• Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=MP-K-9;2017102]
    Originally posted by cajunchik View Post

'' YOU KNOW IT'S GREAT... TO BE A.........FLORIDA GATOR"
    when are you getting back from Iraq??

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
      I can only go by my experience. In the twelve years and 6 ports that I have worked at I have never seen anyone EOD in the middle of a pay period. My orginial EOD date was a Sunday in Nov 1997. I promise you I didn't work on that Sunday because the first day was signing paperwork and taking the Oath in the District Office. Noone works in the District Office on a Sunday.

FB
      I have a question, if moving ports is almost impossible, as told by kc12 and Merlin, how have you been to a different post every 2 years? Are these mandatory transfers or have you been able to move somewhat freely? Merlin has said that he has been at numerous ports as well. I guess I'm asking because if I'm stationed where I want, I don't want them to say that I have to move 2 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
        I have a question, if moving ports is almost impossible, as told by kc12 and Merlin, how have you been to a different post every 2 years? Are these mandatory transfers or have you been able to move somewhat freely? Merlin has said that he has been at numerous ports as well. I guess I'm asking because if I'm stationed where I want, I don't want them to say that I have to move 2 years later.
        +1 Styx.....I have been noticing the same type of thing....can't move but have moved many times...I've seen that a few times on here....maybe it used to be easier to move in the past. I have one friend that had to wait about 2 years to move from Port Huron back to Buffalo....he was told he would have a 2 year wait and that is what happened. So I think it probably depends on the ports requested and the port directors involved.

Comment

• Nobody is saying that it is impossible to move.....It is not easy to move from a busy port (Laredo, El Paso) to a 2 man airport, but it does happen. You are rarely (usually due to extrodinary reasons) forced to move.

You will not be allowed to move till you have spent 3 years in your port of assignement as a general rule. Your Port of assignement must agree to release you from your current duties when you find a port that is willing to take you. If your current port is short, they are not going to be able to release you till a replacement is hired and is ready to take over.
          Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• It is difficult to move locations because... Normally CBP doesn't advertise for relocations. They are available, but not plentiful. I haven't tracked them, but I would guess no more than about 2-3 per month. Since there aren't many opportunities advertised and many people apply for the few openings odds are you won't get selected. Add to that if there aren't any openings where you want to go, it doesn't matter that there are openings someplace else.

Swaps are possible, but you have to be approved all the way up the line as does the person you want to swap with. If anybody in either line objects, the move will not happen. There are many reasons why people do not approve an application to move. Some just out of spite will not forward the application or will deny it. One of the guys I work with had a DFO tell him he could get a hardship move, but a Chief in the line didn't like him, or maybe liked him too much, either way the Chief held 12 of this guys applications and never forwarded them. The DFO thought someone else approved the move when he was out on vacation, so he didn't look into why my friend didn't apply for the move. It finally took a Congressional to make the move happen.

The only time your port doesn't have a say in whether you can move or not is if the job is announced on USAJOBS. If you apply for one of those jobs and are selected it is coming from headquarters and nobody at your port can stop it from happening. Again, those jobs are very competitive so odds are you will not be selected.

I've worked at three different ports, but have been in service less than 6 years. We assist two other completely independent ports when they need help.
            Last edited by kc12; 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Medical Exam

To those that have been examed, what does this exam consist of?

Comment

• Here's a question for you folks. It is purely semantics, but I was wondering if anyone knows the appropriate usage for the term "federal agent?" Is the term only applicable for special agent criminal investiagtors or does it extend to federal law enforcment officers like CBPOs? I have heard arguments on both sides and I'm wondering what your thoughts are. I personally think that the term could be extended to CBPOs as the term "agent" could be deemed a generic term for any sworn federal law enforcement personnel.
                "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by MarineSniper21 View Post
                  Medical exam is pretty standard. First is a vision test where they test distance vision and color blindness. Then there is a hearing test where you are but in a booth and press a button every time you hear a noise in these headphones. Lastly you get a physical like you'd get at a doctor's office. No blood work, but you do get a TB test which you have to get read in a few days.
                  "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by MarineSniper21 View Post
                    I had to do an EKG with my medical on top of everything Lamp Lighter said. Don't have any type of caffeine before you go. I made the mistake of having a redbull that morning and she told me I had to come back the next day because sometimes it messes up the results. I didnt do my drug test there, but the nurse did tell me that they do drug test in their office and that sometimes red bull shows up positive for cocaine. I dont know how true it is but lets just say that I havent touched the stuff since and didnt want to risk it even if it wasnt true!! Another tip is that they tell you not to listen to loud music 15 hours before the hearing test. I had an hour drive and wasnt going to listen to myself breath the whole ride there, so I did have my music on. Not loud, but not quiet. I didnt fail the hearing test but got a letter back from the med unit saying that I had a slight hearing loss at a high pitch range but nothing to prevent me from this job. I know I hear perfectly fine so Im chalking it up to listening to music on the way. The sight test was not an accurate test. I failed my distance test and had to get evaluated by my eye dr. I just had RPK for the second time in April so I was not happy about the results. I ended up being 20/20 so dont freak out if you get a negative on that. I remember reading several other people on here that had the same problem. when they went to their eye dr, they ended up being fine. Mine was some old school machine that kept fogging up everytime i tried to look in it so of course I couldnt read what was in there!! You will be fine, though. Unless you are in terrible shape, the medical exam is the easiest part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                      Here's a question for you folks. It is purely semantics, but I was wondering if anyone knows the appropriate usage for the term "federal agent?" Is the term only applicable for special agent criminal investiagtors or does it extend to federal law enforcment officers like CBPOs? I have heard arguments on both sides and I'm wondering what your thoughts are. I personally think that the term could be extended to CBPOs as the term "agent" could be deemed a generic term for any sworn federal law enforcement personnel.
                      I'm wondering the same thing because my original paperwork had the CBPO position labeled as an agent not officer. Then I started getting other paperwork in that was labeling the position as an officer. I thought I originally read it wrong but went back to the old documents and sure enough it said agent. Can anyone shed some light??

Comment

• I know that there is probably no reasoning to this question but if anyone could give me their own personal experience.

How long does it take for the security office to clear your BI after the full report has been sent over to them from the investigator?? I am, in the investigators opinion, very boring which is a good thing she explained to me. Never been arrested, only left the country on 3 different occasions for vacation and only max 5 days each time. Been married to same person for 13 years and I have been living in my present address for 8 years. God I am boring on paper!! Anyway, what I'm getting at is that i dont have much to look at so in my case will i clear quickly or it doesnt matter because my file could sit in the security office for awhile before they clear it?? Just curious cause I really want to be in TSU even though it doesnt mean much these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by cajunchik View Post
                          I'm wondering the same thing because my original paperwork had the CBPO position labeled as an agent not officer. Then I started getting other paperwork in that was labeling the position as an officer. I thought I originally read it wrong but went back to the old documents and sure enough it said agent. Can anyone shed some light??
                          I think that "agent" may be just a broad term and "officer," "special agent," etc. may be more specific titles.

As for the medical exam, forgot about the EKG! My mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                            I think that "agent" may be just a broad term and "officer," "special agent," etc. may be more specific titles.

As for the medical exam, forgot about the EKG! My mistake.
                            I remember the EKG so well because of having to drive an hour back the next day to get it done. at least they gave me a chance to come back, though!!

Comment

• Home

[QUOTE=cajunchik;2017117]
                              Originally posted by MP-K-9 View Post

when are you getting back from Iraq??
                              First it was June 2010 now its Feb and now it maybe before the new year. Will see, i did apply for a bunch of jobs with DA Police, BOP,other jobs withine TSA and the Federal Reserve so I would llike to be around to do some of the process sooner then later.

Cant wait to ride my bike down the beach.......:

SGT. K
                              "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• [QUOTE=MP-K-9;2018475]
                                Originally posted by cajunchik View Post

First it was June 2010 now its Feb and now it maybe before the new year. Will see, i did apply for a bunch of jobs with DA Police, BOP,other jobs withine TSA and the Federal Reserve so I would llike to be around to do some of the process sooner then later.

Cant wait to ride my bike down the beach.......:

SGT. K
                                hopefully you will be on that bike sooner than later be safe over there

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9191 users online. 433 members and 8758 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X