300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local PD's?

I just got a call from a local pd. It was El Segundo PD in SoCal. Does anybody know anything about them? Your ranking is based solely on interview so we will see. Its about 90 officers. They are only hiring for like 2 spots now. They said I dont have to do the poly or medical or psych till after a conditional job offer. But they pay 3550 a month in the academy then go up to 4190 after graduation as base pay. Also 3% PERS solely payed into by city none from me. Just wondering what you guys thought about el segundo?
    "If everyone had the right priorities in life there would always be a shortage of fishing poles."
    Mark Twain upon being questioned on the meaning of life

God bless all those that went thru hell in the dark corners of the world and died in secret to defend our freedom- DE OPPRESSO LIBER 1st SF GROUP

You'd be hard pressed to find a department in SoCal that people have bad stuff to say about except for one notable exception. Go for it.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

you mean LAPD or SDPD? El Segundo benefits seem pretty hard to beat. I like the 3% pers and pay is pretty good. they got pre tax 401k. It seems pretty good. Its much smaller than torrance though. But they seem pretty good.
      "If everyone had the right priorities in life there would always be a shortage of fishing poles."

God bless all those that went thru hell in the dark corners of the world and died in secret to defend our freedom- DE OPPRESSO LIBER 1st SF GROUP

Comment

Originally posted by greenberet3382
        you mean LAPD or SDPD? El Segundo benefits seem pretty hard to beat. I like the 3% pers and pay is pretty good. they got pre tax 401k. It seems pretty good. Its much smaller than torrance though. But they seem pretty good.

SDPD is more than likely who he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by greenberet3382
          I just got a call from a local pd. It was El Segundo PD in SoCal. Does anybody know anything about them? Your ranking is based solely on interview so we will see. Its about 90 officers. They are only hiring for like 2 spots now. They said I dont have to do the poly or medical or psych till after a conditional job offer. But they pay 3550 a month in the academy then go up to 4190 after graduation as base pay. Also 3% PERS solely payed into by city none from me. Just wondering what you guys thought about el segundo?

Dept. pays really well. Do it. Very small dept though.

Comment

Originally posted by SR-25
            SDPD is more than likely who he is talking about.
            What's going on with SDPD?
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Smaller departments aren't so bad. You'll be a name, not a number. The Chief will actually recognize you and say hello. Your jurisdictional boundaries may not be as large, but in a bigger department you'll be assigned to a zone or precinct anyway. If nothing else, you can use it as a starting point. Put in a few years there and move on to a larger department if you wish.
              If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Whats not going on with SDPD?

http://www.kfmb.com/story.php?id=49037

http://www.10news.com/news/9241993/detail.html

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...ion=1&id=30197

That was just within two minutes of searching.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
                  Smaller departments aren't so bad. You'll be a name, not a number. The Chief will actually recognize you and say hello. Your jurisdictional boundaries may not be as large, but in a bigger department you'll be assigned to a zone or precinct anyway. If nothing else, you can use it as a starting point. Put in a few years there and move on to a larger department if you wish.
                  You're right. I just actually like being a number. If I would ever have to, I could find somewhere to hide out. Having alot of stations and specialized units also allows someone to move around. If you get burned out, its easy to transfer to a different station that has a whole different demographic and work area. I know few guys that left for smaller depts. They love it. Like SWAT said, use it as a starting point. El Segundo pays very well. You just might like it. If not, move on to a different dept. that offers what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by SR-25

OK, I get it. But contract disputes come and go. We've had plenty. I wouldn't avoid a job just because of this. It's temporary.

Comment

I heard sdpd is paying like 20 percent of their paycheck towards retirement. is that true?

Comment

Sdpd

We pay 6.7% I believe. I can tell you that I pay $230 a paycheck but we do NOT pay into Social Security which I believe is 7.75%??

As I've said in other posts, the department itself isn't (wasn't?) the REAL problem, the problem is the City Management which has dragged the department down. We have PLENTY of negatives right now but all the positives of a big city still exist...alot of specialized assignments, OT at professional football and baseball games, etc....

...and I LOVE being a number, not a name. Let's you stay out of the political, butt-kissing circles of a small department. You get one LT or higher than doesn't like you in a small department and your carrer is done for the most part.
                        "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader
                          We pay 6.7% I believe. I can tell you that I pay $230 a paycheck but we do NOT pay into Social Security which I believe is 7.75%??
                          How is it you don't pay into Social Security like the rest of us fools.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere

Either do we. We have our own retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere

Government agencies can opt out if they have a seperate retirement system. Very few cities make people pay it out here. Of course you get nothing if you put nothing in... My first job was for a city, and I have never paid into it in my life.

Regarding SDPD-
                              I would agree with blue leader that the problems are with the city management and not the department. Money isn't everything.

I know of a couple horrible places to work in so cal. They are all medium sized/small agencies. I did some research and there is a handful of departments in the LA area topping out at less than 5k a month and 2 at 55 retirement still.
                              Last edited by nobody33; 05-28-2006, 10:51 AM.
                              Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3880 users online. 171 members and 3709 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X