300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I fired or did I quit?

I had one job in high school working for PETCO. I wasnt a perfect angel, I had my fair share of being late and other misc. stuff, but when i went to turn in my two week notification, they told me that I had the amount of points to be fired and told me to leave then. So what would I say on a PHS, was I fired or did I quit? Because both kind of happened.
    LAPD

Chances are, if they do a thorough background, they'll talk to either your former supervisor or somebody with access to the personnel records. Based on what you are saying, my guess would be that your file there shows you as being terminated. In that case, I would probably go ahead and show it as being fired, you'll probably have an opportunity to explain later and honesty is of utmost importance.

Gibbmusic
    Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz
      I had one job in high school working for PETCO. I wasnt a perfect angel, I had my fair share of being late and other misc. stuff, but when i went to turn in my two week notification, they told me that I had the amount of points to be fired and told me to leave then. So what would I say on a PHS, was I fired or did I quit? Because both kind of happened.

Just be honest, and tell them you were fired. I seriously doubt they are going to worry about a job at PETCO from your high schools days. Only reason I think they would care, is if you were fired for stealing or something along those lines...Also if you were fired from several jobs, that could be a problem.

Comment

well i know there are questions that refer to a situation like yours. They ask something like "have you ever left a job because you were going to be fired" they have all sorts of questions for all kinds of situations. The nice thing is, you get a chance to explain your answers so i would put down that you were terminated and then explain the situation when questioned...good luck!

Comment

I have a quick question now that we're on the subject.

I've technically been fired three times. Once was at 11 from a newspaper delivery job for late delivery. Another time at 18 for requesting time off from work to visit my bestfriend who was sick and in the hospital. Btw, my company said that because he wasn't family it didn't qualify for personal leave. So, I told them I was taking off anyway(2 days) and they told me that I wouldn't have a job when I returned. I had known my bestfriend for 10 years at the time. So, I guess I was fired. The third time, at 23, was at a sales job when I ran out of product when I underestimated a stores potential.

I'm 27 now and have been at the same company for two years with a spotless work history. I've had jobs in between and have left all of them on good terms. One of the jobs I was at almost 3 years.

Does my work history look bad to a BI?

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
            I have a quick question now that we're on the subject.

I've technically been fired three times. Once was at 11 from a newspaper delivery job for late delivery. Another time at 18 for requesting time off from work to visit my bestfriend who was sick and in the hospital. Btw, my company said that because he wasn't family it didn't qualify for personal leave. So, I told them I was taking off anyway(2 days) and they told me that I wouldn't have a job when I returned. I had known my bestfriend for 10 years at the time. So, I guess I was fired. The third time, at 23, was at a sales job when I ran out of product when I underestimated a stores potential.

I'm 27 now and have been at the same company for two years with a spotless work history. I've had jobs in between and have left all of them on good terms. One of the jobs I was at almost 3 years.

Does my work history look bad to a BI?

I would say that it definately won't help you, but any good BI should look into the reasons why you were terminated, not just the fact that you were terminated. Like FutureLE mentioned above, if you were ever terminated for stealing or severe misconduct, then you can guarantee that you'll be thoroughly scrutinized. However if you get a chance, be it during the interview process or in a conversation with the background investigator, let them know exactly why you were fired from those jobs.

You'll find out that most LE agencies follow this motto:
            To err is human, to lie about it is your ticket to unemployment.

Good luck,
            Gibbmusic
            Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Gibbmusic!

However, I seriously doubt anyone would be overly concerned with my having been fired from a newspaper delivery job at the age of 11.

My adult firings are what they are. When you don't own your own company you can't just close up shop and run to the hospital bedside of your near death bestfriend. Also, I'm not a mindreader and can't guess what a store will sell on a weekend when their competitor is closed unexpectedly because of a sewer problem.

All I can do is be honest with my BI's and let them be the judge.

Thanks to anyone that replys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3491 users online. 224 members and 3267 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X