300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Merlin, If you are in TSU waiting for more than one specific location and you get the call with an offer for a location you least prefer. Do you recommend to ask TSU if you can wait for the location you really want?

Thanks
    Let's see if I understand you...

A guy who has a TO in one geographical area wants to know if he can port-shop to a specific port within that area, correct?

You can ask...but prepare for them to say "no". If you ultimately turn down an offer from within the geographical area where you were granted the TO, chances are they will pull your application and trash it.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
      Thats incorrect. After you graduate fletc, you have one travel day and then report to your duty station for work. Unless of course you get some leave approved after graduation.
      Originally posted by anthony30 View Post
      if you get to fletc that means you were hired. you usually start pre fletc training at your poe/station, usually 2-4 wks. Then you go to fletc and when you are dont there u go back to your poe/station to start your post fletch training right away. as far as i know there is no more waiting after fletc. your in and on probation for 3 yrs. thats how i understand it. good luck
      Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
      It’s my understanding you report to your port a few days after FLETC and immediately begin work. You are an official employee as of your very first day of pre academy. (EOD date) I have heard you can request some vacation time after FLETC so you can move or whatever, but I have never heard that you have to wait around for another call.
      Originally posted by TXGRL View Post
      [WHAT? are you kidding me? Yeah, I would like to know the answer to this question as well...because are you getting payed while you wait for deployment? ( and do you mean deployed to your duty station?)Because that would not be so bad, that way you can prepare for your move, if your moving, and getting payed..to basically recoup.
      This was answered yesterday. Just yesterday and a gajillion (rough estimate) times in the past. I'm not sure where the confusion comes from but as long as I have been involved in the process it has always been EOD,2-4 weeks of pre academy at your port, then FLETC, then 1-2 days later report to your POE.

I was never one of those guys that gets bent out of shape when new people ask questions that were answered a billion times but c'mon, yesterday. Sorry all this waiting is making me surly.
      Last edited by imlikeaninja; 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TXGRL View Post
        WHAT? are you kidding me? Yeah, I would like to know the answer to this question as well...because are you getting payed while you wait for deployment? ( and do you mean deployed to your duty station?)Because that would not be so bad, that way you can prepare for your move, if your moving, and getting payed..to basically recoup.

There is no extended wait between graduation from FLETC and reporting to your port to work. At best you'd likely see 2-3 travel/admin days, mostly for those buried in the far reaches of US,...Alaska/etc.. Most people are working less than 48 hours later, unless they burn annual leave.

Comment

I agree, I heard if you turn down the call, you might as well forget it, because they already invested a lot of money into you as an pre-employment applicant, that they dont want to waste anymore...so they may not consider you again...just what I heard, how accurate, I dont know, but that's what I've been told, so that scared me to the point that and I'm saying yes to whatever, even if it's caca town!...
          If you get to the point where they offer you a job then all you pre employment requirements are complete and they have already spent a ton of money on you. At that point they are done spending money on us and you are ready to be hired.

If they have invested so much into a someone then why would they just trash the application instead of working with you and go and spend money and time on a new candidate?

NY other for example covers a lot of ground and there is a big difference between Albany and Massena or Trout river (300 miles or 5 hrs). I'm my case one is possibly doable and the other is out of the question. If you are qualified, cleared and willing to wait then why wouldn't they let you just take a pass on the 1st offer and hold out for what you really want.

*DISCLAIMER* Before someone chimes in to correct me (merlin I'm looking in your general direction) I realize that pretty much all new hires in Upstate NY end up at Massena or other northern border crossings and they tend to staff Albany from inside. I was not aware of that when I originally applied and am just using this GEO as an example.

Comment

• TXGRL--If by deployed you mean TDY, I had people in my academy class get tasked while still in the academy. They were supposed to report to their port then two weeks later go TDY to another port. That is not the norm though. Typically your port will keep you around to figure out what you know and make sure you won't make them look like a bunch of idiots.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• You can ask...

In the case of NNY...

Albany, NY is a small port of 15 or so Officers. Syracuse isn't all that much bigger. TR, Massena, Ogdensburg are all 50-80 Officers. A-Bay is well over 100 officers. Champlain has over 250 Officers.

Don't count on them putting people in a holding room. In the case of many ports, they really don't need people all that often and when they do it's far more to the port's benefit to bring in seasoned veterans from other ports than to hire new people and have to go through the bother of breaking in a new guy and bringing him up to a basic level of functionality.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG_MP View Post
                Meeting with my Background Investigator this Saturday....finally
                lucky guy, congrats
                CBP written test Miami, FL
                11/10/2007
                NOR letter 01/16/2008
                VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                9/4/2009
                Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                never got first)
                qualifications completed
                BI interview 9/30/2009
                BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                poly: Mar 2011
                updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by imlikeaninja View Post
                  [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
                  as long as I have been involved in the process it has always been EOD,2-4 weeks of pre academy at your port, then FLETC, then 1-2 days later report to your POE.

I was never one of those guys that gets bent out of shape when new people ask questions that were answered a billion times but c'mon, yesterday. Sorry all this waiting is making me surly.
                  I misread the faq on the website, sorry. What's this pre-academy stuff you guys are talking about?

If my GEO is in Maine, but I live in FL, would I have to go to Port Everglades or Port of Miami for 2-4 weeks for this pre-academy thing, then go GA (FLETC), then from there to my post in Maine?

or

By port, do you mean I'd have to go to my GEO for for 2-4 weeks before FLETC, then down to FLETC, then back to GEO?

(I understand the whole bit about more than likely having no time between FLETC and deployment/GEO location).
                  CBP written test Miami, FL
                  11/10/2007
                  NOR letter 01/16/2008
                  VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                  Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                  Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                  9/4/2009
                  Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                  drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                  TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                  never got first)
                  qualifications completed
                  BI interview 9/30/2009
                  BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                  poly: Mar 2011
                  updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                  BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• My polygraph examination is this Monday. Hope I come out of there alive and get the call the following week. If you pass your polygraph, does that mean that your BI is completed? Or will they tell you if you're completed and not interim completed?
                    TO: 4/09/09
                    Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                    TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                      I misread the faq on the website, sorry. What's this pre-academy stuff you guys are talking about?

If my GEO is in Maine, but I live in FL, would I have to go to Port Everglades or Port of Miami for 2-4 weeks for this pre-academy thing, then go GA (FLETC), then from there to my post in Maine?

or

By port, do you mean I'd have to go to my GEO for for 2-4 weeks before FLETC, then down to FLETC, then back to GEO?

(I understand the whole bit about more than likely having no time between FLETC and deployment/GEO location).
                      Sandwichman,

These are the Ports Of Entry in Maine. One of these you will have to report to for pre FLETC. The "pre" academy is usually 2 - 4 weeks. Pre academy has been known to be a lot shorter or longer. To the best of my knowledge where you report to will be home sweet home (Your Duty Station).

Maine

- Bangor

- Bar Harbor

- Bath

- Belfast

- Bridgewater

- Calais

- Eastport

- Fort Fairfield

- Fort Kent

- Houlton

- Jackman

- Jonesport (Calais)

- Limestone

- Madawaska

- Portland-(Service Port)

- Rockland (Belfast)

- Van Buren

- Vanceboro
                      Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                      Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post

or

Most likely, you'd have to go to your port in ME for 2-4 weeks, back to GA, then back to your port after graduation.

Pre-academy is as much about getting you acclimated to your new port and it's surroundings than it is about anything else. In the past, many people used to graduate and head out to a location without ever seeing it first. Lots of those folks walked into tiny ports in the middle of nowhere and were overwhelmed. Lots of those people quit and walked off with Uncle Sugar having spent 10's of thousands in training costs for them.

The current system allows for people to "work" and live for a few weeks in their ports and surrounding communities. Hopefully...if you decide to quit you do so before the academy, or so the G. thinks.

Comment

Sound like what we do at TSA..job swaps are easy...you post something on the TSA website where you want to go, and then someone who is interested can post or email you, then y'all just swap..so there isn't a loss...Transfers here are way harder, sometimes impossible...
                          Job swaps aren't all that easy in CBP. There is no centralized website to post them in, and even if you do manage to get together with someone willing to swap, your port or his port can and often does find some reason to deny the swap.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                            Just adding that any movement is very case specific.

There really isn't much of a mechanism in CBP to do a straight "transfer". There really is little infrastructure within CBP to facilitate Officer movement period.

Most people move either through:

1: swaps, which are two people from different ports deciding, along with both their managements, to swap locations. Swaps are likely the most common way of moving.

2: laterals, which are posted locations one can apply for and if accepted, move. Laterals tend to lean toward less desirable ports, but occasionally there's a gem or two within them.

3: Pre-clearance/CSI, another popular choice for movement. Essentially you sign up for a 2-5 year gig either overseas or in Canada and when you come back you pretty much get your choice of port(s) to which you're willing to return.

4: Transfers, rare...extremely rare. Basically, you ask your port to release you to another port, who is willing to pick you up. Occasionally, they happen...but not often and not for most Officers in most circumstances.
                            Interesting stuff.
                            I have some questions on #3. Are oversea duties hard to get? do CBPOs like them? What kind of work do they do? Are you allowed to take your firearm to another country?
                            that's something I would really enjoy, just curious on how competitive they are to get.

Comment

• Oversea duties usually are fairly competitive. It all depends. Places like Ireland, Great Britain, Spain, etc. usually draw a fair amount of interest. Those places in 3rd world countries and in rougher areas of the globe have less competition, for obvious reasons.

The work...cargo/and or passenger pre-clearance.

As far as firearms goes, don't count on it. Most likely, if you do need to be armed, that would be something arranged between CBP, DOS, and the government of the host country.

Comment

• Meeting with my Background Investigator tomorrow for my first time....any suggestions on how to dress....not to sure if I should wear business, casual, or just look really clean in some jeans??

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11624 users online. 425 members and 11199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X