the moment.
                    CBPO
                    GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                    PE Forms - Completed
                    Fitness - Completed
                    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                    Drug Screen - Completed
                    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                    TSU

Comment

• It was 100 degrees outside 2 days ago now its 50 degrees. The weather here is crazy. No seasons at all. I remember a few years back it snowed christmas day and then new years day, we were wearing shorts!!

BTW....GO SAINTS!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beecy View Post
                        As far as I can tell, the way DLA was talking, I am not sure he has a family started yet....could be wrong. I have my wife, 2 girls and my mother and stepfather (and their dog) moving in next month. Thankfully, my 803 square foot house has a full basement that is going to be finished starting tomorrow. I still wouldn't want 5 bedrooms. But like I said...to each his own.
                        i don't have a family yet, but the reason i would want to buy a 5 bedroom is because once i buy a house, i want it to be my first and last. i'll want to be prepared for my future family. houses in san diego are very expensive and i only get one chance at a first time home buyer loan. even with the money that we make at cbp, it would take years to save up 20% down payment on a house that costs 500-600k, not to mention if i wait a few years and the economy goes back up the houses will be back up in the 800k-1mil range. sorry if i sound spoiled to those of you who would settle for 2 and 3 bedroom houses.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                          i don't have a family yet, but the reason i would want to buy a 5 bedroom is because once i buy a house, i want it to be my first and last. i'll want to be prepared for my future family. houses in san diego are very expensive and i only get one chance at a first time home buyer loan. even with the money that we make at cbp, it would take years to save up 20% down payment on a house that costs 500-600k, not to mention if i wait a few years and the economy goes back up the houses will be back up in the 800k-1mil range. sorry if i sound spoiled to those of you who would settle for 2 and 3 bedroom houses.
                          How about buying a 2-3 bedroom home that needs a little cosmetic work now, then when you get married start looking for the 5 bedroom house. You can either sell your first house or rent it out. If the market goes back up in the mean time you can make a decent profit on your first house and have a good down payment for your second. I accidentally did this exact thing two times. I got very good deals on the houses when I bought them (they were all we could afford), then I sold it at a fair price and walked away with a good amount of money in my pocket for the next house.

This strategy has a couple advantages. First you don't have the carrying cost of a huge house that you only need a few rooms out of. You can invest the money you are saving from those carrying costs to apply to the next house, in addition to any profits you reap. Second, if you buy a smaller house then you and your new spouse can find a house that suits both your tastes. Or conversely (don't know how feasible this is where you are) you could buy a chunk of land and pay it off, then when you get married you and your spouse can pick out a floor plan and have the house built to your specifications. Since all you are paying for is the house, you would be able to afford upgrades that you normally couldn't afford.

You also have the benefit that when you are starting CBP you don't really make all that much, when compared to three or four years down the road. A mortgage payment you wouldn't even qualify for now, even for a new home buyer, would easily be paid as a 12. Once you get hired you are looking at 30-40k in pay raises in the first four years. Just some things to think about.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Applicants...especially newer applicants...

Below is a letter sent out recently by Border Patrol to their applicants:

October 16, 2009

Dear Applicant:

The purpose of this email is to inform you of changes related to the Border Patrol Agent position for which you have received a conditional offer of employment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You have already successfully completed the pre-employment requirements and are waiting to be contacted with a firm offer of location, reporting date and assignment to a Border Patrol Academy class.

During your training at the BP Academy, you will be expected to fully participate in a number of vigorous training activities. These activities will include: Arrest Techniques training, Defensive Tactics training, Collapsible Straight Baton training and daily physical conditioning. Physical conditioning is very intense, and includes Muscular Endurance Training, Mobility Training, Strength Training and runs of varying speeds and distances. These physical training activities will be conducted both indoors, in state of the art athletic facilities, and outdoors on fields, tracks and roadways. Often times, the training is conducted under hot and humid conditions.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties, a second fitness test (PFT2) has been developed. You may be scheduled to take the PFT2 approximately 30 days prior to your entrance on duty. The PFT2 will take place at the Headquarters office of the Border Patrol Sector located closest to your current mailing address. You will be responsible for getting yourself to and from the PFT2. Any expenses incurred in doing that will be your responsibility.

The fitness test will consist of:

(1) 220 yard run - must be completed in 46 seconds or less
                            (2) Sit-ups – 25 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
                            (3) Push ups – 20 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
                            (4) 1.5 mile run - must be completed in 15 minutes or less

If you do not successfully pass the PFT2, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process.

We urge you to take advantage of the time you have while waiting to be contacted to ensure that you get in shape and stay in shape - regardless of your current level of conditioning - so that you will be adequately prepared for the rigorous fitness program at the Academy.

You will be receiving more information on the PFT2 as it becomes available.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection.

Sincerely,

Gwen Wild
                            Branch Chief, Pre-employment Clearance Services

This is just my opinion, but there's probably the same or a similar type letter in the works for OFO. You might want to heed it's advice and start to prepare yourself to pass those standards today, just in case this is dropped on you...4, 6 or 12 months from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Applicants...especially newer applicants...

Below is a letter sent out recently by Border Patrol to their applicants:

October 16, 2009

Dear Applicant:

The purpose of this email is to inform you of changes related to the Border Patrol Agent position for which you have received a conditional offer of employment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You have already successfully completed the pre-employment requirements and are waiting to be contacted with a firm offer of location, reporting date and assignment to a Border Patrol Academy class.

During your training at the BP Academy, you will be expected to fully participate in a number of vigorous training activities. These activities will include: Arrest Techniques training, Defensive Tactics training, Collapsible Straight Baton training and daily physical conditioning. Physical conditioning is very intense, and includes Muscular Endurance Training, Mobility Training, Strength Training and runs of varying speeds and distances. These physical training activities will be conducted both indoors, in state of the art athletic facilities, and outdoors on fields, tracks and roadways. Often times, the training is conducted under hot and humid conditions.

In an effort to better prepare you to be successful in performing your duties, a second fitness test (PFT2) has been developed. You may be scheduled to take the PFT2 approximately 30 days prior to your entrance on duty. The PFT2 will take place at the Headquarters office of the Border Patrol Sector located closest to your current mailing address. You will be responsible for getting yourself to and from the PFT2. Any expenses incurred in doing that will be your responsibility.

The fitness test will consist of:

(1) 220 yard run - must be completed in 46 seconds or less
                              (2) Sit-ups – 25 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
                              (3) Push ups – 20 proper form must be completed in one minute or less
                              (4) 1.5 mile run - must be completed in 15 minutes or less

If you do not successfully pass the PFT2, your conditional offer of employment will be withdrawn and you will not continue in the hiring process.

We urge you to take advantage of the time you have while waiting to be contacted to ensure that you get in shape and stay in shape - regardless of your current level of conditioning - so that you will be adequately prepared for the rigorous fitness program at the Academy.

You will be receiving more information on the PFT2 as it becomes available.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with Customs and Border Protection.

Sincerely,

Gwen Wild
                              Branch Chief, Pre-employment Clearance Services

This is just my opinion, but there's probably the same or a similar type letter in the works for OFO. You might want to heed it's advice and start to prepare yourself to pass those standards today, just in case this is dropped on you...4, 6 or 12 months from now.
                              Are you sure? BPA is a much more physically demanding job than CBPO. That letter sounded alot like the fitness letter than CBPO's get. Maybe as our fitness requirements have gone up, so have theirs. My old letter said something along the lines of "before I enter on duty I will have to be scheduled for a PT test". I doubt that they will ask us to do this In addition to the new fitness requirements so soon after changing them on us.
                              CBPO
                              GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                              PE Forms - Completed
                              Fitness - Completed
                              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                              Drug Screen - Completed
                              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                              TSU

Comment

• Hello everyone and happy Sunday. I was wondering one thing, and after searching through this forum, I could not find an answer. I was wondering out of all applicants, how many make it to TSU.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4166 users online. 178 members and 3988 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X