Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reactivation questions

    First time poster here, but been a member since I applied back in October '08. Hope someone can help me out... here's the story:

    My medical has been pending since I took it along with the fitness back in February. The issue has been my eyesight, as others have likely experienced. The quack medical outfit that proctored my medical and fitness exams found my sight to be 20/200 at best, which we all know is below minimum for uncorrected. MHC advised me to get my eyesight evaluated by a private optometrist/ophthalmologist for a second opinion. I went to my private optometrist, who I've been seeing since I was about 13 years old. She found my vision to be 20/100, the minimum for uncorrected according the CBP standards. I submitted these results to MHC and they still found me medically unqualified. So, I then submitted a medical standard waiver based on prior employment in law enforcement. That too was turned down, and I was again found medically unsuitable. I got that good news yesterday

    I've set up an appointment for Lasik and will be sending results of the procedure to MHC (as long as it all goes according to plan ).

    I guess my questions are, how long is this process likely to take, and what are the chances of it working out in my favor? Has anyone been able to resurrect their "withdrawn" selection, and if everything shows green checks except medical (and has for many months), where would I likely have to start over from if I'm successful?

    Any help is appreciated, especially from those who are wise in the ways of CBP. You know who you are

    Comment


    • Csus0507,
      just curious to know how mhc contacted you & said you're unsuitable? I too, had to see a specialist, but mine was for hearing. I sent in the additional paperwork & after a month & a half cass still says pending. I'm assuming once you're found unsuitable you'll no longer be able to log into cass or hotline?? Thanks
      Written: 12-11-08
      Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
      B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

      Comment


      • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        I've never seen a CBPO working a checkpoint. That's a BP thing. Though, I suppose there's little reason a CBPO couldn't work a checkpoint...if things came to that.
        CBPO's usually work ports, and I wouldn't say it's usually behind a counter...but that will of course depend on where one is working and what one is doing.

        There are quite a few reasons why OFO and OBP standards differ. A couple, in no particular order:

        1: Until recently, the CBPO job was an uncovered position that frequently hired many people in their 40's, 50's and 60's. It's only in the last year or so that we've been covered and limited hiring to those under 37.

        2: They're different jobs and OFO has a much higher need for female officers than OBP has a need for female agents. Generally speaking, if you raise physical standards, you'll cull out more women than men. The day that OFO is satisfied being a mere 5% female, as is the BP, is the day OFO will mirror BP's hiring/training standards.
        I'm guessing the other guy didn't mean check point as in an inland BP checkpoint. But I do know that CBPO's are working at inland BP checkpoints and BPA's are at some POE's doing a crossing training thing.

        Comment


        • Cbphopeful, I too have been waiting for MHC to clear my medical. I've taken the medical back in March and received a letter for additional information for my eyesight. I went to my optometrist and was found to have 20/70 binocular. I sent my paperwork in May and now it is July and CASS is still pending. I emailed MHC they said they've received my paperwork and a specialist a reviewing and that I should check back 2-3 weeks. It is now week 3 since the email and I am still looking at pending.

          Comment


          • I have it on pretty good authority that JFK is done extending firm offers of employment until October at the earliest. Bummer. I knew it, but this is from numerous reputable sources.
            CBPO
            GEO - NY/JFK
            TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

            TO - 01/09
            PE Forms - Completed
            Fitness - Completed
            VBT - 03/09 - Completed
            Drug Screen - Completed
            Qual - 05/09 - Completed
            B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
            Medical - 05/09 - Completed
            TSU


            EOD: ???
            FLETC: ???

            Comment


            • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Never expect the Government to be fast at doing things that make sense or save money.

              DHS and CBPO's have only been around since 2003. The likeliest biggest hurdle to identical standards in the past was hiring age/12D coverage. That's now broken. If I was to take a wild stab at the future I'd guess that at some point both standards(and both jobs) will be merged into one. Thinking broad, one might throw IEA's into the mix as well.
              it would make sense to merge standards and both jobs.

              Comment


              • Both BP and CBP now hold the same standards for PEB - as of July 1st. Anyone entering FLETC after July 1st are subject to BP reg's to include situps, pushups and the 1.5mile run - etc. I believe it includes pre 1.5mile run a series of sprints (220 x 2?) Still not a bad deal as it is 15min mile max... If one does not feel they can pass a 15min 1.5mile - well, start working on it now... Standard PD typically hold their 1.5mile from 12 - 14min pending age. CBP does not modify age as it is OPEN way beyond standard age / time.

                Re: Medical - If you get a "Not medically cleared" letter - I believe one has 30 days to have your doctor respond with his/her medical evaluation of the concern. Typically it may take 60-120 days to clear a previously not cleared medical response... IF it is something considered "cleared upon review".

                Hope this helps. Again, Good luck all!

                RoBeans - cheers on your UM support!

                Originally posted by Thek9
                Sytes,
                Thanks for the heads up and intel. Why are you up so late?
                My time stamp displayed 10:22pm or so... Late? It is later than norm... though not too late
                Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by luckycharms View Post
                  I have yet to see Alabama come up on the board either, not that im surprised... pretty sure Im in for a long wait to get a TO.
                  I'm from AL and headed to FLETC tomorrow. Couple others also following in the next few weeks.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CSUS0507 View Post
                    First time poster here, but been a member since I applied back in October '08. Hope someone can help me out... here's the story:

                    My medical has been pending since I took it along with the fitness back in February. The issue has been my eyesight, as others have likely experienced. The quack medical outfit that proctored my medical and fitness exams found my sight to be 20/200 at best, which we all know is below minimum for uncorrected. MHC advised me to get my eyesight evaluated by a private optometrist/ophthalmologist for a second opinion. I went to my private optometrist, who I've been seeing since I was about 13 years old. She found my vision to be 20/100, the minimum for uncorrected according the CBP standards. I submitted these results to MHC and they still found me medically unqualified. So, I then submitted a medical standard waiver based on prior employment in law enforcement. That too was turned down, and I was again found medically unsuitable. I got that good news yesterday

                    I've set up an appointment for Lasik and will be sending results of the procedure to MHC (as long as it all goes according to plan ).

                    I guess my questions are, how long is this process likely to take, and what are the chances of it working out in my favor? Has anyone been able to resurrect their "withdrawn" selection, and if everything shows green checks except medical (and has for many months), where would I likely have to start over from if I'm successful?

                    Any help is appreciated, especially from those who are wise in the ways of CBP. You know who you are

                    So I took the medical exam back in April 28,2009. My vision was 20/200. I knew I was 20/200 so within a month MHC mailed me a letter stating that I was not medically cleared because of my eye sight that they recommend Lasik Surgery. So they gave me a month to have Lasik done and submit my vision results after lasik. I mailed in results and now I have a 3 month post-op check up, that can't be done sooner than 3 months. Now I have 20/20 vision, my post-op is Sept 9th. My advise is to get Lasik Surgery done ASAP because you still have to wait 3 months after surgery to be medically cleared.
                    Last edited by SDCBP; 07-21-2009, 11:53 PM.

                    Comment


                    • For anyone interested. They are very similar.

                      Border Patrol
                      Pre employment tests
                      20 push ups in 60 seconds
                      25 sit-ups in 60 seconds
                      5 minute step test
                      To graduate/Final test
                      •1 1/2 Mile Run - Maximum time: 13 minutes
                      •Confidence Course - Maximum time: 2 1/2 minutes
                      •220 Yard Dash - Maximum time: 46 seconds



                      CBP
                      Pre employment tests
                      You must achieve a minimum cumulative score of 80 points on Part One and successfully complete Part Two (the Step Test)
                      Part One
                      •Push-ups (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
                      •Side Step Test (as many line touches as you can in 10 seconds)
                      •Sit-up Test (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
                      •Lift/Lower Test (8 cycles as quickly and safely as possible)
                      Part Two
                      •Step Test (step in cadence for 5 minutes)
                      To graduate/ Final Test
                      1.5 Mile Run - 15 minutes or less
                      • Sit and Reach – 12.5 inches
                      • Push-ups – 24 in one minute
                      • 220 Yard Run – 45 seconds or less
                      Last edited by UofU76; 07-22-2009, 12:38 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by cbpoapplicant View Post
                        I'm from AL and headed to FLETC tomorrow. Couple others also following in the next few weeks.
                        Congradulations! Hopefuly there will be a spot for me soon.
                        __________________
                        CBPO - AL
                        Written Exam: 4/29/09
                        NOR 6/1/09

                        __________________
                        LCCC Police Academy
                        7/13/09

                        Comment


                        • Lay off the whoppers and video games and this test will magically appear easier.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                            For anyone interested. They are very similar.

                            Border Patrol
                            Pre employment tests
                            20 push ups in 60 seconds
                            25 sit-ups in 60 seconds
                            5 minute step test
                            To graduate/Final test
                            •1 1/2 Mile Run - Maximum time: 13 minutes
                            •Confidence Course - Maximum time: 2 1/2 minutes
                            •220 Yard Dash - Maximum time: 46 seconds



                            CBP
                            Pre employment tests
                            You must achieve a minimum cumulative score of 80 points on Part One and successfully complete Part Two (the Step Test)
                            Part One
                            •Push-ups (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
                            •Side Step Test (as many line touches as you can in 10 seconds)
                            •Sit-up Test (as many proper form as you can in 1 minute)
                            •Lift/Lower Test (8 cycles as quickly and safely as possible)
                            Part Two
                            •Step Test (step in cadence for 5 minutes)
                            To graduate/ Final Test
                            1.5 Mile Run - 15 minutes or less
                            • Sit and Reach – 12.5 inches
                            • Push-ups – 24 in one minute
                            • 220 Yard Run – 45 seconds or less
                            Im suprised that the 220 time for CBP is actually LOWER for CBPO than it is for BPA?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                              Im suprised that the 220 time for CBP is actually LOWER for CBPO than it is for BPA?
                              I found it interesting that there where no push-ups to graduate from border and no sit-ups for either. I am not sure what's up with the one second difference for the 220 yard dash.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
                                I found it interesting that there where no push-ups to graduate from border and no sit-ups for either. I am not sure what's up with the one second difference for the 220 yard dash.
                                Hard to say, i would suggest its a typo but it looks like a copy and paste. And they call one the 220 run and one the 220 sprint. Who knows, the agency has strange ways about it.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4938 users online. 198 members and 4740 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X