• Show
Clear All

• Two more clicks, brought seemingly GREAT news:

http://data.wherethejobsare.org/wtja/agency/31
    Projected 2010-2012 hires:
    CBP: 4,950
    BPA: 9,800
    ICE: 1,150
    Don't forget to click on the "Turnover" tab too.

Comment

• Unless aliens (other worldly, not foreign) have gifted the government with crystal balls, there is no way for them to predict when current officers will leave due to attrition. Due to the state of the economy, less officers are retiring or taking the leap and transferring to other agencies. There is no given number of how many will die in the line of duty, get fired, arrested, retire, or disappear off the face of the earth. To expect the government to accurately extrapolate a number under a given range of dates and set it based on priority and geographical preference is asking way too much. Right now, all their focus is on the media-hyped health care fiasco (truthfully, ALL of the government is vastly underfunded), Olympic bids, which sport athlete is juiced, and the next winner of Dancing with the Stars.
      Everyone here knew what they were getting into from day one and that having the opportunity to nab a spot on Uncle Sugar's teat was a waiting game. Don't quit your day job. Don't log into CASS every Tuesday or Thursday praying for that next/last green check to mark appear. Go on with your life like this job never existed. You'll save yourself the grief and your blood pressure will be lower for when (not if) your medical expires and you're called in to retest.
      Oh heck, what am I saying? People in glass houses should not throw stones. I check CASS about 10 times every Tuesday and Thursday. I and about 140 of my fellow officers were laid off by our department this past July and I have nothing to do BUT go online between workout sessions and job searches. Get a job you say? How, when 1 of every 8 people in California are unemployed and the number is only going to get higher with no end in sight? Rant over.
      Last edited by Thoughtless; 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
        Two more clicks, brought seemingly GREAT news:

http://data.wherethejobsare.org/wtja/agency/31
        Projected 2010-2012 hires:
        CBP: 4,950
        BPA: 9,800
        ICE: 1,150
        Don't forget to click on the "Turnover" tab too.
        Yeah, according to that (if there is any truth to it) there will be 1,000 more new hires than last year. Of course that is over 3 years...

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
          Unless aliens (other worldly, not foreign) have gifted the government with crystal balls, there is no way for them to predict when current officers will leave due to attrition. Due to the state of the economy, less officers are retiring or taking the leap and transferring to other agencies.
          I very well could be wrong....but aren't many of the CBP's etc. automatically retired once 20 years is reached?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
            Yeah, according to that (if there is any truth to it) there will be 1,000 more new hires than last year. Of course that is over 3 years...
            It will be an average of 1650 new hires each year over the this and then next 2 years as opposed to the 1950 hired each year for the past 2. By that estimation hiring would be cut to an understandable degree, but it doesn't explain the past 6 months of almost non-existant hiring.
            Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM.
            CBPO
            GEO - NY/JFK
            TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
            PE Forms - Completed
            Fitness - Completed
            VBT - 03/09 - Completed
            Drug Screen - Completed
            Qual - 05/09 - Completed
            B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
            Medical - 05/09 - Completed
            TSU

EOD: ???
            FLETC: ???

Comment

• barnaj, you were told to expect some news soon, anything yet?
              Last edited by Bolts56; 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
                barnaj, you were told to expect some news soon, anything yet?
                My IA person told me yesterday that, its still pending but they are in the process of recieving back the files that were forwarded for final review. So hopefully i'll hear something soon.

Comment

• This will cheer everyone up

or Scare everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                    I believe the hiring surge from over a year ago ended last February and after 7 months of limited hiring they have decided just to replace out going CBPO's. If there are only 29 classes, then only a hand full of CBPO's would be hired per port. However, the high priority GEO locations will most likely be filled first.
                    When I first started reading this blog 18 months ago there were lots of people who would post, chat, etc...
                    There has been nothing news worthy in a long time. The reality is most of us are not being hired, even if you are in TSU.
                    It’s over, just read the email. There are no hidden messages, it’s over. They are not hiring. There is not going to be any fiscal year surge. They will continue to hire, they have too, but not like a year ago. Those days are gone.
                    I am done wasting my time. This will be my last post for a long time. I will check in after the holidays. Good luck to everyone!!
                    DEBBIE DOWNER!!!

Haha, jk. I completely understand the frustration. I am now really exploring other options for myself. DC Metropolitan Police, here I come!
                    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by drcapp View Post

This will cheer everyone up

or Scare everyone
                      Haha, i love it! He has the perfect name for the hiring these days...

Comment

• Timeline of the CBP Hiring Process

Comment

• With only 29 classes, maybe we will get our own rooms at FLETC.

I'm reaching to find some upside here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdlewis View Post
                            Hahaha, 2071!

Comment

• The TSU lounge.

Comment

• Called TSU today. Was told there really isn't any hiring going on right now. Was told there was a November class being canceled. Also mentioned was the possible wait for congressional reconciliation on the new year's budget expenditures.

The only good thing that was said was that they are basically reviewing priorities for future geographical placement. Anything and everything is speculation at best, I'm just looking for anything to latch on to. Been in TSU since January for Vermont?

Anyone hear anything different?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11584 users online. 409 members and 11175 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X