300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any LEO pilots here?

I am trying to break into law enforcement flying (either fixed wing or rotary wing) and was wondering if there are any LEO pilots here. I have contacted a few agencies (LAPD, NYPD, etc) but you have to be a patrol officer first with the respective agency before being eligible to apply for a pilot position which I can understand. I was wondering if there are any agencies where you can go directly to the cockpit following academy training. Our local Sheriff (Hamilton County) hires directly to the cockpit but they do not have any openings at this time.
    Last edited by CincyCop; 03-03-2006, 08:19 PM.
    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

There are some out there

I think Jacksonville PD may. I'm not positive. Question is do you have any flight time now. Just curious. If you have some flight time I think it would be more of a possibility. I'm a Chinook pilot in the Army, but I have an interest in LE, I have my degree in CJ, was looking at LE when I get out.

Comment

Originally posted by blakech47
      I think Jacksonville PD may. I'm not positive. Question is do you have any flight time now. Just curious. If you have some flight time I think it would be more of a possibility. I'm a Chinook pilot in the Army, but I have an interest in LE, I have my degree in CJ, was looking at LE when I get out.
      Greetings, Blake...I'll check out Jacksonville PD. I have not flown since October of 2001 when I was furloughed from Delta Airlines. I have not flown rotary wing since getting off active duty in 1992 as a Navy SH-60B Seahawk pilot so the lack of currency will probably be a problem. I just joined the Civil Air Patrol so that I will be able to get fixed wing current again.

-Collin
      "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Fly!

blakech47, is your intention to go directly to law enforcement flying once off active duty?

-Collin
        "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

I called the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and spoke to a recruiter a few minutes ago. They require at least 2 years on patrol before being eligible for a specialty (pilot) assignment. Kind of interesting...I was trying to find Jacksonville (FL) Police via Google but nothing came up for Jacksonville, FL. The city consolidated their police and sheriff agencies in the late 1960's and operate as the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office so there is no Jacksonville Police so to speak.
          "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Sorry for the misinfo

I kind of remember that about Jacksonville now that you say that. I actually don't plan on going into LE pilot work, at least not right away for sure. Maybe later on. I'm more interested in the investigative/tactical side. We'll see about the flying side later on. I saw a lot of places, there is a aviation law enforcement website somewhere out there, I can get you the link if you give me a day or two, it is a pay website, but they have an enormouse amount of info. I'll get back to you.

Comment

Hey, it's all cool...keep the NR up, bro.

-Collin
              "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

I saw a lot of places, there is a aviation law enforcement website somewhere out there, I can get you the link if you give me a day or two, it is a pay website, but they have an enormouse amount of info. I'll get back to you.
                I'll look as well, Blake. Thanks for the help.

Man, the CH-47 is one big bird...must be a blast to fly.

-Collin
                "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Try this website

Try this website, I found it a few months back it may be helpful to you. Yeah the 47 is a big bird, lots of power to it. I enjoy flying it, rather fly it than any other bird out there. I would like to try the A-star.

http://www.alea.org/

Comment

Try this website, I found it a few months back it may be helpful to you. Yeah the 47 is a big bird, lots of power to it. I enjoy flying it, rather fly it than any other bird out there. I would like to try the A-star.

http://www.alea.org/
                    Many thanks...I'll check that website.

-Collin
                    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Cool pics there...

http://www.alea.org/pics/images/cmpd/CMPD011.jpg
                      "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

When were you hired by Big D? I hope they make it and actually hire again. I'm from ATL and live there. I started reading this forum not long ago because I'm thinking about jumping ship from aviation, even though I still love driving airplanes for a living. I'm a commuter and I probably average 10-12 nights a month at home. I have always been interested in LE and actually went through the process w/ the City of Atlanta and the City of Roswell, Ga and was hired by both, but I decided to stick with flying. This has been several yrs ago. I'm ready to be home more. If I decide to go this route I want to go Federal LE only. I'm well under 37 (just turned 30)so I still have quite a while to find the job that I want. Anyways I hope you find a job in LE that involves flying. Checkout this site http://aptap.forumco.com/default.asp
                        It's run by one of my buddies in Atlanta from the Army. There is lot's of ex-army rotorheads that are also duel rated trying to get into ICE as pilots. Check it out, great place to network.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab_Pilot
                          When were you hired by Big D? I hope they make it and actually hire again. I'm from ATL and live there. I started reading this forum not long ago because I'm thinking about jumping ship from aviation, even though I still love driving airplanes for a living. I'm a commuter and I probably average 10-12 nights a month at home. I have always been interested in LE and actually went through the process w/ the City of Atlanta and the City of Roswell, Ga and was hired by both, but I decided to stick with flying. This has been several yrs ago. I'm ready to be home more. If I decide to go this route I want to go Federal LE only. I'm well under 37 (just turned 30)so I still have quite a while to find the job that I want. Anyways I hope you find a job in LE that involves flying. Checkout this site http://aptap.forumco.com/default.asp
                          It's run by one of my buddies in Atlanta from the Army. There is lot's of ex-army rotorheads that are also duel rated trying to get into ICE as pilots. Check it out, great place to network.
                          Greetings...I was hired by Delta in March of 2001 then furloughed November of 2001 due to operational cuts following 9-11. I am about 290 numbers from recall but the recall temporarily ceased last fall after chapter 11. I feel your pain regarding the commute...I only did it for 4 months from CVG to ATL before being 727 based in CVG for the last 4 months at Delta. I decided after being furloughed to give LE a shot since I have always had an interest in it. Yes, one of the nice things is that you are home more with LE but I do miss flying. If you decide to go FLE best of luck with the pursuit and THANK YOU for that link.

Do you fly the Saab 340? Which airline?
                          Last edited by CincyCop; 05-21-2006, 04:37 PM. Reason: text addition
                          "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

I fly the Saab 340 for Colgan Air. We are US Air Express, United Express and CAL Connection. www.colganair.com

Who did you fly before Delta? I would guess you needed to build your fix wing time somewhere. Anyways I will check back later. I just did a horrible CDO overnight, we got less than 3 hours sleep and had to divert on the one leg back in this morning due to the weather being less than 1200 RVR.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab_Pilot
                              I fly the Saab 340 for Colgan Air. We are US Air Express, United Express and CAL Connection. www.colganair.com

Who did you fly before Delta? I would guess you needed to build your fix wing time somewhere. Anyways I will check back later. I just did a horrible CDO overnight, we got less than 3 hours sleep and had to divert on the one leg back in this morning due to the weather being less than 1200 RVR.
                              Ah yes...the continuous duty overnight (CDO)...I remember those at Comair. I flew for Comair for 6 years (building 121 turbine/jet fixed wing time) just prior to getting hired at Delta. Started at Comair in '94 as an FO in the SA227 (Metroliner) and left in early '01 as an RJ Captain with about 1200 hours PIC in the RJ.
                              "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5761 users online. 205 members and 5556 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X