300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
    Yes, I did, however, a friend of mine who has been with CBP for some time now told me that with the locality pay, the base for a 7 is like 45K. Obviously she was wrong.
    She may not have been wrong in terms of what she was actually making depending on where she is and what shift she works. In many parts of the country, the base for a 7 is about $40k and if you're working an evening shift with a 15% differential you'd be making about $45-$46k before OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by La Migra View Post
      She may not have been wrong in terms of what she was actually making depending on where she is and what shift she works. In many parts of the country, the base for a 7 is about $40k and if you're working an evening shift with a 15% differential you'd be making about $45-$46k before OT.
      She is in Miami working dayshift. SHe started there about six years ago.

Comment

She is in Miami working dayshift. SHe started there about six years ago.
        According to OPM's pay scale a 7 step 1 in Miami is just over $40,000 this year. You've got to factor in though that you get 12 holidays a year that are paid at double time and all Sundays are time and a half so even on days, it does not take a whole lot of OT to get from $40,000 to $45,000.

Comment

According to OPM's pay scale a 7 step 1 in Miami is just over $40,000 this year. You've got to factor in though that you get 12 holidays a year that are paid at double time and all Sundays are time and a half so even on days, it does not take a whole lot of OT to get from $40,000 to $45,000.
          Thats true for 2009, but my geo preference isnt Miami, its ATL.
          Thanks Again

Comment

Thats true for 2009, but my geo preference isnt Miami, its ATL.
            Thanks Again
            Oops sorry, I didn't read back far enough!

But...Atlanta is right around $40k base as well and I'd assume you'd be going to the airport. Most international flights at most airports land during the afternoon/evening so I would guess you'd probably be looking at a shift with the 15% differential at least to start. The really big airports like JFK, LAX etc may be busy 24 hours, but I would imagine that Atlanta would be more of an afternoon/evening kind of place. You could just call them and ask what types of shift new officers tend to be assigned. My guess is that you'd take a hit the first year but be at or maybe even above your current take home as a 9 and be way over it as an 11-1. I took a big pay cut to take this job as well but it really does get better fast.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

Comment

• Miami...$40K. With Sunday pay, holiday pay and the odd night/midnight shift you should see 45K+ before OT.

The keyword is "should". If you're on a Tues.-Sat. dayshift, there's potentially little more than a few K's of holiday pay available before OT.

Comment

Oops sorry, I didn't read back far enough!

But...Atlanta is right around $40k base as well and I'd assume you'd be going to the airport. Most international flights at most airports land during the afternoon/evening so I would guess you'd probably be looking at a shift with the 15% differential at least to start. The really big airports like JFK, LAX etc may be busy 24 hours, but I would imagine that Atlanta would be more of an afternoon/evening kind of place. You could just call them and ask what types of shift new officers tend to be assigned. My guess is that you'd take a hit the first year but be at or maybe even above your current take home as a 9 and be way over it as an 11-1. I took a big pay cut to take this job as well but it really does get better fast.

Hope this helps, best of luck.
                That does help, thanks again!

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                  Right, BUT if we go to both sites and ask for average TSU Dates, we have a general ability to see where we stand. If nobody on either site is waiting for JFK prior to march - then maybe march is next to go?

Not really.

TSU isn't static, it's fluid.
                  People move in or out of it depending on their status. Applicants are pulled out to retest for fitness, drugs, etc. as steps expire, and they jump back in with their original test dates as they complete the pre-employment steps again.

On the other end, JFK may draw 5 new hires next month...or 75. The difference between a March, 09 and an August, 09 draw for JFK might well only be a few hours. Then again, it could also be years.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Not really.

TSU isn't static, it's fluid.
                    People move in or out of it depending on their status. Applicants are pulled out to retest for fitness, drugs, etc. as steps expire, and they jump back in with their original test dates as they complete the pre-employment steps again.

On the other end, JFK may draw 5 new hires next month...or 75. The difference between a March, 09 and an August, 09 draw for JFK might well only be a few hours. Then again, it could also be years.
                    But generally we are able to see that the last people to be called probably came from February TSU or earier. That puts us in a better position than those waiting for Newark or Washington. It also helps us understand that, yes, we may never be called BUT if March and April go in some order then we are most likely going to be in the next bunch. It helps us put the pedal to the metal in terms of fitness. Sure we could be pulld in the same mass bunch from March to August, but eaither way it gives us some idea of the wait.

NY has pretty high hiring numbers normally - that makes it more likely for an applicant from NY to post on these boards than a guy from laredo - it also means that we are more likely to get an adequate sample population to draw minor hiring conclusions from.

Of course, if one guy comes on from laredo, he gets plucked up to go asap because there arnt that many applicants.

People start to believe in tarot cards when they are bored and waiting for something to happen.
                    CBPO
                    GEO - NY/JFK
                    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                    PE Forms - Completed
                    Fitness - Completed
                    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                    Drug Screen - Completed
                    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                    TSU

EOD: ???
                    FLETC: ???

Comment

• For those WAITING FOR ATL I was told by upper management that they are at their numbers right now and have not had anyone in pre-academy since around march, they also said they don't forsee anyone coming in til 2012.
                      These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Not on the Phone line

Hello everyone,

I called the Cass line Friday and today. It says no record or something to that effect. I am still on the computer as everything completed. I always heard the phone was faster. Do you guys think something is wrong now?

Just nervous as to why I am missing.
                        FLSTATE1 (FL - OTHER)
                        TEST - 7/21/08 (89) W/O VET
                        TO - 9/12/08
                        VBT - 9/25/08: PASSED
                        FIT TEST - 10/5/08: PASSED
                        DT - 10/29/08 PASSED
                        MET BI - 11/08
                        GS-7 - 11/14/08
                        MEDICAL - 4/1/09 CLEARED
                        BACKGROUND - 8/5/09 CLEARED
                        TSU - 8/7/09
                        Pulled from TSU for New Fit Test 9/18/09
                        NEW FIT TEST - 10/12/09 : PASSED
                        Back in TSU again: 10/21/09
                        EOD - ?

Comment

• Originally posted by flstate1 View Post
                          Hello everyone,

I called the Cass line Friday and today. It says no record or something to that effect. I am still on the computer as everything completed. I always heard the phone was faster. Do you guys think something is wrong now?

Just nervous as to why I am missing.
                          Don't press the # sign at the end of your entry and you should be fine.
                          These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Originally posted by TX54 View Post
                            Sytes and KC12, Thanks for the answer to that question, I have been working out for quite some time, running an average of 5 miles every other day and trying not to push it that much for fear of injury before i get the EOD call. I wanted to know how their PT training was and that answered my question. By the way---- is this recent experiences that you guys have expirenced? like within the year?
                            From what I was told they redo the program every three months or so. The only up to date info would be from those who are currently going through the academy. A good example is when I was going through we started and were allowed to do pull-ups, but within a couple weeks we were prohibited from doing them. The instructor said someone was injured doing them so CBP stopped it, probably only for the duration of the safety investigation.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                              But generally we are able to see that the last people to be called probably came from February TSU or earier. That puts us in a better position than those waiting for Newark or Washington. It also helps us understand that, yes, we may never be called BUT if March and April go in some order then we are most likely going to be in the next bunch. It helps us put the pedal to the metal in terms of fitness. Sure we could be pulld in the same mass bunch from March to August, but eaither way it gives us some idea of the wait.

NY has pretty high hiring numbers normally - that makes it more likely for an applicant from NY to post on these boards than a guy from laredo - it also means that we are more likely to get an adequate sample population to draw minor hiring conclusions from.

Of course, if one guy comes on from laredo, he gets plucked up to go asap because there arnt that many applicants.

People start to believe in tarot cards when they are bored and waiting for something to happen.
                              Also keep in mind that the longer someone spends in TSU the more likely they will get picked up by another agency, find another job, get promoted at their current job and no longer want a job with CBP, fail retests, die, get mangled by a cotton gin and become horribly disabled or for whatever other reason just become not able or willing to take the job after such a long wait. So every day while there may still be a lot of names on the TSU list there are less people on that list that will be available to take the job.

These are the cockamamie theories that keep me sane after a year of waiting . I'm a sad sad man

Comment

• Don't I feel retarded.

Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
                                Don't press the # sign at the end of your entry and you should be fine.
                                Reapplied,

Thanks, I was referred to TSU on 8/6/09. I just emailed them and they responded that I was referred to Training and Scheduling. Then I called CASS and did not use the # sign and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help.
                                FLSTATE1 (FL - OTHER)
                                TEST - 7/21/08 (89) W/O VET
                                TO - 9/12/08
                                VBT - 9/25/08: PASSED
                                FIT TEST - 10/5/08: PASSED
                                DT - 10/29/08 PASSED
                                MET BI - 11/08
                                GS-7 - 11/14/08
                                MEDICAL - 4/1/09 CLEARED
                                BACKGROUND - 8/5/09 CLEARED
                                TSU - 8/7/09
                                Pulled from TSU for New Fit Test 9/18/09
                                NEW FIT TEST - 10/12/09 : PASSED
                                Back in TSU again: 10/21/09
                                EOD - ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9506 users online. 275 members and 9231 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X