300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
    When you were in the Army, you witnessed the short comings of a Direct Gas Impingement system, not the failings of a carbine or 5.56. The new piston system is already superior, but it will take years to replace with.

The military has stayed with the 5.56 because it's an effective round that is light weight, fast, and very accurate.

Your just spewing out lots of mis-information and urban legends with no real data in your posts.

Fail
    But the gas system is part of the carbine I was using. So the carbine failed. I am no weapons expert, that was not my mos. I don't have any data, I did not know I needed any for this conversation. I do have experience with the weapon. I know many other soldiers who have the same complaints, I know this problem has been put in front of congress recently. When I was in Iraq the weapon jammed, would not effectively shoot through doors, walls, etc... And on more than one occasion, the weapon did not have the stopping power I would have liked. It is light weight; it is fast, travels faster than the enemies 7.62, but it does not have the stopping power, seen it with my own eyes. It should not take 2, 3, shots. Most times, you only have the one chance. It should be center mass, one shot. Like we were trained. For years I thought the weapon was great, worked great on the range and in training. Then I went to war with it and my perspective changed.
    sorry for turning the post into a gun forum, but when the other posts mentioned the carbine, I had to chime in with my two cents. this was my last gun post.

There are some great articles on the internet about the m-4 & m16. For years the army times has written about the issue. Many, many soldiers in todays military have problems with the weapon.
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/atCarbine070219/
    Last edited by ifoCBP; 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• The few hours I spoke of for Shotgun and rifle training will not make you an expert, it will familiarize you with the weapon system. Our Qualification courses on both weapons are not designed for long range (unless you call 25 yards long range) work. The targets are the same as the pistol qualification. Like everything else (run tests ect) firearms qualification has a minimum standard only for record keeping, does not mean that is where you quit at, just where you have to push past.
      Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
        But the gas system is part of the carbine I was using. So the carbine failed. I am no weapons expert, that was not my mos. I don't have any data, I did not know I needed any for this conversation. I do have experience with the weapon. I know many other soldiers who have the same complaints, I know this problem has been put in front of congress recently. When I was in Iraq the weapon jammed, would not effectively shoot through doors, walls, etc... And on more than one occasion, the weapon did not have the stopping power I would have liked. It is light weight; it is fast, travels faster than the enemies 7.62, but it does not have the stopping power, seen it with my own eyes. It should not take 2, 3, shots. Most times, you only have the one chance. It should be center mass, one shot. Like we were trained. For years I thought the weapon was great, worked great on the range and in training. Then I went to war with it and my perspective changed.
        sorry for turning the post into a gun forum, but when the other posts mentioned the carbine, I had to chime in with my two cents. this was my last gun post.

There are some great articles on the internet about the m-4 & m16. For years the army times has written about the issue. Many, many soldiers in todays military have problems with the weapon.
        http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/atCarbine070219/
        You know, I didn't mean to come across as insulting in my post, but I did, sorry. I wrote that 10 minutes after waking up and I was a grumpy bear.

But I'll say the weapon problems, ie stove pipes, double feeds and so on are more of a fault of worn out parts and faulty maintenance then poor design. I think the M-4 design will be the standard, especially for small rifle caliber carbines for years, especially with to the gas piston system.

There are some comparisons out there between the 7.62x39 (AK round) and the 5.56 and really there isn't much of a difference in the Ft Lbs of force, especially when you compare the amount of ammo you can carry at a weight advantage.

I'll admit that the 6.7 and 6.8 are far better rounds with little weight increase (a 6.8spc basically is a .270 for those hunters out there).

But I don't think any major changes will occur because the mil has all but refused to change, at least for the year future. And if the mil doesn't like it, there won't be any major increases in production or decrease in ammo prices. Any one checked any of the 6.something ammo prices?

Give me a .50 Beowulf, that'll stop em.

So back to topic.

Comment

• These are some long and boring paragraphs about weapons. Can we start a separate forum- dudes that talk about weapons-

Comment

• Originally posted by drcapp View Post
            These are some long and boring paragraphs about weapons. Can we start a separate forum- dudes that talk about weapons-

+ 1

zzzzzz......

Comment

• Originally posted by Beecy View Post
              + 1

zzzzzz......
              Awesome.
              I think the no calls and being pulled from TSU to re test has some of us reaching to chat about anything but no calls and re testing.
              sorry.

Comment

These are some long and boring paragraphs about weapons. Can we start a separate forum- dudes that talk about weapons-

Word! There is enough gun snobbery in the firearms section.

Comment

HAHAHA man that pic has me cracking up!!!
                  TO-6/16/08
                  TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
                    16:54??????

You need to run 13:08 in PA for the municipal academies just to get in! Your graduation time needs to be around sub-11 times. I don't know about the time you stated..... PA is tough.......
                    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

Go to physical readiness tests adobe document and open it up. You'll see the entry and graduation requirements. They're kind of... well... I'll let you decide, ha.

Comment

Haters!

Comment

• Anyone else get contacted (for any part of the process; TO, TSU, EOD..) for the San Diego sector?
                        Timelines:

CBPO
                        App: 2/12/09
                        Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                        Written: 2/20/09
                        NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                        TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                        App: 5/5/09
                        Geo: San Diego
                        Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                        NOR: 7/20/09
                        Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                        TO: 10/6/09
                        Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                        Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                        Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                        App: 8/17/10
                        Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                        TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sytes View Post
                          CBPO's are not exempt from ag responsibilities... Heck, it is AMAZING how many hats we wear. From EPA to DOT. IMO, AG is an important aspect of our responsibility though I do agree... The core fundamentals - the comfort of public communication with the specific intent of identifying truth over lies... white lies.. etc is the KEY #1 function of our job. This in turn should be the KEY #1 focus of training... along with understanding the common visa's / Custom fundamentals.

I agree that it would benefit to cater towards specific port settings in training - Though, to split up a class any further than an A and a B group would pose more problems than success - least IMO.
                          I'll agree that the academy will never be broken down. I also want to say out of the last 100 Ag actions at my port, AT-CET discovered about 40 of the violations. Of these actions about the only thing that we needed to know from the academy was if it wiggles grab it and give it to Ag. All of the activities were bugs.

The last time I used anything remotely concerning immigration from the academy was when I was loaned to another port for a cruise ship almost a year ago. Other than that I look at cargo all day. At my port we do not get to have much interaction with the traveling public. In my environment I need to be able to look at manifests and find suspicious entries. I need to be able to determine trade act violations. I need to be able to find anomalies on x-ray and other NII equipment. These topics were briefly covered in the academy, some were just thrown in as an interesting side note. I also need to be able to enter and clear a ship. That was covered in about an hour at the academy, mostly as a side note for air crew processing. My point is the academy was set up for airport passenger processing, with the land border processing as an add on. Very little was covered for seaport operations and almost nothing was provided for cargo processing. By splitting the academy up a little more. Time could be alloted for for more land border processing and defiantly more seaport operations. But it will never happen.
                          Last edited by kc12; 09-09-2009, 10:31 AM.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post

Haters!

+1. That's freakin hilarious def got me laughing
                            TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• Sorry double post
                              Last edited by TX54; 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM.
                              TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• I took my physical yesterday and i failed the step test. I was so worried about the push ups and sit ups that i did not even think about the step. any ways my question was they told me at the doctors office that i would get another chance does anyone know how long before i have my second chance.

CBPO
                                Test Date: 9-18-07
                                Re-Registered: 7-7-08
                                Pre appointment package: 3-23-09
                                Drug Test: 4-2-09
                                Medical: Pending
                                Physical: Pending
                                VTB: 4-19-09
                                BI: Meet with investigator 6-29-09

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10630 users online. 422 members and 10208 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X