• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virginia State Police
    Position: Pilot - Single Engine
    Position Type: Pilot - Fixed Wing
    Salary: $34,271-$58,497

One day too late, closed on Dec 19th 5pm.

but there out there just have to look really hard...

Comment

There are also sometimes vacancies for agent/pilots with the U.S. Forest Service and National Park Service, though I believe their requirement for hours is quite high (I want to say 1500, but I'm not 100% on that). Some regions in the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - especially Alaska, where pilots are always needed - have been known to either pay for pilot training for a current SA who is interested or at least allow him/her to take training on the clock.
      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Many thanks for the inputs...and I'll keep them as a reference for the future. I'm not really sure how things are going to pan out at Delta with the recent Delta/Northwest merger since I remain a fairly junior pilot...I could get furloughed (again) once consolidation begins. If I do get furloughed again, the inputs will be a valuable reference. I'm not sure how marketable I'll be since I haven't flown a helo in over 15 years and have not been involved in LE for over 2 years. It's good to hear that agencies hire non-sworn/civilian helo pilots.
        Last edited by CincyCop; 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: Addition of text.
        "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          Call me....I lost your damn number when my phone went into a snow drift.....

Hence, I don't have your number or fat boy's number.....
          Tim, I left you a message on your cell yesterday...and provided Norm's number.
          "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Just trying to revive the thread a little bit.....

I'm a furloughed guy from the airlines (PSA Airlines CRJ 200 FO), but thankfully I'm on order's with the National Guard for flight school, so I still have a paycheck.

I worked and/or flew in LE for about 10 years. I left LE and finally tried my take at the airline industry, BIG mistake!!

I hope to be going back to THP, but with budget issues who knows. If anyone knows of any LE hiring, please pass it along. I'm fixed and helo qual'd on several civilian & military airframes.

I'm familiar with the APTAP website and a couple others for job links. I will pass some along as I get them.

Cheers!!
            Speed is life. Altitude is insurance.

Comment

Take a look at the career section of ALEA's website at www.alea.org for jobs specific to airborne law enforcement. But as you probably know, direct entry into law enforcement aviation units is pretty rare, you usually gotta do your "street time" first!

On a side note, in 1980, I almost left my cop job for United Airlines but decided at the last moment to stay with my Department. Now, after almost 32 years on (the last 11 assigned to our Aviation Unit) I am really glad I never left......... I get to fly both helos and F/W in support of a variety of pretty fun L/E missions, and I think my retirement benefits are going to be way better (and more stable) then they would have been had I gone to the airlines all those years ago.

Originally posted by TNTRP View Post
              Just trying to revive the thread a little bit.....

I'm a furloughed guy from the airlines (PSA Airlines CRJ 200 FO), but thankfully I'm on order's with the National Guard for flight school, so I still have a paycheck.

I worked and/or flew in LE for about 10 years. I left LE and finally tried my take at the airline industry, BIG mistake!!

I hope to be going back to THP, but with budget issues who knows. If anyone knows of any LE hiring, please pass it along. I'm fixed and helo qual'd on several civilian & military airframes.

I'm familiar with the APTAP website and a couple others for job links. I will pass some along as I get them.

Cheers!!

Comment

CBP hires directly to the cockpit...

Comment

yea....I have belonged to ALEA since 2000. I am reaching out to every source available.

I also applied to CBP and haven't heard anything other than my score of a 95. I "heard" that the process is slow and that if you didn't put one of the cities on your dream sheet from which they were hiring then don't expect to hear anything.

Your right, most department's make you do your road time before you join the unit, no matter how much experience you have. I was lucky in the unit that I flew for in that I was transferred to the unit after three month's of being hired. However, I already had flying experience and 6 years on patrol. (plus they needed pilots) This was a great job with plenty of flexibility, but the promotion potential within the unit along with retirement was sad.

The TN Highway Patrol is different, you have to spend a minimum of 3 years as a "road dog" to even apply for Special Operation's. It is competitive, but THP is a GREAT place to work for. However, like every department/agency it has it's flaws.

times are tough.....
                  Speed is life. Altitude is insurance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8114 users online. 387 members and 7727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X