Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed. Someone posted the link.

Comment

• Think I read somewhere on here that you need to take 2 pairs of shoes and a pair of black boots. I have the running shoes taken care of, but question is what type of boots do i need to take? I was looking at these http://www.copshoes.com/c-original-s...p-OS-1232.html , Just wondering so that I can make sure I have what I need in time before Sept 10th
      CBPO
      Written: ~06-08
      T.O.: 3-09
      Pre-employment forms: 3-09 Completed
      Fitness: 4-09 Completed
      Medical: 4-09 Completed
      VBT: 3-09 Completed
      Drug test: 3-09 Completed
      Quals: 4-09 Completed
      B.I.: 08-06-09 Completed
      Geo Pref: SW - Texas/NM (Took El Paso, TX)
      TSU:08-07-09
      EOD:08-17-09
      FLETC:Sept 10 - Dec 30

"While watching you through the scope of my rifle, all I can say is: "You can run but you WILL die tired""

Comment

• Originally posted by Jperkins1021 View Post
        Think I read somewhere on here that you need to take 2 pairs of shoes and a pair of black boots. I have the running shoes taken care of, but question is what type of boots do i need to take? I was looking at these http://www.copshoes.com/c-original-s...p-OS-1232.html , Just wondering so that I can make sure I have what I need in time before Sept 10th
        Unless things have changed you dont need boots. Just a pair of black presentable shoes to wear with your uniform until you get your issued boots.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
          Unless things have changed you dont need boots. Just a pair of black presentable shoes to wear with your uniform until you get your issued boots.
          You'll get issued these:
          http://www.copshoes.com/c-danner-str...DAN-42975.html

Comment

• Thanks, I looked up the salary and please let me know if I am correct, a GS-7 in Atlanta is $39,687?? That will be a $26,000 pay cut from my base salary for me to leave my current police dept. How are the increases and how often? For some reason, I thought CBP paid more. like, how many steps to you have to go through to move up in grade, or do you increase a step each year?
            Last edited by sassy7932; 08-09-2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• In our class, 1 set of running shoes was it.
              I followed the info stating 1 set of court shoes, 1 set of running shoes... Though tried to give away my court shoes as there is absolutely no time for ANYONE to change shoes between tactics and exercise. It did not happen in either the A or B side of our class.

Now if you intend to play Basketball during your off time and don't mind chancing an injury - I would strongly suggest bringing a pair of court shoes for a bit more ankle support.

Other than that, 1 set of running shoes and simple pr of blk boots / shoes until you pick up the shoes you choose from VF Solutions. Be it Strikers, Danners, or a few other choices. I do believe now the Converse tactical is available as well.

I entered with my Bates tactical boots and wore them throughout the course. In fact, my Danners are still sitting in their box. They are way too darn heavy for my daily use.

Sassy, Each year you raise in pay grade. So if you start at a 7, after one year you will be at 9... then next year 11. At 11 - you climb pay STEPS so 11-1, 11-2 etc... If you move to Supervisor / Port Director then it bumps up further - 12, 13... etc. Not sure off hand what the cap is. OR come back to FLETC as an instructor and you will be at GS 13! heh from GS 11.
              Last edited by Sytes; 08-09-2009, 06:43 PM.
              Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
                Thanks, I looked up the salary and please let me know if I am correct, a GS-7 in Atlanta is $39,687?? That will be a $26,000 pay cut from my base salary for me to leave my current police dept. How are the increases and how often? For some reason, I thought CBP paid more. like, how many steps to you have to go through to move up in grade, or do you increase a step each year?
                That is you BASE to which you have an opportunity to add 25 to 35k in OT, plus your differentials (Nights, Weekends, Holidays)...
                You move up from 7 to 9 and to 11 each year then it is the steps for how long you have served as an 11 (you can later on apply for 12 or 13 spots, but those are competitive slots)
                You will be looking at much more than that your first year for sure!...
                Last edited by yoda; 08-09-2009, 06:32 PM.
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Jperkins1021 View Post
                  Think I read somewhere on here that you need to take 2 pairs of shoes and a pair of black boots. I have the running shoes taken care of, but question is what type of boots do i need to take? I was looking at these http://www.copshoes.com/c-original-s...p-OS-1232.html , Just wondering so that I can make sure I have what I need in time before Sept 10th
                  IMO, save your money until you've a good idea what type of boot you'll need/want. No since spending $80 on a pair of boots that you might only wear for 3 months during pre/early academy.

Walmart special...less than $27 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=10841724

Comment

• You might have the opportunity to add 25K to 35K in OT and premium pay. Then again, you might not. Lots of ports have very limited OT and/or shift premiums.

Learn to live on your base pay. Unlike OT and premium pay, it's always there for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      You might have the opportunity to add 25K to 35K in OT and premium pay. Then again, you might not. Lots of ports have very limited OT and/or shift premiums.

Learn to live on your base pay. Unlike OT and premium pay, it's always there for you.
                      I do live based on my base pay, but from about $66k base to $39K base is a big difference!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sytes View Post
                        In our class, 1 set of running shoes was it.
                        I followed the info stating 1 set of court shoes, 1 set of running shoes... Though tried to give away my court shoes as there is absolutely no time for ANYONE to change shoes between tactics and exercise. It did not happen in either the A or B side of our class.

Now if you intend to play Basketball during your off time and don't mind chancing an injury - I would strongly suggest bringing a pair of court shoes for a bit more ankle support.

Other than that, 1 set of running shoes and simple pr of blk boots / shoes until you pick up the shoes you choose from VF Solutions. Be it Strikers, Danners, or a few other choices. I do believe now the Converse tactical is available as well.

I entered with my Bates tactical boots and wore them throughout the course. In fact, my Danners are still sitting in their box. They are way too darn heavy for my daily use.

Sassy, Each year you raise in pay grade. So if you start at a 7, after one year you will be at 9... then next year 11. At 11 - you climb pay STEPS so 11-1, 11-2 etc... If you move to Supervisor / Port Director then it bumps up further - 12, 13... etc. Not sure off hand what the cap is. OR come back to FLETC as an instructor and you will be at GS 13! heh from GS 11.
                        Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                          That is you BASE to which you have an opportunity to add 25 to 35k in OT, plus your differentials (Nights, Weekends, Holidays)...
                          You move up from 7 to 9 and to 11 each year then it is the steps for how long you have served as an 11 (you can later on apply for 12 or 13 spots, but those are competitive slots)
                          You will be looking at much more than that your first year for sure!...
                          Thanks Yoda!

Comment

• So...you more or less expected to take an initial hit salary-wise, didn't you?

2 years down the road when you hit your 11 your base pay should be roughly 62K.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              So...you more or less expected to take an initial hit salary-wise, didn't you?

2 years down the road when you hit your 11 your base pay should be roughly 62K.
                              Yes, I did, however, a friend of mine who has been with CBP for some time now told me that with the locality pay, the base for a 7 is like 45K. Obviously she was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
                                Yes, I did, however, a friend of mine who has been with CBP for some time now told me that with the locality pay, the base for a 7 is like 45K. Obviously she was wrong.
                                Base pay for a GS-07 in Houston is roughly 43K. Maybe that's what she was thinking. Or...perhaps she's with Border Patrol? GL-07 pay is almost 45K for Atlanta.

In most likely cases, you make considerably more than base pay in many locations, much of the time. Atlanta is likely to be one of those locations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7476 users online. 372 members and 7104 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X