Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps you're right, I may have misread AS's post. Whoops!

Looking back at my posts...I detect a certain hint of bitterness, which wasn't intended. I like my job. There are many positives to working in ND. Racking in the cash, work experience and excitement really are not among them though.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPSDJohn
      "Also, does anyone know if CBP issues me all the utilties that I have to wear on my belt after I start my new position (i.e. handcuffs, gun,etc) or do I have to purchase all that stuff on my own?"

I believe Amoured Saint was answering the above question. Anyway, yes you will be issued your duty gear such as firearm, belt, holster, handcuffs, baton, OC spray, keepers, etc. Things you might want to buy yourself- a good flashlight and a good duty knife, but you'll have plenty of time for those. Enjoy your time at FLETC, pay attention, work with your classmates as a team, don't stress out and you'll do fine. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply, I was not sure if Amoured Saint was answering my question or not.
      Another question I have is let's say I get a final offer letter at the GS5 level. When I look at the paycharts, there are more than one GS5 pay level (i.e. GS5-1, GS5-2, GS5-3, and so on) what does the "-1 or -2" part mean?
      When I start the job, should I expect to start at the GS5-1 level or is there a possiblity that I could start at the GS5-5 level?
      How does one get to the GS5-2 level or higher?
      GS5-1's do not make a lot so I'm trying to plan ahead now.

Comment

• "Another question I have is let's say I get a final offer letter at the GS5 level. When I look at the paycharts, there are more than one GS5 pay level (i.e. GS5-1, GS5-2, GS5-3, and so on) what does the "-1 or -2" part mean?
        When I start the job, should I expect to start at the GS5-1 level or is there a possiblity that I could start at the GS5-5 level?
        How does one get to the GS5-2 level or higher?
        GS5-1's do not make a lot so I'm trying to plan ahead now."

Normally if you are hired at GS 5, you will be a GS 5 step 1. One year from when you are hired or Enter on Duty (EOD), you will become GS 7 step 1, one year from that, GS 9 step 1 and one year after that, GS 11 step 1. At GS 11 you stop automatic GS raises however you get annual step increases such as GS 11 step 2, 3, etc. or until you take a competitive test to Supervisor GS 12 or Chief GS 13. The above are normal, however there are exceptions. Other things you have to look at are your locality pay, which is different for different parts of the country, shift differential which is extra 15% of base pay for swing shift and 20% for graveyard shift, Sunday premium pay which is an extra 50% and OT, which is double time. We have a $35,000 cap on OT. Depending on where you work, you may see little OT or like we are on the southern border, many people capping out on OT. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Comment

• What kind of Math is on the test?...Is it like Algebra and/or basic stuff?

Comment

• Normally if you are hired at GS 5, you will be a GS 5 step 1. One year from when you are hired or Enter on Duty (EOD), you will become GS 7 step 1, one year from that, GS 9 step 1 and one year after that, GS 11 step 1. At GS 11 you stop automatic GS raises however you get annual step increases such as GS 11 step 2, 3, etc. or until you take a competitive test to Supervisor GS 12 or Chief GS 13. The above are normal, however there are exceptions. Other things you have to look at are your locality pay, which is different for different parts of the country, shift differential which is extra 15% of base pay for swing shift and 20% for graveyard shift, Sunday premium pay which is an extra 50% and OT, which is double time. We have a $35,000 cap on OT. Depending on where you work, you may see little OT or like we are on the southern border, many people capping out on OT. Hope this helps, Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for breaking all of that down for me. That was very helpfull. While we are at it, I have another question.
            One of the docs that I had to sign was the Intern aknowledgement form. The form basicly said that I could be released 2 years after my EOD date. How likely is that to happen? To put it bluntly, I'm not a moron and I have had all my youth immaturaty out of my system for some time now. The reason I ask is because I have a family and a mortgagee that I am responsible for and I don't want to go all the way through this process to find out that after the 2 year internship is up, I am out of a job. I realize that you can't predict the future, however I was just looking for your opinion.

Comment

• Math test

Originally posted by SavRhiBri
              What kind of Math is on the test?...Is it like Algebra and/or basic stuff?

The math test covers basic math to basic algebra.
              There was a lot of compound questions where you are given multiple pieces of info that you combine to get a final answer. From what I remember, most of the questions were not as short as A+B=C type of questions.
              Before you take the written test, I would HIGHLY recommend taking the practice test that they send you in the mail.
              It gives you a very good idea of what to expect.
              Keep in mind that time is of the essence. I finished each test with only minutes to spare.
              If they don't send you the practice test in the mail, I would start searching for a copy of it on your own.

Comment

• How hard is the math part of the test?

I read the test guide it doesn't seem to be hard...just wonder how many questions related to math are there in the test
                ------------------------------------------------------
                The C.O song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xP3strmDw

Comment

• Originally posted by PJ06
                  How hard is the math part of the test?

I read the test guide it doesn't seem to be hard...just wonder how many questions related to math are there in the test

Don't quote me because I took the written test back in April of 2006 but I think that the math test was like 35-40 questions long.
                  as long as you are focused and not day dreaming during the test, you should be able to complete it with time to spare.
                  I did not think that the test was very hard at all but it was not very easy either. It just makes you think is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by jth1999
                    Don't quote me because I took the written test back in April of 2006 but I think that the math test was like 35-40 questions long.
                    as long as you are focused and not day dreaming during the test, you should be able to complete it with time to spare.
                    I did not think that the test was very hard at all but it was not very easy either. It just makes you think is all.
                    Thanks for the info
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    The C.O song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xP3strmDw

Comment

• .....Ditto.

Comment

• Does anyone know if it's possible to change the locations we select in our initial internet application? I put down three locations that I'd accept for CBP, but I'd like to change one of them.

A lot of you are further in the process than I. I go to San Antonio to take the test on Tuesday. I don't know why they don't have one closer to Houston.

Thanks and good luck to all....

Robert

Comment

• bump bump

Comment

• Originally posted by SHSURobert
                            Does anyone know if it's possible to change the locations we select in our initial internet application? I put down three locations that I'd accept for CBP, but I'd like to change one of them.

A lot of you are further in the process than I. I go to San Antonio to take the test on Tuesday. I don't know why they don't have one closer to Houston.

Thanks and good luck to all....

Robert

R.

I don't think you can change them now...but it really doesn't matter at this point anyway. After you test and you recieve your NOR(notice of results), there's a number on the back to call and change locations, phone numbers and the like.

Comment

• Thanks for the info.

Comment

• CBPO Test Results?

I just took the entry level CBP Officer test today. I didn't think that the test was too difficult. I was wondering if someone could tell me how long it usually takes before you get your results back from the test? Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10870 users online. 473 members and 10397 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X