300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
    ohh i see.. i guess that will be something to consider when i have kids n a family maybe. and when i've got gs-12 or 13 pay. cuz gs-09 just isn't gonna cut it..
    Wow man...must be expensive out there in Cali.

I have a wife and 2 children.....GS-9 pay would be a dream come true for this family...

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
      This post upset you guys and gals? Really? Are you all wound that tightly? Believe me, I understand better than most of you ranting about this post. This is a nerve wracking process, but come on! What would you guys do if they let Hunt the Jackal back on here. This guy was just joking and he respectfully apologized. Some of the responses to this joke make me afraid that some of you might be armed shortly. Lighten up and worry about the big stuff. I honestly don't intend for this to sound insensitive or mean, but if your self esteem is that fragile, you may want to do a little soul searching in this wait time. Good luck to everyone, and try to relax a little.
      That post has nothing to do with self esteem or being wound too tight. It was very disrespectful to everyone waiting to hear who got into FLETC. He had a bunch of us excited that things may be moving along. Now next time someone announces they got the call, I will be hesitant to believe them which really would suck for that person. As I said before, this forum is for Q/A and these days, a support group. If nothing was said to him then who knows if he will come on here again with something idiotic or stupid to say when he gets bored. It's not cool to be on some local cop thread and come on to this one to play a joke. I'm all about joking and cutting up, but do you really want someone like him on here? I don't. It has nothing to do with character but all to do with respect. That just wasnt a nice thing to do.

As far as the soul searching...Man I'm too old to do anymore soul searching. This body is done!! Im where I want to be, except the fact that it takes me longer to get out of bed in the morning! Im already taking advil and now thanks to some of these guys, glucosomine!! I promise you I do have a good soul and heart. I just dont like anyone insulting my peeps!!

And Barnaj or Drcapp....Dont you dare post a pic of an old wrinkling woman with no teeth or its on!!!

BTW... I already carry a gun and I know how to use it well!!
      Last edited by cajunchik; 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FPenCo View Post
        Old enough to enjoy life. U guys are way to uptight. Don't worry your IT jobs and real estate jobs will come back. Many of you are pursuing a career in law enforcement because of the economy. Pull the stick out of your *** and enjoy life.
        Dirtstyx
        BTW.... His post didnt upset me until he posted this one. It just wasnt in good taste!!

Comment

• Seems like our job with the new Journeyman GS-12 announcement will be getting a lot of attention from all walks of life... Can't wait to see the implementation. The email mentioned Jan-April 2010? I was off today...
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
            Congratulations on finishing the Academy and making it to Spanish. It looks like you made it in just in time; a few of us on here have been waiting for CA-SW for a few months (ValD since April). Oh well, hopefully we will join you in SYS or Otay soon. The 12 makes it even more worth the wait.

If you don't mind, and are at liberty to do so, could you tell me/us if you were in the last wave of SYS hires or have there been a lot after you? Take care, and congrats again!

Go Chargers.
            Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
            Congratulations on finishing the Academy and making it to Spanish. It looks like you made it in just in time; a few of us on here have been waiting for CA-SW for a few months (ValD since April). Oh well, hopefully we will join you in SYS or Otay soon. The 12 makes it even more worth the wait.

If you don't mind, and are at liberty to do so, could you tell me/us if you were in the last wave of SYS hires or have there been a lot after you? Take care, and congrats again!

Go Chargers.
            let me see.. i was class 946. you can see my timeline for reference. currently in my spanish class, we have guys from otay, SYS, calexico, and some arizona/texas ports. the student in our class that 951, but another spanish class came the week after us. at our port we have a whiteboard that says what people are in pre-academy, post-academy, spanish academy, and which will be hitting the floor soon. last i saw.. we had people from class 970 or 971. we amazingly had like 17 or so people from san ysidro in that academy class. i think they should currently be in the 980s or 990s.. my chief here at spanish said that they're drastically slowing down the hiring for CBP. for fiscal year 2010 they will only be hiring around 1500. if you have any questions, please PM me. i don't usually check the CBP thread much. thanks again and good luck to everyone else in the process. go CHARGERS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beecy View Post
              Wow man...must be expensive out there in Cali.

I have a wife and 2 children.....GS-9 pay would be a dream come true for this family...
              oh yes.. very expensive in cali. i want a 5 bedroom house.. if i'm looking to get one brand new in my area, it's still gonna cost 500-600k+

now.. if i get one that is bank owned or a foreclosure.. 5 bedrooms is still 350-450k (350 if i'm lucky)

i definitely NEED gs-12 AND my overtime. on the other hand.. my friends that i've met from all over the US during my cbp fletc career.. many say that 150-200k will buy a very nice house. some even have property of 1-2 acres and have spent 200k or so. i could only wish..

Comment

• Well I'm tired of waiting for CBP so I applied to a local PD. Taking the test on 10/22/09.......hopefully this process moves a lot faster than CBP

Comment

• Question regarding salaries...

For most of us... it seems we start off with a GS5 or GS7... myself a GS5. However, when looking at the pay scales, I see each GS level has another range within each level... like the GS5 level ranges from 30K to 39K... then what exactly is the starting salary? Also, I know the salaries vary slightly for each port. Does anyone know where St. Thomas is on the scale or where I could find this information? I found a few places but the info seem contradictory.

Also, when we start, how many vacation/sick days do we have to begin with? Do we automatically start with 13?

Thanks!

Comment

• Assuming you're not a current fed...

You'll almost certainly start out as a GS-05 or GS-07 step 1. The USVI's fall under the RUS pay scale and they also have a 25% COLA added on top of the base salary. You start with ZERO sick/vacation days and earn 4 hours of annual and 4 hours of sick leave every pay period.

If you've present/previous federal service, your mileage may differ. You might see sick/annual leave transfer. You might start off earning more leave per pay period. You might start higher on the GS-05/07 pay scale than a step 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by tippmann87 View Post
                      Well I'm tired of waiting for CBP so I applied to a local PD. Taking the test on 10/22/09.......hopefully this process moves a lot faster than CBP
                      Good luck with it. This process is very long. I quit my job in June and have been a domestic Godess ever since which is getting old fast. I didn't quit because of cbp. I had taken the test for it but was going for local PD because i didn't think I would get the cbp one. When I got the package in and started passing all the tests, I stop trying for local. The hard part is that you know if they brought you this far along, they should eventually hire you but it's the when. I want to go back to work but I don't want to be there for 3 months and get the call and have to quit. I'm a very loyal person and would feel horrible. I would have had to quit my old job anyway after the BI got ahold of them and they found out I was leaving them. I dealt with only very confidential personal info and if someone quits, they tell you to leave right then, you don't get 2 weeks. What happens in those cases when a BI wants to interview your current employer and you know once that happens, you lose your job?

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                        let me see.. i was class 946. you can see my timeline for reference. currently in my spanish class, we have guys from otay, SYS, calexico, and some arizona/texas ports. the student in our class that 951, but another spanish class came the week after us. at our port we have a whiteboard that says what people are in pre-academy, post-academy, spanish academy, and which will be hitting the floor soon. last i saw.. we had people from class 970 or 971. we amazingly had like 17 or so people from san ysidro in that academy class. i think they should currently be in the 980s or 990s.. my chief here at spanish said that they're drastically slowing down the hiring for CBP. for fiscal year 2010 they will only be hiring around 1500. if you have any questions, please PM me. i don't usually check the CBP thread much. thanks again and good luck to everyone else in the process. go CHARGERS!
                        This is a perfect example not to believe much of anything in regards to hiring projections. Some guys say they heard from MHC it's gonna be X number of classes, another guy says his Port Director says X number of people, Joe Blow says they told him 17 classes, and this instructor says 1500, which would be about 30 classes. My point is that you guys/gals shouldn't get discouraged by the reduction in new hires based on speculation. When its all said in done that might hire a record number, nobody knows. Remember, the "calendar year" 2010 doesn't even start 2.5 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                          This is a perfect example not to believe much of anything in regards to hiring projections. Some guys say they heard from MHC it's gonna be X number of classes, another guy says his Port Director says X number of people, Joe Blow says they told him 17 classes, and this instructor says 1500, which would be about 30 classes. My point is that you guys/gals shouldn't get discouraged by the reduction in new hires based on speculation. When its all said in done that might hire a record number, nobody knows. Remember, the "calendar year" 2010 doesn't even start 2.5 months.
                          my thoughts exactly.. plus the FY10 budget hasn't even been voted on yet.. right?
                          CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by anthony30 View Post
                            my thoughts exactly.. plus the FY10 budget hasn't even been voted on yet.. right?
                            You see its the natural progression of things. Things slowed down for a few months due to many factors. So people start getting depressed and pessimistic. When that happens the negative part of the mind starts working overtime. Then there are those who have the job and dont like it or people that are just buzzkillers that overexagerrate how bad its gonna be just to make people nervous. Trust me Uncle Sam is loaded and they will never skimp on border security in fear of another 9/11.

Comment

• Hey Barnaj, thanks for those words. They help in these hard times.

Comment

• wrong about getting fired.. "at Will employment" is allowed in some states. i stand corrected
                                Last edited by anthony30; 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM.
                                CBPO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6758 users online. 233 members and 6525 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X