300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilmington NC

Anyone have any comments on this department. Moral,Pay,Conditions, schedule. Any info would help.

Thanks

hey, I dated a girl 10 years ago that was from Wilmington. She was a Sheriff's deputy here, and moved back there. Anyway, at that time, they were looking to annex a large portion of the county in about 2-3 years (1998-99). We were talking about me moving there with her, and getting on Wilmington PD. Anyway, she had nothing but good things to say about the department. I know the info is kind of dated, but nobody else is jumping in
    "For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in The Lord will possess the land" Psalm 37/9

Comment

Dont know much about the Department, but I love the area. Fairly big city, College town, Tourism.... So I know they stay busy.
      That ol' thin line will always be mine.

Comment

Not too sure about the PD up there but a buddy of mine is a firefighter for Wilmington and he loves it. From what he says Wilmington treats all their public safety employees like gold. Good luck!
        State Trooper, South Carolina Highway Patrol and proud of it buddy.

Comment

I grew up In Wilmington, great city, my family is mostly still living there. I have two friends on the WPD and a couple on the New Hanover Sheriffs Dept. The city is the lowest paid police dept in the state, they have a lot of people that get on the dept get trained work a year or two then move over to the sheriffs. They are a big dept. With the city growing the sheriffs are losing a lot of the county so they haven’t hired in awhile. The university, UNCW, the State Port and the Hospital, New Hanover Regional Medical Center Special Police, is hiring people with training. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ParkLE
            The city is the lowest paid police dept in the state, they have a lot of people that get on the dept get trained work a year or two then move over to the sheriffs.
            I just came across this post and have to say that your information here is TOTALLY false. The lowest paid in the state??? $32,298, I've read many more city department salaries which are WAY lower than that.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...45/1015/news01

That post is 5 months old, sorry if it ruined your day or something. I would guess that I meant lowest paid when you factor in cost of living, NH County is really expensive, I would guess you could research every police agency in NC and find someone making less then WPD but why would you want to, unless you TOTALLY had too much time on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by ParkLE
                http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...45/1015/news01

That post is 5 months old, sorry if it ruined your day or something. I would guess that I meant lowest paid when you factor in cost of living, NH County is really expensive, I would guess you could research every police agency in NC and find someone making less then WPD but why would you want to, unless you TOTALLY had too much time on your hands.
                Actually towncop is correct, $32k as a starting salary at ANY PD in the NC/SC area is a good starting pay, and has been for at least the 5+ years I've been in this business around here. ParkLE you seemed to take it a little personally when he pointed out that your information was false, but he was correct. The acticle that ParkeLE is interesting, however it was based on a press release by the Chief who is not going to give you the whole story. From what I hear, WPD lost a lot of officers for a while due to extremely low morale. You'll find that there are a lot of PDs that pay chicken scratch but have a low turnover rate due to quality of life or benefits or even just an administration that backs up the officers. I have heard that WPD has been up the upswing as of lately and the morale is starting to go back up among active officers. I am the President of my local FOP Lodge so I meet with officers from all over the state on a regular basis and hear all the scuttlebutt.

Anyway, I'm not here to start a flame war on a simple post, I'll try to give some comparison's real quick on the money issue:
                NC City / Population / Starting pay:
                Charlotte Meck PD / 610,949 / $34,010 w/o a degree
                Raleigh PD / 341,540 / $32,166
                Greensboro PD / 231,962 / $32,500
                Winston Salem PD / 193,755 / $31,008
                Wilmington PD / 95,476 / $31,298 w/o a degree
                Asheville PD / 72,231 / $26,141
                Concord PD / 61,092 / $29,623
                Hickory PD / 40,232 / $27,136

As you can see it's fairly even across the board based on city size.
                Also be aware that the cost of living may vary between these cities, but not by a lot. Every city on this list has it's pricey areas but you could live in any city on the list for $30,000 a year alone if you knew how to budget properly.

Keep in mind that starting salary is not an indicator of long term pay at many departments. Some places start you out high to draw new recruits in but the pay increases are few and far between. Take for example my PD, Concord PD, and my best friend's agency, Charlotte-Mecklenburg. I started around 6k less than he did and started a few months after him. In the last 5 years, I've closed that gap to less than 2k and I'm still gaining. Just another factor to think about when shopping PDs.

I hope this helps.
                Gibbmusic
                Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

I work there, what do you want to know? Morale is better since the new chief almost two years ago. Everyone with two years on the force, by the end of the year will have a take home car. Pay could be better, for the size city we live in..you will find out, that the city starts you out alright, but you really don't get raises. There is no real pay scale...yes starting salary may be $31,000 and some change, but ask a 10yr veteran how much he makes. He will be luck if he makes $40,000. We just got a helicopter that should be in the air in the next month. November 1st is the move-in date for our new police department. It is HUGE, with all sorts of anemities. Schedule for patrol is 4 days on, 3 days off..and then it changes every month. So you work M-Thurs, one month, then Thurs-Sun the next. Permanent hours, so either days, evenings or nights...10.5hr shifts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3479 users online. 223 members and 3256 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X