300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by delvalle242 View Post
    Firebug I honestly did not know Merlin was a sworn CBPO. I guess he himself can give us much more light into the matter of how things are on the job. Don't get me wrong I'm not telling knowone what is or what is not a risky job, its just what I think. My facts come from sworn CBPO and BPA friends of mine that are already on the job and has shared their experiences. That is why I have come to that conclusion.
    I'll say one thing...you've got spunk. Generally, that's a positive characteristic.

Since you're apparently heading to Laredo...and since Bigdawgdaddy is about tonight and he has experience in Laredo, maybe you ought to ask him about how wise it is walking about on the Texas-Mexico line(or anywhere else for that matter) thinking your job is "low risk" compared to a PA's.

Mer.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
      Boricua!...
      You just joined the Forum and you are trying too hard to prove your point or point of view. We have all been the FNG, but more than half, actually take the time to read previous posts from the past to learn. Mi consejo, quedate en la eaquina, lee y escucha!
      There are a few CBPO's like Merlin and KC12 that frequently help us applicants, and if you would've taken the time to read the thread, you would've known this. The post that initiated all of this debate, frankly, looked like an ignorant one (with very little thought behind it) to be honest. The experiences from the CBPO's and BPA's that you have heard about in PR are not the same as everywhere else on the main land.

There are a few of us that have been in the process for a very long time as well, and have come across many bumps on the road, and we are still waiting... In the meantime we gather here to share knowledge and to help each other out throughout the process. Quit trying to make your case, you have failed on that front, now please take your place in line and if you actually have something that will benefit others please share...

Did not want to have a say about this to a fellow "islander" but man... you keep going at it, let it go!
      Boricua!!! You reminded me of a good friend I have who said those exact words: "you keep going at it, let it go!". Honestly I wasn't making a case just speaking what I had to say but I'll stay in the corner, read and listen. Thanks for the advice boricua. By the way where are you from on the island, "islander"?

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        I'll say one thing...you've got spunk. Generally, that's a positive characteristic.

Since you're apparently heading to Laredo...and since Bigdawgdaddy is about tonight and he has experience in Laredo, maybe you ought to ask him about how wise it is walking about on the Texas-Mexico line(or anywhere else for that matter) thinking your job is "low risk" compared to a PA's.

Mer.
        Thanks for the info Mer. I'll ask Bigdawgdaddy about his expo in Laredo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExRebel View Post
          Just curious where you heard that they're gonna be hiring between 4 and 10 people every Monday?
          From the people that did all the paper work on our first day, In fact today we got 5 more people today at pre academy fro Class 971 that starts Sept 16th.

Also they had told us that since Jan they have hired about 150 people for the SW area, that was before the 7 of us that started on teh 17th. So yeah, they are hiring big time for the El Paso area.

Also we are to expect almost alot of OT as soon as we get started after the academy, that is how busy it is in El Paso. alot of officers here are pulling 16 hr ordered days almost 5 days a week.....
          Last edited by Jperkins1021; 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM.
          CBPO
          Written: ~06-08
          T.O.: 3-09
          Pre-employment forms: 3-09 Completed
          Fitness: 4-09 Completed
          Medical: 4-09 Completed
          VBT: 3-09 Completed
          Drug test: 3-09 Completed
          Quals: 4-09 Completed
          B.I.: 08-06-09 Completed
          Geo Pref: SW - Texas/NM (Took El Paso, TX)
          TSU:08-07-09
          EOD:08-17-09
          FLETC:Sept 10 - Dec 30

"While watching you through the scope of my rifle, all I can say is: "You can run but you WILL die tired""

Comment

• Fletc

After you graduate FLETC, how much time do you have before reporting to your POE officially? Do you have a week or two to get things ready at home and prepare for a move before starting a career? Or are you expected to go right to your POE after completing FLETC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
              After you graduate FLETC, how much time do you have before reporting to your POE officially? Do you have a week or two to get things ready at home and prepare for a move before starting a career? Or are you expected to go right to your POE after completing FLETC?
              We were told that here on the SW border we report to work the day after we get back from the academy.... So that means we my class with graduate Dec 30th, fly back the 31st and being its the weekend we have to been that Monday. But then again it could be port specific.....
              CBPO
              Written: ~06-08
              T.O.: 3-09
              Pre-employment forms: 3-09 Completed
              Fitness: 4-09 Completed
              Medical: 4-09 Completed
              VBT: 3-09 Completed
              Drug test: 3-09 Completed
              Quals: 4-09 Completed
              B.I.: 08-06-09 Completed
              Geo Pref: SW - Texas/NM (Took El Paso, TX)
              TSU:08-07-09
              EOD:08-17-09
              FLETC:Sept 10 - Dec 30

"While watching you through the scope of my rifle, all I can say is: "You can run but you WILL die tired""

Comment

• Originally posted by delvalle242 View Post
                Boricua!!! You reminded me of a good friend I have who said those exact words: "you keep going at it, let it go!". Honestly I wasn't making a case just speaking what I had to say but I'll stay in the corner, read and listen. Thanks for the advice boricua. By the way where are you from on the island, "islander"?
                Guaynabo, moved to Miami in late 98' to go to FIU, then Orlando in late 03' for another school, then LA in 05' to look for work "in the movies"...
                I'll tell you this much though, you have no real idea of what you are coming to in Texas (or western US for that matter) from PR, it is so much different than the east coast. You will either HATE it, or simply learn to live with it, but I can guarantee you won't love it. PM me if you want to know...
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                  Started issuing them at FLETC about a month ago. Shipping is expensive, and we are trying to cut costs everywhere.

Of course, we both know that'll last just as long as it takes for the first newly graduated half-wit trainee to pull some stupid stunt in the airport, on a plane, or during the ride home...and then we'll be back to shipping them out to the ports again...same old, same old.

Comment

• lol.. c'mon merlin, what could possibly make a trainee pull a move like that???
                    Timelines:

CBPO
                    App: 2/12/09
                    Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                    Written: 2/20/09
                    NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                    TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                    App: 5/5/09
                    Geo: San Diego
                    Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                    NOR: 7/20/09
                    Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                    TO: 10/6/09
                    Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                    Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                    Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                    App: 8/17/10
                    Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                    TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

I would say it is Port specific, if you have a travel day back on Friday, you wouldn't have to report until Monday AM for our Port

Comment

I would say it is Port specific, if you have a travel day back on Friday, you wouldn't have to report until Monday AM for our Port

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
                          As others have stated it is port specific. I've heard of people assigned to places like Charleston, Savannah, or Jacksonville having to report first thing in the morning the next day. That would make sense, since you're only a couple hours away and you graduate early in the afternoon so you didn't really work a full 8 on graduation day. I also had a port director that was able to take a week off to drive to his port in California from Georgia. As you will find when you get to your port, the PD has a lot of say in how the job is done and sometimes it doesn't really mesh with the national policy. That is why there are waivers to the policy. Just remember, "Semper Gumby".
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• "Just remember, "Semper Gumby"."

Thats hilarious! I'm making Semper Gumby my new personal motto. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Of course, we both know that'll last just as long as it takes for the first newly graduated half-wit trainee to pull some stupid stunt in the airport, on a plane, or during the ride home...and then we'll be back to shipping them out to the ports again...same old, same old.
                              I'll put the over/under at 1 year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShowT1me78 View Post
                                Why did u switch? If u don't mind
                                I took the exam back in March of 08 and around Jan 09, I still havent heard anything, so I figured its because my score was low and I wanted to take the exam again. ( I didnt know it would transfer the score over ) and my stupid self thought WA was DC or something...sooo yeahh..stupid me...now, im just going to stick with it and get hired. My job here is unstable, people are getting laid off left and right. So I'll just take my chances going to WA and hope to transfer back to JFK few years down the line...
                                TSU - 8/28/09
                                TO - 3/2009
                                On the job

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10240 users online. 374 members and 9866 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X