Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
    any reason why transfering is so difficult? I know with other Federal agencies it's a lot easier.
    I live on the West Coast, but I am from the east coast. Say I do 3-5 years on the West Coast, any chance I can find myself working in the North East someday?
    Hope springs eternal, and the 5 year + time frame is more realistic. It is not really that difficult to move, except you compete with everyone else in the service, and if you only have 3 or 4 years experience you will not get selected as quick as ones with 5+ years.
    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by barnaj View Post
      That aint too long. You only got your t.o. like 2 months ago, correct? Either way, enjoy!
      Actually my TO was from APR 08...but i went to Iraq so my whole process was frozen for a year..so it kicked backed off this past June....either way it hasnt been too long..just hope the whole BI doesnt take forever...

      Comment


      • TSU for L.A./Long Beach- 5/28/2009

        Comment


        • Tsu 5/12/09

          Lax/lb

          Comment


          • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
            any reason why transfering is so difficult? I know with other Federal agencies it's a lot easier.
            I live on the West Coast, but I am from the east coast. Say I do 3-5 years on the West Coast, any chance I can find myself working in the North East someday?
            What Dawg said.

            I'll just add that how difficult it is to move will greatly depend on how you define "moving". If you're willing to go anywhere, anyplace other than the port you're currently in, then your chances of moving are greatly increased. If you're looking for a specific move to one or a few ports...then the chances drop...dramatically.

            To answer your question...if you do five years on the west coast and are will to move anywhere in the northeast, to include Buffalo and NYC, then yeah, you probably have a decent chance. Of course, that all depends on whether or not your port is willing to work with you.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
              Hope springs eternal, and the 5 year + time frame is more realistic. It is not really that difficult to move, except you compete with everyone else in the service, and if you only have 3 or 4 years experience you will not get selected as quick as ones with 5+ years.
              good to know, thanks.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                What Dawg said.

                I'll just add that how difficult it is to move will greatly depend on how you define "moving". If you're willing to go anywhere, anyplace other than the port you're currently in, then your chances of moving are greatly increased. If you're looking for a specific move to one or a few ports...then the chances drop...dramatically.

                To answer your question...if you do five years on the west coast and are will to move anywhere in the northeast, to include Buffalo and NYC, then yeah, you probably have a decent chance. Of course, that all depends on whether or not your port is willing to work with you.
                Thanks for the info.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                  Thanks for the info.

                  Just adding that any movement is very case specific.

                  There really isn't much of a mechanism in CBP to do a straight "transfer". There really is little infrastructure within CBP to facilitate Officer movement period.

                  Most people move either through:

                  1: swaps, which are two people from different ports deciding, along with both their managements, to swap locations. Swaps are likely the most common way of moving.

                  2: laterals, which are posted locations one can apply for and if accepted, move. Laterals tend to lean toward less desirable ports, but occasionally there's a gem or two within them.

                  3: Pre-clearance/CSI, another popular choice for movement. Essentially you sign up for a 2-5 year gig either overseas or in Canada and when you come back you pretty much get your choice of port(s) to which you're willing to return.

                  4: Transfers, rare...extremely rare. Basically, you ask your port to release you to another port, who is willing to pick you up. Occasionally, they happen...but not often and not for most Officers in most circumstances.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Don't count on moving out of anywhere, especially in such a short period of time as 2 years. Does it happen, yes...but not for most. Moving out is not easy and most people will find themselves locked into their original ports for years beyond their 2-year mark.
                    Well, I hope I'm locked in somewhere that's not too bad.. I have a family and a house that I have to relocate/sell..so hopefully I will get something here close..but I'm not holding my breath! ( I'll worry about all of this later..too stressful!) It's hard planning something when you dont know when, where, and how long! this is just crazy....
                    Also I was hoping to eventually go to WA state/ Northern border...I really would like to move out there...but at this point I really would just like a phone call, which I predict that I wont get on until next year... seriously.
                    Thanks for the info!
                    Last edited by TXGRL; 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TXCBP View Post
                      Are you sure your coworker has been waiting since 5/2008?? I have a friend who sister had a TSU date of sometime in Nov, she EOD in March and graduated in June. On another forum, I saw another person who had a TSU date of like 11/20/08 who EOD in early May, both were for E Texas. I find it hard to believe that your coworker has been waiting in TSU since 5/2008 for E Texas.
                      Yes! I'm POSITIVE! I thought it was weird too, I have two other coworkers who also EOD..for El Paso and the other for Houston..and he was never called, and if I'm not mistaken he took his test and everything before them..I dont know what's up with that, I know he applied like 3 years ago...he's very iratated and upset with this whole thing, I know he said he already applied elsewhere and doesnt care if they call anymore...I'm glad you said you know of two other people who EOD, because I was worried that the dates for "the call" in the TSU was backed up all the way to 5/08! maybe something is up with him and he's not being honest?...I really don't know...I guess we will see, especially if I get "the call" before him? but that does make me feel better knowing there is hope!

                      ( correction...as I posted below...I'm going to ask him again and make sure it's not 09, instead of 08)
                      Also just read prior threads...so I guess it is still possible..
                      Last edited by TXGRL; 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Just adding that any movement is very case specific.

                        There really isn't much of a mechanism in CBP to do a straight "transfer". There really is little infrastructure within CBP to facilitate Officer movement period.

                        Most people move either through:

                        1: swaps, which are two people from different ports deciding, along with both their managements, to swap locations. Swaps are likely the most common way of moving.

                        2: laterals, which are posted locations one can apply for and if accepted, move. Laterals tend to lean toward less desirable ports, but occasionally there's a gem or two within them.

                        3: Pre-clearance/CSI, another popular choice for movement. Essentially you sign up for a 2-5 year gig either overseas or in Canada and when you come back you pretty much get your choice of port(s) to which you're willing to return.

                        4: Transfers, rare...extremely rare. Basically, you ask your port to release you to another port, who is willing to pick you up. Occasionally, they happen...but not often and not for most Officers in most circumstances.
                        Sound like what we do at TSA..job swaps are easy...you post something on the TSA website where you want to go, and then someone who is interested can post or email you, then y'all just swap..so there isn't a loss...Transfers here are way harder, sometimes impossible...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by kearney3 View Post
                          I hope that that is not the case. I have been waiting in TSU for East Texas since 4/10/09.
                          You know what? let me ask him again and make sure its not 09 instead of 08, because that does sound off...it sounds more logical if it was 09, because that would be right around your TSU date...I'll talk to him after this weekend...now I'm curious..but I do know he said he tested 3 yrs ago..

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                            I would never turn down the call. You never know when it's going to come back around, it may be a very long time.
                            But that's just me.
                            I agree, I heard if you turn down the call, you might as well forget it, because they already invested a lot of money into you as an pre-employment applicant, that they dont want to waste anymore...so they may not consider you again...just what I heard, how accurate, I dont know, but that's what I've been told, so that scared me to the point that and I'm saying yes to whatever, even if it's caca town!...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                              There's been a lot of posts lately regarding the TSU. What about after you get done with FLETC. How long have the wait times been after you got done with FLETC before you were contacted for deployment?

                              If I understood the FAQs correctly on the CBP website, once you get done with training there's another undefined waiting period for the deployment notice or phone call.
                              WHAT? are you kidding me? Yeah, I would like to know the answer to this question as well...because are you getting payed while you wait for deployment? ( and do you mean deployed to your duty station?)Because that would not be so bad, that way you can prepare for your move, if your moving, and getting payed..to basically recoup.

                              Comment


                              • Merlin, If you are in TSU waiting for more than one specific location and you get the call with an offer for a location you least prefer. Do you recommend to ask TSU if you can wait for the location you really want?

                                Thanks

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9547 users online. 404 members and 9143 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X