Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SDCBP View Post
    To anyone currently attending FLETC,

What is the 1.5 mile require time as of right now? Do you know if FLETC is still planning to change the run to 15 minutes on Oct 1st?
    Yeah they still planning on changing the run to 15 minutes. There also planning on addining pushups and a 200 yard sprint that you have to complete in under 45 seconds i believe.

There's going to be alot of changes around here starting Oct 1st, and our instructor told us we're lucky to be leaving in october cause there going to be making cbp march in formation and a bunch of other stuff and they plan on extending the time here from 16 weeks to 20 to 24 weeks. Guess they're going to try to make it more military style.

Comment

• Originally posted by colby1122 View Post
      Yeah they still planning on changing the run to 15 minutes. There also planning on addining pushups and a 200 yard sprint that you have to complete in under 45 seconds i believe.

There's going to be alot of changes around here starting Oct 1st, and our instructor told us we're lucky to be leaving in october cause there going to be making cbp march in formation and a bunch of other stuff and they plan on extending the time here from 16 weeks to 20 to 24 weeks. Guess they're going to try to make it more military style.
      Nothing wrong with more military like and luckily I have already had my marching classes. If extended, it is going to be adding more LE type training (Driving, shotgun, etc) I imagine that those who do not have that training will be required to pick it up some where. Just to put some perspective on the run thing, I was looking at the local PD lateral requirements. Min 75% on all events. 75% on the 1.5 miles is around 13 minutes.
      CBPO East Texas
      TO: 3/3/09
      Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
      Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
      Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
      VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
      Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
      Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
      BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
      TSU: 8/27/09
      FCRA: 05/19/10
      BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Driving / Shotgun are seperate training mods - last I heard. I have "heard" it will run 22 weeks. Some adjustments to the current PEB requirements. The CBP coordinators / instructors have been going through the formation training in July - August.
        Hopefully they use some of the time to enable more questioning / professionalism labs as this is more or less 80% of our job and additional safety and survival labs. What they have is great... though unfortunately, if you made errors - there was not another lab to repeat what was learned - basically grasping onto what you hopefully understood verbally to GOD forbid have such action take place. IMO, better to have some founded body response for "cover" - commands, backup calls... etc.
        The training was very useful though even the instructors expressed concern for having only 1 session w/o any repeats. Hopefully this is in the "change" and use for the additional 6 weeks.
        I personally think the could cut back on some of the time as many courses were conducted in short order and pending on the coordinator, either the lesson plan (power point) was sttttrreeeetttcccchhhhedd to fill in the time... or floating time. I.E. covering 2 non immigrant classifications for a 2 hr period... That can be done in 15-30minutes. Maybe refine the time to 4 weeks more to enable additional training - clear some defined PE training from AT / DT type activity.
        Just my two coppers.
        Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Yeah seems like all the local PDs are at 15 and under. When i went to the academy here it was 13:15 minimum, and most of us came in at around
          11:30s. Lets see what to expect come Oct1st....
          TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

Man, that's a long time. If you have to learn Spanish add on another six weeks. 30 weeks. That's over 7 months.

Comment

I was under the impression that the sprint run was 220 yrds in 45 seconds?

Comment

• TX54,

Lets see what to expect come Oct. 1st....

1.5 Miles run under fifteen minutes and you qualify.
                Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• If you're a guy, under 60 and you have any sort of running ability whatsoever, you ought to be running the 1.5 mile in well less than 15 minutes anyway.

I just don't understand how people look at the minimum run-time and see it as a meaningful standard. It's not. It's weak. Especially for males...especially for males under 40.

Think of it this way...

Would you be happy working this job for minimum wage?

Would you gladly eat at a restaurant that just meets minimum cleanliness and health standards?

Would you see a dentist who just meets minimum standards on the dental work he puts in your mouth?

When your kid comes home from school and shows you his report card full of D minuses and/or other minimum passing grades, are you happy and satisfied because your kid meets the minimum educational standards?

Comment

• 157 days in TSU for SF/OAK and I just found out I was pulled out for medical and to re test for physical.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                      Hopefully they add some carbine training.
                      Why? so they could push the training out another 4 weeks for a weapon you will never use. Carbines are a pain to keep clean and they jam. Unless I am on a battlefield, I would rather have a shot gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        If you're a guy, under 60 and you have any sort of running ability whatsoever, you ought to be running the 1.5 mile in well less than 15 minutes anyway.

I just don't understand how people look at the minimum run-time and see it as a meaningful standard. It's not. It's weak. Especially for males...especially for males under 40.

Think of it this way...

Would you be happy working this job for minimum wage?

Would you gladly eat at a restaurant that just meets minimum cleanliness and health standards?

Would you see a dentist who just meets minimum standards on the dental work he puts in your mouth?

When your kid comes home from school and shows you his report card full of D minuses and/or other minimum passing grades, are you happy and satisfied because your kid meets the minimum educational standards?
                        That’s not a fair comparison. The fitness standards are only one part of FLETC.
                        It would not be a report card full of D minuses, it would be a D minus in PE. If your child came home with A’s in math, english and science and a D minus in PE would you be happy that your kid met the minimum standards in PE and the answer is no.
                        I am no advocate for meeting the minimum standards, but it is the standard set by CBP.
                        Last edited by ifoCBP; 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Here in San Diego the course of fire has been set for having an qualing with an AR style rifle in our chase cars....so ive heard.
                          What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• This training had been left to the ports. Some would not see the use, where others did the training. Adding it to the Basic course ensures that everyone has the training. It would not add more than a few hours even with carbine training.
                            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• PT Standards

I think it's amazing to see all the differences between the states' physical fitness requirements for law enforcement jobs. I live in New York where you have to run at least a 12:29 if you're a male under 30 years of age just to be qualified for an academy. Then you have to run under a 11:50 - 10:43 mins depending on what academy you attend. So when I hear... "13:00 mins!" I seriously want to laugh. And I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or a fitness guru... but that extra 2 - 3 mins is a LOT. I can't imagine having 16:30 mins to run a mile and a half.

But then there are PD's like the Pennsylvania State Police where you need to be under a 16:54 to pass the mile and a half run. That's almost funny. However, they're probably one of the hardest academies on the east coast and their recruits are well below the 17:00 min mark before graduation! (My brother is a PA Trooper so I know this second hand).

Anyways, I think it's crazy how these PT test standards run. It's interesting but crazy. I wonder if any PD's require pull ups? Or the sit and reach? I hate the sit and reach!! Enough rambling. Just wanted to vent after reading about everyone worked up about the run.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                                That’s not a fair comparison. The fitness standards are only one part of FLETC.
                                It would not be a report card full D minuses, it would be a D minus in PE. If your child came home with A’s in math, english and science and a D minus in PE would you be happy that your kid met the minimum standards in PE and the answer is no.
                                I am no advocate for meeting the minimum standards, but it is the standard set by CBP.
                                Right, this is a minimum standard, but the word "standard" is important. What does it matter if someone runs the 1.5 in 14:59? They might be smarter or more observant than the guy running laps around them. These arn't "minimums" they are minimum standards.

The fact is that Customs in certain areas is not running heavy. 15 min 1.5's will cut it on the off chance that we have to chase somebody down at an airport. Different ports require different levels of fitness, but I don't understand the elitism on this topic, other than as a dink measuring contest.

Yes, I can run the 1.5 in under 15, do over 40 pushups at a time and do 10 slow pull-ups before somebody tries to insinuate that I'm a couch potato myself.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7095 users online. 204 members and 6891 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X