300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kearney3 View Post
    It seems to me that so many people have applied for these jobs ie CBPO and BPA and they have no clue of what they are getting themselves in to. They have no clue on what the job is about, what the academy is like, even what their pay compensation is. There is more than enough information online and in the packets of paperwork that they send you, that if you're too lazy to read all of your forms, or go online and research the career that you are getting in to, then maybe you should be looking into another line of work. For the person comparing BPA to Customs because of "low risk" and the color of the uniform, maybe you should re think your career choice because any law enforcement job carries risk (do you think they give you the gun just for looks?) And believe me after a few months on the job you wont give a crap what color the uniform is! Yikes! I cant believe some of these people are serious! Oh and FYI depending upon the POE, many customs officers are forced to work over time, sometimes even double shifts, when BPA's usually have 2hrs of AUO (automatic uncontrollable overtime) so the average shift for a BPA is 10hrs. everyone has different prefrences and needs, but at least have your facts straight and know what you're getting in to before you waste space in line when someone who really wants the job for the right reasons and know what is involved could happily take your spot. (Just thought I would get that off my chest)
    Is this directed at me??? I sincerely hope not. I did the research and quoted it sir. I was trying to figure out why and how there is such a monumental difference in overtime pay. I hate to tell you but yes pay is an important factor in deciding a career. Also, you say, "when someone who really wants the job for the right reasons", what are the right reasons??? The ones that you deem appropriate? I have many reasons for wanting to be a cbpo other than pay, but thanks for already reading my mind and deciding I should not waste space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdlewis View Post
      I have read that BPA's only make 20% overtime compared to CBPO's 50%. Why is there this huge difference and will CBPO potentially go down to 20% under a new contract?

Huh?

I don't know what you've been reading but it's wrong...on both accounts.

PA and CBPO overtime and premium pay differences have been discussed numerous times on this and the PA thread. I suggest you research them.

Both CBPO's and BPA's have a chance to work OT up to(and in rare cases beyond) the 35K cap that currently exists. There are no givens for either position...and there are plenty of PA's who make far more than CBPO's.

Comment

• CBP page
        Careers
        Border Patrol
        Your Career as a Border Patrol Agent
        FAQs – Working for Border Patrol
        - 07/07/2009
        Pay and Benefits
        Q: Are Border Patrol Agents compensated for overtime work?
        A: Yes. Upon return to their official duty stations, after completion of training at the Academy, Agents may earn from 10% to 25% additional pay for the performance of extra duty time. Additionally, Agents also receive night deferential pay, Sunday pay and Holiday pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by kearney3 View Post
          For the person comparing BPA to Customs because of "low risk" and the color of the uniform, maybe you should re think your career choice because any law enforcement job carries risk (do you think they give you the gun just for looks?)
          +1

There is nobody gunning for PA's that would hesitate to gun for a CBPO.

Unless the discussion involves vehicle/boating accidents, you'll have nearly the same risks from the same criminals in either a blue or a green uniform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdlewis View Post
            I have read that BPA's only make 20% overtime compared to CBPO's 50%. Why is there this huge difference and will CBPO potentially go down to 20% under a new contract?

"Q: Are Border Patrol Agents compensated for overtime work?
            A: Yes. Upon return to their official duty stations, after completion of training at the Academy, Agents may earn from 10% to 25% additional pay for the performance of extra duty time. Additionally, Agents also receive night deferential pay, Sunday pay and Holiday pay (CBP website)."

If this is true BPA is certainly not the way to go. I applied for both but that's a huge difference.
            I don't know where you got that 20% figure since it says 25% in the quote from CBP.gov...

With my base pay plus 25% for AUO and FLSA, 45 Act OT, night dif, Sunday pay, cash awards, and holiday pay I made mid $80's as a 9 and will make mid $90's as an 11/1 this year.

But even more important for me than the pay is that I have the freedom to patrol. I chase drug smugglers and groups of aliens almost daily, on foot and in vehicles. I can sit in a bush and jump out on a group of aliens that run in 20 different directions, then track them all down one by one.

It comes down to job satisfaction and is more importmant than how much OT you might get somewhere else!

Comment

• You're correct I should have said 25%, but I'm not trying to debate this I'm just trying to figure out if both BPA and CBPO make the same overtime pay (percentage).
              Last edited by Jdlewis; 09-01-2009, 12:58 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Nope, they are completely different.

Comment

• CBPO's make 2X COPRA OT for any time worked during the day in excess of 8 hours and for any time worked in excess of 40 hours during the work week.

That's assuming you work more than "8 and the gate" or a 40 hour week.

Comment

• Then... you'd add in evening differential, night differential, Sunday differential, holiday pay, and cash awards...if you earn any.

Comment

• Which...depending on the port, the availability of OT and shift differentials and locality pay...likely means that a CBPO will make anything between 65K and 100K+ as an 11/1.

Comment

• 10-4 merlin, that's why I said its all about job satisfaction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jperkins1021 View Post
                          I was just hired on 08/17/2009 and go to FLETC on Sept 10th - Dec 30th... From my understanding, they are hiring between 4 and 10 people every Monday. We are supposed to get 10 more people tomorrow for Class 971
                          Just curious where you heard that they're gonna be hiring between 4 and 10 people every Monday?

Comment

• I was just wondering how difficult it is to become a supervisory CBP officer? Is it just offered once you top out at 11 or is it competetive? Do you know what the pay range is for supervisory positions? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckb88 View Post
                              I was just wondering how difficult it is to become a supervisory CBP officer? Is it just offered once you top out at 11 or is it competetive? Do you know what the pay range is for supervisory positions? Thanks
                              You take a supervisor's test and if you score high enough you apply for jobs as they are announced. A supervisor is a GS-12, and starts at about 65k per year.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jperkins1021 View Post
                                I was just hired on 08/17/2009 and go to FLETC on Sept 10th - Dec 30th... From my understanding, they are hiring between 4 and 10 people every Monday. We are supposed to get 10 more people tomorrow for Class 971
                                Congrats! I'm really hoping for someone on here to be one of the lucky 4-10 people called next.

I'll be looking forward to every Monday from now on...that's a first
                                "Veni, vidi, vici."

CBPO
                                TEST - 03/02/09
                                NOR - 03/05/09 (95%)
                                TO - 04/06/09
                                FORMS - 04/21/09
                                MED/FIT - 04/29/09
                                DRUG TEST - 05/05/09
                                QUALS - 05/12/09 (GS-5)
                                VBT - 05/21/09 passed 06/12/09
                                BI - Met 06/24/09 cleared 08/14/09
                                TSU - 08/14/09
                                The "Call" - 01/14/11
                                EOD - 02/07/11
                                FLETC - 02/23/11 - 06/28/11

BPA
                                TEST - 12/13/10
                                NOR - 12/20/10 (93%)

"Find something you would be willing to die for and live for that."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7699 users online. 168 members and 7531 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X