300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
    Yeah, I received the same email today from Customs about there not being any open positions, etc... it is my second time receiving as well.

I will say this... I took the original test back in December of 2008. Ironically, the announcement for that exam was open for a while before that and when I checked back, it was closed. I was annoyed because my waiting led me to miss the exam. HOWEVER, after checking back, they opened up the announcment again ONLY for people who were interested in one 12 locations as opposed to all locations. These 12 locations were supposed to be areas that needed people badly. One of them was St. Thomas so I signed up under that one. I took the test in December of 2008. And, after all that, and the re-opening of the announcement for areas that "needed people" I'm still here just sitting around twiddling my thumbs. I feel like I've been misled at this point. Another few months and a full year will pass since the exam date... not to mention I'm from New York and had to FLY to Washington, DC just to take the exam. I know the economy is causing problems for the hiring process, but still, I really hope they don't open the announcement again anytime too soon because if they do, I will be a little miffed... like how could they even want to test and hire more people when they have more than enough already in the pipeline?

Sorry for the rant.
    Well said, my feelings exactly!!

Comment

• Maybe we have to contact the U.S. House of Representatives
      Committee on Homeland Security to express our concerns on how the U.S Customs and Border Protection Administration announced vacancies and after the applicant completed all the hiring process they just put them in TSU for a long period of time. Especially in this economic situation, like they said "Hiring has slowed considerably due to the current economic climate". Bull*&%#. Maybe we can send them the Anthony TSU list.

Comment

• make sure they understand that the tsu list is only of 10% of the people who know about this site.
        CBPO

Comment

• hear this My Brother who is a branch chief (14) at fletc was telling me this past weekend that they (instructors) have to wear their campaign hats now every time they go outside but only 29 CBPO classes this year so he like the trade off the major hiring is now over and only classes to replace out going cbpos

Comment

• Originally posted by shortybop View Post
            I have a question. Do you know if your BI goes to all your places of residence, or your most current to talk to you neighbors?
            I met with my BI last week and she asked if my past resident info was correct. I moved away from there 8 years ago and my old neighbor has moved previously so I got on the phone with him while she was here to get the correct address from him. I asked her if she needed to talk with him and she said no. I asked her after I got off the phone with him if she was going to contact him and she said no but that she needed the correct info for her file. I'm sure it's because I've been living at my present address for more than 7 years that she doesn't need to speak to him. She did interview 2 of my neighbors where I am residing now so I guess it depends on the situation! I don't think she will be going 8 hours drive to visit with him so I assume that if you have moved less than 7 years and it's close by, it will depend on your individual BI. Mine on the other hand interviewed all of my friends I put on my form plus asked them for more friends and ended up interviewing 2 more friends. They only ask for 1 neighbor reference but she interviewed 2 so you never know what they will do.

Comment

• Originally posted by kokezero View Post
              hear this My Brother who is a branch chief (14) at fletc was telling me this past weekend that they (instructors) have to wear their campaign hats now every time they go outside but only 29 CBPO classes this year so he like the trade off the major hiring is now over and only classes to replace out going cbpos
              "the major hiring is now over and only classes to replace out going cbpos"
              This makes the most sense to me.

Comment

hear this My Brother who is a branch chief (14) at fletc was telling me this past weekend that they (instructors) have to wear their campaign hats now every time they go outside but only 29 CBPO classes this year so he like the trade off the major hiring is now over and only classes to replace out going cbpos
                can you please try to re-write this is a way that possible could make sense. maybe use sentences?

Comment

Thank you for passing along this information, but I hope you're wrong! If your brother is correct, 29 classes at ~50 Trainees per class means that ~1,450 of 2,000+ people in TSU (and growing) will go to FLETC between now and September 30, 2010.

So you're telling me there's a chance!!
                  Last edited by Bolts56; 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
                    Thank you for passing along this information, but I hope you're wrong! If your brother is correct, 29 classes at ~50 Trainees per class means that ~1,450 of 2,000+ people in TSU (and growing) will go to FLETC between now and September 30, 2010.

divide that number by the the amount of GEO locations and things do not look good, or divide it by the high priority geo locations and it's really bad.

Comment

I believe the hiring surge from over a year ago ended last February and after 7 months of limited hiring they have decided just to replace out going CBPO's. If there are only 29 classes, then only a hand full of CBPO's would be hired per port. However, the high priority GEO locations will most likely be filled first.
                      When I first started reading this blog 18 months ago there were lots of people who would post, chat, etc...
                      There has been nothing news worthy in a long time. The reality is most of us are not being hired, even if you are in TSU.
                      It’s over, just read the email. There are no hidden messages, it’s over. They are not hiring. There is not going to be any fiscal year surge. They will continue to hire, they have too, but not like a year ago. Those days are gone.
                      I am done wasting my time. This will be my last post for a long time. I will check in after the holidays. Good luck to everyone!!

Comment

• I didn't do a search, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Merlin and others stating an attrition rate leading to vacancies that 29 classes wouldn't cover. However, in this economy it makes sense that less CBPOs are retiring or resigning. Who knows?

Comment

Last edited by imlikeaninja; 02-15-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post

Let me offer a glimmer of hope. All the people currently in TSU are not going to be taking the job when it is offered. People have been waiting a long time. Inevitably some of them will have accepted offers from other agencies or otherwise moved on from this process.

Comment

There may be some credence to this post. I'm not taking it as gospel. The poster is new and has trouble putting a sentence together.(No Offense).As an applicant there are no guarantees or entitlements with this job. It is what it is. I choose to be optimistic and have a positive attitude. Don't forget it's only a job. There is more to life.

T-
                              Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                              Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• This feeling is completely based on speculation, but I'd bet that to add insult to injury, they are going to go through the lists, calling everyone in for a polygraph just to cut the wheat from the chaff. MHC is bound to get pretty bored and fear losing their own jobs.

I thought I'd just add a bit of fuel to the fire, again not based on hard evidence, but rather Murphy's law and an unrelated pounding headache.

Jobs are getting infinitely harder to come by and those that still exist are getting worse. My current Insurance employer (who will remain nameless) is pretty much destroying its agency force and skewering its staff. All over the east coat the company is literally going into the books of business and seemingly selecting the most profitable and longstanding family portfolios to cut adrift.

It's a bummer, but there is no option. The money isn't there to hire staff or pay claims. We should all apply as SKO (Soup Kitchen Officers), because that seems like the only industry that is set to grow over the long haul.

GAk!!! Heart Attack!!!

Quick, somebody say something cheeky to cheer us up! I'll give you a hint, one person can say "I got the call" and we will all change our tune. Statistically, if anyone is being called at all we are bound to have a first-person account on these forums soon enough.
                                Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7482 users online. 338 members and 7144 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X