300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on Tattoos

I was just given a conditional job offer with a PD here in Michigan. They are in the process of passing a no tattoos visible policy and I have tatts on both of my forearms. One is a police related tatt and the other is a military related tatt. They are not offensive to me as they do not display any nudity or harmful words. The department is hesitant to allow officers to wear long sleeve shirts during summer months because of the uniformity issue (one would look different that the others).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks- Be Safe!!!!

RT

Originally posted by Enviropig
    I was just given a conditional job offer with a PD here in Michigan. They are in the process of passing a no tattoos visible policy and I have tatts on both of my forearms. One is a police related tatt and the other is a military related tatt. They are not offensive to me as they do not display any nudity or harmful words. The department is hesitant to allow officers to wear long sleeve shirts during summer months because of the uniformity issue (one would look different that the others).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks- Be Safe!!!!

RT
    If they don't want their officers to where long sleeves in the summer-time...then I really see nothing you can do.

I really don't see what suggestions you want. Some agencies won't allow their officers to smoke. So what is it you are looking for exactly?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

dude- get some body make-up. The kind that is used in theatre, applied with a smooth sponge applicator. This is the same stuff that they use to cover actor's tats with in movies. Ever see Angelina Jolies tats in her movies? She has a full back tat of a tiger, and one arm almost completely covered. They use body make up to cover them up with. Its real easy to use, you just wipe it on. It's sweatproof, water proof, won't rub off easily either. Good compromise.
      "For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in The Lord will possess the land" Psalm 37/9

Comment

right - not much you can do. What has the dept said about it to you, they obviously know you have the tats right?
        There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

What do you like more...your tatts or your job? Get the tatts gone!
          Besides, tatts are ugly, and they do look very childish and unproffesional in my opinion.

Comment

Hey Rick congrats on the job offer. The makeup idea that kokopelli suggested is something I wouldn't have thought of and sounds like it might do the trick in the short term.
            Disclaimer: The opinions I expressed here are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the positions any other known person or organization.

Comment

You can wear an ace bandage over the tattoo. I have seen that done before.
              "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

I was looking for suggestions on concealing the tattoos. Thanks for the make-up idea. I wonder if it will hold for an 8 hours shift.

I did check into removing them and found out that it will cost $6,000 to $10,000 and take up to two years. The Doc said that the colors green and yellow are almost impossible to remove.

Again, my tattoos are military and police related. Yea, if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't put them on my forearms. I am still proud of both my military and police service and that’s how I chose to express that. No regrets (other than location).

Comment

Good lesson to any youngsters that think the tats are cool. Better think about where they're going...although I think Mcdonalds still lets you have'em show while you work.
                  If life gives you lemons....Go find someone who life gave vodka. {Ron White}

Comment

I agree!! Think long and hard before getting one that will be visable in uniform.

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I'm sure we will work it out.

Comment

Best advice so far is to find out if they have a problem with it now. I wouldn't be embarrassed or regretful for having them. You're proud of what you did and to a degree you should.

They are a form of expression, and last time I looked that wasn't as unprofessional as some would say. You didn't know you would run into this issue when you got them.

Alot of the officers that I work with have tattoes as well. What can you do? Best advise is to see if it is an issue now. If not, fine. Try to find out if you get hired, will it pose a problem later on down the road. If it isn't a policy now, I don't see how if they make a policy, how they can do anything if you are already hired.

Comment

What is that?

Mortician’s wax can cover up tattoos.

For those who are considering getting tattoos and want to be an LEO:

What is that?

A candidate shows up for a coaching session with our son
                        Rob. Rob introduces Jim to me. He looks like he would fit the part of
                        a of a sworn officer. Tall, muscular, dressed in a suit, shoes shinned, and a
                        strong firm handshake; with good eye contact. A great first impression
                        if he had just entered an oral boardroom. Then, as he turned his head
                        slightly, out of the corner of my eye, I see something on his neck
                        behind his ear. I asked, “What is that?” As he turned his head more he
                        said, “That’s a tattoo of a scorpion.” But, I have a good story to go
                        along with it.” I said, “There isn’t a story you could tell me in an
                        oral board, without opening a can or worms, that would convince me it
                        was a good idea you planted a scorpion that spread out behind your ear
                        down your neck.” If I saw it that soon so would a panel member.

What ever your opinion is on tattoos, understand who’s doing the hiring.
                        It’s not you or any one of your friends who also like tattoos, color,
                        so called artwork or tatts.

As one officer wrote:

"Tattoos don’t change people"

No but they do tell everyone who sees them something about you. And that
                        something is nothing you can control, change or alter in most cases. Ask
                        your self why you did or would get inked. You want to tell the world
                        something about yourself, make a statement or be different. Yep you did.
                        Just like the way you choose to cut your hair, the number of piercings,
                        clothes or the people you associate with.

Then, I heard a comedian on XM Radio say about a guy with a neck tattoo,
                        “Oh, you forget not to do it. You were considering getting the neck
                        tattoo but you decided it would be stupid. Then you forgot how stupid
                        it was.”

You’re not auditioning to be a pirate in a movie, but a LEO.
                        Anything about being patriotic, a lot of LEO have tattoos
                        (probably not before they got hired), doesn’t carry any weight.

So, maybe your tattoo is not visible with a suit on. Remember there
                        will an agility, a medical in your future where every inch of your body
                        will be seen, a background and psych questionnaire will more than likely
                        ask you if your have any tattoos or have you ever branded your self.
                        This will not work in your favor.

The candidate with the scorpion tattoo said as he was leaving he, “I
                        have already looked into having it removed and will go a head and do it.
                        Cost? $2,000. Before then, he would take the suggestion of using
                        mortician’s wax to cover it up for any upcoming oral boards.
                        "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

Use Make-up

Make-up Works Well!!!!!!!! Use It! You Can Go Online And Find All Sorts Of Tattoo Make-up, Or Go To Your Local Wal-mart (Beauty Section), Or bx/px/army Surplus Store And Purchase Some Cammo Face Paint..... :d !

Comment

If I had hiring authority, I would not hire ANY officer who had a tattoo. Not only do they look low-class, but they are a clear indication of poor judgement and unnecessary risk taking

Comment

Originally posted by Enviropig
                              I was just given a conditional job offer with a PD here in Michigan. They are in the process of passing a no tattoos visible policy
                              Since you got the conditional offer before they have adopted the policy, I don't know how they could pull back the offer. They knew you had them when they made the offer, even if the policy was in the works.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10485 users online. 321 members and 10164 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X