300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major

What is the best major for an LE career? I was thinking psych but i think i would be bored out of my mind.
    R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Ummm, I might be going out on a limb here, but Criminal Justice??
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by COASTIE01
      What is the best major for an LE career? I was thinking psych but i think i would be bored out of my mind.
      Anything, really. Pretty much anything can come in handy at some point in you career. Throw in some 2nd language classes if you can, especially spanish.
      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

I've heard two major things about majors...

Always major in what intrests you, it would be better for them to see you with a 4.0 in History than a 2.1 in Pysch.

The other thing, take english courses, businesses as well as stations are pumping in a ton of money to teach old people how to read and write correctly. And if you don't believe me, just look around on this forum.

I'm not an officer, and I can't say for sure what they do in there day to day work, but I imagine they use english alot.

Comment

Originally posted by COASTIE01
          Do a search on here. This same topic has been covered over and over again. What is it that you want out of LE? Do you want to work Patrol your whole career? Do you want to move up in the ranks? Do you want to be an Investigator? Those are the things you have to consider when looking for a Major in college. If you want to go Federal, I would stay away from a CJ degree, well even as a regular beat cop, I would also! Major in something that can be used for when you retire or if you get hurt on the job and have to retire early. Then you have something to fall back on. A CJ degree...well like I said, do a search and you will find loads of info about what degree/major to run after.

If you choose Pysch...do CJ as a minor, etc...
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Any liberal arts degree would be greatly beneficial. Departments are looking for intelligent, analytical, and articulate candidates. With that said stay away from Criminal Justice. Management, English, History, Sociology, Criminology, and Finance are all great options. I would definitely look into some Spanish even if you are not required to take it for graduation. You can use it as elective courses in most programs. As far as CJ, you will learn everything you need to know about that in the academy, and in training. If you are looking for a Masters and want to stay in law enforcement, I would highly recommend Public Adminstration. Hope that helps.
            "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6590 users online. 383 members and 6207 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X