300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Investigators?

I have a simple question, yet have found few answers...
    Who investigates human rights violations? IE Religious persecution, war crimes, sex trafficking of minors etc. I realize this isnt specific to police work per se, but the principals are the same.
    Would this be something found in the State Dept, UN, NGOs...CIA? Ive gone to each group's sites several times, but have found their info to be a bit vague... Anyone here that works for the Fed, or an NGO got some input on this?

I know that Interpol investigates some of those crimes, specifically human trafficking. Check their website at www.interpol.com for more information on what they specifically do.

War crimes are usually investigated and prosecuted by specific groups set up for the specific incident at hand...for example the "War tribunal" or "The Hague". You can google war crimes investigations for a ton of answers I'm sure.

I believe religious persecution would fall upon whatever government jurisdiction the crime occurs in. I'm pretty sure the FBI handles that here in the U.S. although somebody here might correct me.

I hope this helps you some.

Gibbmusic
    Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Interpol does not have arrest powers. Think of them as a clearing house of information. When they get information about the location of a suspect they alert the local police agency to effect the arrest.
      As far as I know Interpol does not have any investigators.

Comment

I left out something from the above post.
        I saw a special, Discovery Chan maybe, about the mass murders in Rwanda in the 1990's.
        It explained that "The Hague" was created when Belgium changed its laws to allow anyone, in any country, to file charges against someone for human rights violations in Belgium courts.
        Based on that I guess the national/federal police of Belgium would be the investigators, assisted by the UN.

Comment

The UN has their own 1811, Criminal Investigators to cover the scope or jurisdiction of the UN, but this is more related to an OPR fashion, along with investigations into the members maybe. They do not have international police powers. No executive agency technically has jurisdiction outside the US. Interpol is run through the Department of Justice.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys
            Related question, within the US govt, who monitors HR violations abroad? I would guess the State Dept, but I dont really hear much about 1811s coming out of there. So then Id say CIA, but my understanding there function is assisting/carrying out US foreign policy and intl security... Do we have folks who are undercover to monitor say freedom of speech in taiwan, or Christian minorities in Iran etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent00Latin
              Do we have folks who are undercover to monitor say freedom of speech in taiwan, or Christian minorities in Iran etc?
              You are asking if the U.S. has folks in those places? Those would be spies (officers and agents), not investigators.

With respect to your original question the majority of those types of human rights, genocide, and other investigations get started in the UN and actual investigation typically gets farmed out to member nations who then report back to the UN committee that initiated the investigation.

There are all kinds to non government organizations that do stuff like that. A prominent group in the states is the Simon Wiesenthal Center. They/He started by hunting Nazi's but progressed into investigating all kinds of human rights stuff.

Human trafficking of minors in the sex industry is investigated by ICE and FBI here. They routine indict americans and foreigners who engage in this behavior.
              If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Who investigates? Sean Penn, Richard Geer, and the other loud-mouth hollywood types on their fact finding missions.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) has its own investigators. These people are usually seconded from their home force. I believe that Americans have worked for ICTY and I find it unlikely that those Americans' home police force is paying their salary. In short there is a gap in my information about the details.

The UN also has a security section. My understanding is that they handle preimarily internal investigat(IA type work), fraud against the UN, and physical security.

Most federal agencies have positions overseas, and many/most federal agents I have known have worked overseas at some point. I have heard that NYPD even has a handful of officers posted overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent00Latin
                    I have a simple question, yet have found few answers...
                    Who investigates human rights violations? IE Religious persecution, war crimes, sex trafficking of minors etc. I realize this isnt specific to police work per se, but the principals are the same.
                    Would this be something found in the State Dept, UN, NGOs...CIA? Ive gone to each group's sites several times, but have found their info to be a bit vague... Anyone here that works for the Fed, or an NGO got some input on this?
                    ICE investigates all these. Obviously, war criminals aren't prosecuted for their war crimes here, but they're usually charged with falsifying information on their immigration paperwork, and deported back to the jurisdiction where their crimes were committed. Also, ICE investigates all manner of human trafficking - labor, sex, etc.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3795 users online. 267 members and 3528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X