300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TXCBP View Post
    I've been waiting so long, I can't remember if I'm waiting for East TEXAS or SE TEXAS, ultimately I'm hoping to stay in Houston, but I'm just ready to go to any other city around here. I've been in TSU since 12-01-08. Where are you hoping to get stationed?

The Dallas area would be my first choice and then Austin my second choice. I was told by the recruiter that I would most likely get Dallas or Houston but who knows. I live in the DFW area but I am currently stationed in El Paso working for Border Patrol. I didnt even know that there was a choice of SE Texas or East Texas. I know my geo pref included Houston as one of the cities. I really hope that I am not in TSU for that long.
    Geo Preference: East Texas
    TSU: 4/10/2009

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hunt the Jackel;1939546]
      Originally posted by Sytes View Post
      The PTD at FLETC for CBP is still a royal joke... All other dept's seem to be a max of 13min.
      I don't really know if Boppers really do any running...
      Other than that, there is IRS CI's though I would venture to guess even they ar earound 13min max.

CBP - is 16.5min per 1.5 miles

At one point they made a decent stink about operating on the same level as BP... though as discovered here - that is a joke as well as they intend to drop it down to 15min for 1.5 miles believed to start around the beginning of oct.
      Originally it was to start July 1st. Didn't happen. They aggressively stated we would be in formation constantly (as US Uniformed Police, ICE, Marshals, etc... that didn't happen either.
      What did happen? Well, CBP MUST wear a cbp hat when outside. CBP must not have a cell phone in their backpack -etc between 7:30am - 4:30pm.
      I suppose for CBP - those are big steps. To be honest - heard the most complaining from the Coordinators / instructors on required to wear their "unique looking" hats outside.
      If it goes as planned - Starting Oct, 1st - there may be formation drills and stricter PTD evaluations.

A COUPLE OF THINGS ! Of course you realize the AVERAGE person who joins CBP has no interest in being a Law Enforcement Officer . As they have stated here over and over. Check back over the posts . My favorite the ones where they talk about stamping all day over a Police or Law Enforcement job ! I posted the one about stamping on other boards ! CBP IS the laughing stock of law enforcement. We have enough trouble trying to make these clowns carry loaded guns LOL ! They do not want to be sprayed OC or trained phisically in any way. So finally some physical standards AMEN . As for running the 1.5 in 15. All physical tests are subjective. Many people can fly through a 1.5 mile. But asks them to do 30 push ups no time limit forget it . And a lot of Agencys are finally getting that. You will see a lot of Agencys with a 1.5 run 15 to 19 minutes.With no sex or age norming . But push up sit ups etc . MUCH more accurate and fair. Check the Flordia PAT . Again No age norming no sex norming. But more real like . Running firing a gun jumping etc. I `ll repaste the famous YOU WILL GET NO BACK UP FROM MOST CBPOS if something happens post ! I AM glad your aboard CHANGE comes slowly . I don`t think we will become much of anything in the next 20 years . However if we can ever merge with BP and start rotating things will change. Of course they do not want it. And 99.9 % of CBPOS are fighting any change of turning us from TSA with guns to doing real work. Keep in mind most work at airports which is a total joke . Land boarders are mostly running a lane. Searching a dirty car ala TSA or doing immigration work that a GS 4 could do.
      Not that i am completely disagreeing with you, but just for the sake of fairness take a scroll through a few pages of these pictures. Not exactly a picture of what CBP should be envious of or trying to copy:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...title&resnum=1

Comment

• [QUOTE=DirtStyx;1938673]
        Originally posted by Firebug View Post
        M E M O R A N D U M
        By chapter presidents’ memorandum dated March 4, 2009, you were informed that CBP would be implementing new physical fitness graduation standards (FGS) for officers graduating from the CBP Field Operations Academy as of October 1, 2009. The new standards require that officers complete a 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes, do 24 pushups in one minute, run the 220-yard dash in 45 seconds, and extend 12.5 inches when doing the sit and reach. In order to prepare students to satisfy the new FGS’s the student training regimen has been modified.

I have asked this question numerous times without an answer. How do they arrive at the measurement of 12.5 inches? I've looked at dozens of videos, but all of them set different values for the bottom of your feet. Obviously, CBP is not using the zero value for the bottom. I don't know of many humans with a spine that can reach a foot and a half past their toes. But is there anyone that can shed light on this so we can know just how far you must reach?

The sit and reach box looks similar to this one. The value 0 starts at the edge near/facing you. Hope this helps...if you can touch your toes don't sweat it to much(that should be at value 10 inches...I can be wrong so don't quote me on this). I know people that can do a 24inch sit and reach! Talk about flexibility.

Comment

• Going for my med/fit retest tomorrow. I'm confident I can pass. I just hope I don't get some BS fail like girly got. Been at this too long to lose out on something stupid.
          Geo: Illinois
          Test Score: 94
          Quals: GS-7
          T.O.: 8/7/2007
          Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel
            And 99.9 % of CBPOS are fighting any change of turning us from TSA with guns to doing real work.
            Pluhlease. The vast majority of CBPO's would leap at the chance to do "real work".

Comment

• just out of curiousity.....how often does CBP officer open up....when was the last announcement and does anyone have any clue on when the next one will be?

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyHoyle View Post
                Going for my med/fit retest tomorrow. I'm confident I can pass. I just hope I don't get some BS fail like girly got. Been at this too long to lose out on something stupid.
                BillyHoyle,

Roger that, I had mine this past Saturday. They were routing for me. Girly had to have gotten an uptight individual as a test proctor. Good luck with yours.

Merlin,

In dealings my with Law Enforcement in South Florida has left me knowing that CBPO's are held in high regards. Just like all agency's big and small, some got A##***#, some got fat officers and some even have people who enjoy starting controversy.

T-
                Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Title goes here but make sure you dont run out of space before your done with your th

Yeah! HTJ is back!!! I missed you buddy where ya been?

I see you still haven't quite figured out how to use the title bar though. Oh well keep pluggin' away at it.

Comment

• That had to be the longest paragraph known to man, too.

Comment

• Since The Jackel is back demeaning the job of a CBPO a few things should be pointed out. 99% of all travelers are honest. We still have to have contact all travelers. If a patrol officer goes out and runs every car they get behind they will in most cases run a 99% chance of finding nothing. Obviously this stat goes down in bad neighborhoods and goes up in the nicer neighborhoods.

Yes our jobs can be very mundane when we are required to talk to every person coming into this country or look at every cargo container and 99% are honest law obeying people. To say we are the laughing stock is calling into question the professionalism of the other policing agencies. The same as saying we are held in high esteem. In my experience we are viewed as a LE agency, but because the job is so large the locals haven't formed any real opinion of it. In the big scheme of things they don't care enough to figure out what we (or ICE, or BP) do to form the opinion. A few of the locals are a bit envious of our search authority, and have asked for assistance when they want to search a boat at one of our small craft ports.

The prohibition of age and sex norming was a stipulation of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (I believe). The law does not, not surprisingly, apply to the government. It does say that any test administered had to be applicable to the job it is screening for. Meaning it doesn't matter if your 18, 55, male or female you would still have to perform the action. The Florida PAT is a decent test but a little too loose as far as time requirements are concerned. I am glad CBP doesn't do the age or sex norming in the academy.

I, and many CBPO's, really don't want to swap with BP. If we wanted to be BP we would have applied there and gone to their academy. This does not mean we want to just come in and go home and not do anything. Many CBPO's want to come in do their job to the best of their ability and go home. Often times management does get in the way, but that is the price of a job, having to answer to someone.

This job isn't for everyone. If you're looking for high action then this probably isn't for you. If you're looking for a decent paycheck and the knowledge that you are helping to keep the country secure, doing a job no other agency does, then this might be for you. One of the most frequently heard complaints is that there isn't enough action. Most of those officers are looking for jobs with other federal LE agencies with more to do.
                      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• To follow up on something.

I have been in TSU since January. I am running and lifting and don't foresee any issues with the physical requirements at FLETC except, I am concerned about this sit and reach. I am not flexible and never have been. I have played sports all my life and have never been able to touch my toes. I stretch regularly but I am worried that I won't be able to reach the 12.5 inches. Is this a deal breaker? Am I making too much of this? I have worked hard to get my run times down and the other stuff and it would be such a shame if I failed the sit and reach. Any information would be most appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by anydaynow View Post
                          To follow up on something.

I have been in TSU since January. I am running and lifting and don't foresee any issues with the physical requirements at FLETC except, I am concerned about this sit and reach. I am not flexible and never have been. I have played sports all my life and have never been able to touch my toes. I stretch regularly but I am worried that I won't be able to reach the 12.5 inches. Is this a deal breaker? Am I making too much of this? I have worked hard to get my run times down and the other stuff and it would be such a shame if I failed the sit and reach. Any information would be most appreciated.
                          From the sound of it, yes... it's a deal breaker. It would be one of the graduation requirements. If you've never taken a Yoga class, I very highly recommend it. A lot of guys I know think it's "girly", but it's such a great way to build flexibility and to avoid injuries from other activities. If you wouldn't feel comfortable in a group setting, buy a good Yoga DVD and work on it at home. I take a Yoga class once a week, and within a month I noticed a huge difference in my balance and flexibility.

Comment

• Still waiting for a TO for Seattle. Tested back in February. This is killing me!!
                            BPA EOD - 09/06/10

Comment

• Originally posted by kearney3 View Post
                              The Dallas area would be my first choice and then Austin my second choice. I was told by the recruiter that I would most likely get Dallas or Houston but who knows. I live in the DFW area but I am currently stationed in El Paso working for Border Patrol. I didnt even know that there was a choice of SE Texas or East Texas. I know my geo pref included Houston as one of the cities. I really hope that I am not in TSU for that long.
                              Ok well I'm waiting for East Texas as well, not sure where I got the SE Texas thing, like I said it's been awhile for me. Well good luck with everything, I hope you don't wait in TSU so long either. As for BP, you're just looking for change, or trying to get back home, or at least closer to home?
                              TO-6/16/08
                              TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• Originally posted by Jperkins1021 View Post
                                Sorry cant help you out with the info about laredo, that is about a 4 hr drive from where I will be at. They gave me El Paso, TX, which is about 4hrs west of laredo. EOD = Entry on Duty (If I remember correctly) and TSU = Training Selection Unit.

Hope you do get cleared soon, and hope to maybe meet people from here at the academy. Dont have my paper with me but I think my class # is 970. Will check tonight and update tomorrow

Yep checked my entry papers that I received and I will be in class 970. So hopefully there is someone else on here that got in and be in the same class.
                                Last edited by Jperkins1021; 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM.
                                CBPO
                                Written: ~06-08
                                T.O.: 3-09
                                Pre-employment forms: 3-09 Completed
                                Fitness: 4-09 Completed
                                Medical: 4-09 Completed
                                VBT: 3-09 Completed
                                Drug test: 3-09 Completed
                                Quals: 4-09 Completed
                                B.I.: 08-06-09 Completed
                                Geo Pref: SW - Texas/NM (Took El Paso, TX)
                                TSU:08-07-09
                                EOD:08-17-09
                                FLETC:Sept 10 - Dec 30

"While watching you through the scope of my rifle, all I can say is: "You can run but you WILL die tired""

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13439 users online. 475 members and 12964 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X