300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Hi every one, I have not posted for 2 months but I have not missed one page. Sorry if I missed it before, but what is COPRA?

130 Days in TSU for Miami.

Thanks

COPRA = Customs Officers Pay Reform Act.

It's the agreement that gives us (CBPO's) 2X overtime and our differentials...
    (50% Sunday, 20% midnights, 15% evening pay)

Comment

• Thanks Merlin

Comment

• only way losing COPRA is a good thing.. is full LEO retirement coverage.. and making the position GL Pay instead....

cus only time and a half... for those extra 2-3 hours of stamping... not good.

Comment

• What would full "LEO" retirement give us that we don't already have under our current "enhanced" retirement? I mean, there are a few additional perks if one is a "LEO"...but as far as the money goes, it's identical.

GL pay would be nice for new hires and those fairly new, but it means squat to anybody who's a GS-11.

25% AUO, if it was essentially a "given", like in the Border Patrol, would be a benefit to lots of people. It moderates paychecks; no more huge paychecks during times of lots of OT followed by tiny checks when OT dries up. Everybody works "50 hour weeks"...everybody gets paid for "50 hour weeks". Also, for those folks not making 25% extra in OT earnings in a year, AUO pretty much guarantees the extra 25%...which could mean quite a bit of extra money...both in terms of current pay and retirement, as AUO counts towards retirement. In my case, 25% AUO would probably see me gain roughly $8500 each year. That's both in terms of total salary in a year and wages applicable towards my retirement.
          Last edited by merlin436; 09-05-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrangler81 View Post
            only way losing COPRA is a good thing.. is full LEO retirement coverage.. and making the position GL Pay instead....

cus only time and a half... for those extra 2-3 hours of stamping... not good.
            As a pile on to Merlin's post. Our enhanced retirement is better than the "normal" 12(d)/6(c) retirement. As he said, GL pay stops at GS-10 so it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference for most of us.

Giving us AUO or LEAP is good for management but bad for us (this is port dependent and an opinion). The reason is if your just interested in the bottom line of what your paycheck is then it is a good thing. If your interested in how much you work and how much you get paid per hour, than it is a bad thing. You work at least an extra 25% for an extra 25% in pay. If you already work those hours you are taking a pay cut (COPRA would give you 20 hours pay AUO only gives you 10 hours pay). If you don't work the 10 hours per week O/T, but your PD decides you will now work the extra 25% you are getting more money, but you are also working more hours and not getting 1.5x, or even the COPRA mandated 2x, pay.

Personally I fall into the, "I don't care how many hours I work" category. If I work 12, 10, 8 or even 1 or 2 hours my day is shot. I had to take the time to get dressed, get in the mind set, drive to the office, work, drive home, then unwind. In all it is about at three or four hour ordeal for an hours worth of work. Sign me up for 10 hours per day and AUO. I also work at an awesome port where the management doesn't try to screw us at every turn. They seem to try to bend over backward to keep us happy. We had a person come from a "bad" leadership port recently and he started complaining about some of the things management does (the person did admit that the work conditions were very good at their new port, though). It was pointed out that there is a give and take to the bad stuff management does. Some of the good things we get in return, far outweigh the messed up things management does.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• I think LEAP may be better than AUO, and would fit with the current retirement calculations better than AUO does. I cannot find any info on this "review" of COPRA where do you get this info if you do not mind my asking?
              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Just FYI info I found from page 6 related to pay;

Originally posted by CBPSDJohn View Post

Normally if you are hired at GS 5, you will be a GS 5 step 1. One year from when you are hired or Enter on Duty (EOD), you will become GS 7 step 1, one year from that, GS 9 step 1 and one year after that, GS 11 step 1. At GS 11 you stop automatic GS raises however you get annual step increases such as GS 11 step 2, 3, etc. or until you take a competitive test to Supervisor GS 12 or Chief GS 13. The above are normal, however there are exceptions. Other things you have to look at are your locality pay, which is different for different parts of the country, shift differential which is extra 15% of base pay for swing shift and 20% for graveyard shift, Sunday premium pay which is an extra 50% and OT, which is double time. ***We have a $35,000 cap on OT***. Depending on where you work, you may see little OT or like we are on the southern border, many people capping out on OT. Hope this helps, Good Luck.
                Hope it helps..
                Timelines:

CBPO
                App: 2/12/09
                Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                Written: 2/20/09
                NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                App: 5/5/09
                Geo: San Diego
                Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                NOR: 7/20/09
                Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                TO: 10/6/09
                Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                App: 8/17/10
                Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                  I think LEAP may be better than AUO, and would fit with the current retirement calculations better than AUO does. I cannot find any info on this "review" of COPRA where do you get this info if you do not mind my asking?
                  It was included with an email from the union. (national).

Comment

• I have been with the govt for 8 years now, and as seeing that I too have gotten the famous email- that says alot to me, as i know the govt works slow-im wondering how long ago they were planning to send that email out, im thinking last year and just now pressed the sent button for us. With that being said- and already having in mind that im not gonna put my life on hold for them to call me regarding an EOD for me the email was the added push for me to put the CBP on the backburner. I have already started to look for other local PDs and such to put me in the hat for a position around here. The way i see it is what ever offer comes im taking it- ive learned this the hard way before that sometimes other opportunities will come some you will pass and theres some that you regret passing. Guess why im typing this is im really starting to see from all the TSU dates and how this process goes, im not gonna sit here twittling my thumbs when i can better my chances of another LEO job around here.
                    TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• Is that true about the promotion rate from GS-5 to GS-7 to GS-9 and then GS-11 being around one year? I thought you moved up from step to step before moving up a grade.
                      TSU- 07/14/09
                      location- Minneapolis

Comment

• What really ticks me off is the wasted federal tax dollars. I've heard that each applicant by the time they've gone through to TSU has cost the government 5 or 6k. This is not including the added applicants who will now be doing half of the things over again due to the extreme amount of time.

This is real money that you and I are paying here. They need to reform their hiring system.
                        CBPO
                        GEO - NY/JFK
                        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                        PE Forms - Completed
                        Fitness - Completed
                        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                        Drug Screen - Completed
                        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                        TSU

EOD: ???
                        FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                          If your interested in how much you work and how much you get paid per hour, than it is a bad thing. You work at least an extra 25% for an extra 25% in pay. If you already work those hours you are taking a pay cut (COPRA would give you 20 hours pay AUO only gives you 10 hours pay). If you don't work the 10 hours per week O/T, but your PD decides you will now work the extra 25% you are getting more money, but you are also working more hours and not getting 1.5x, or even the COPRA mandated 2x, pay.

COPRA is the best plan for a large southern border port and I don't see it going away. We work a ton of overtime. The primary issue is the amount of mandated overtime that is required to staff the ports on a daily basis. Management staffing practices call for a predictable number of additional officers they'll need (in addition to volunteers who sign up in advance) for each shift. At a port like SYS, days and swings routinely require 10 to 15 additional bodies. Given that expectation, you have 9s and 11s hitting $17.5 around Feb. Most 11s can get and remain negative after that, but definitely not the 5s and 7s. They start catching up by summer time but still remain the draft *******. I averaged 24-32 hrs a pp for the first half of the yr, hitting 48 hrs a couple times. I'm on cruise control now but it all starts again next month. Bottom line is everybody is forced to work OT and it's better to get paid 2X for it.
                          ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• DCH, I am very familiar with the operation of COPRA. I am wondering the source of information that it is being reviewed for replacement. I have searched Thomas, and find no hearings scheduled. There is nothing on the Union site that I can find, just want to know the source of the info.
                            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Huge government job growth ahead
                              Posted Sep 03 2009, 11:08 AM by Kim Peterson Rating: Filed under: Kim PetersonThe Obama administration is taking on so many issues -- out of ambition or necessity -- that it must hire 270,000 over the next three years for critical jobs, the Washington Post reported.

The jobs fall into five main categories: medical, security, law enforcement, legal and administrative. And they are needed as the government tackles everything from climate change to financial recovery to fighting two wars. A think tank came up with the jobs total after studying 35 federal agencies.

Bing: How to get a federal job

If you include all jobs -- not just the "mission-critical" ones -- the government will have to hire some 600,000 people during the four years of President Obama's term. That would bump up the current workforce by a third.

Is this crazy, or simply a result of these unusual times? The Post reports that the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are resulting in major expansion at the Department of Veterans Affairs. That department will need to hire 48,000 in the next three years, including 19,000 nurses and 8,500 doctors.

The Department of Homeland Security is also planning to hire big numbers.
                              MSN Money Article

Yeah right!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tsawille View Post
                                Is that true about the promotion rate from GS-5 to GS-7 to GS-9 and then GS-11 being around one year? I thought you moved up from step to step before moving up a grade.
                                One year for grade promotion until you reach an 11, then you move through the steps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6892 users online. 181 members and 6711 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X