300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got hired...first attempt.

I have been coming to this forum for over a year but have only posted a couple of times. Just wanted to say that I have just been hired by an agency in Texas. I graduate from the academy in a week and a half and I'm so grateful that I found a job before the academy is over. I got a lot of advice from this site and it helped a lot. I made it through all the phases and did really well in my first oral board. I start the very first day after graduation. I was EXTREMELY skeptical about getting a job my first time attempt but I prepared myself and it worked. Anyway, thanks for all of the good advice.
    "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for Sega."

It is those like you who make me sick ... first time and all .

Just kidding, congratulations. Remember to keep it safe.
    Smile, It could be worse!

Comment

congrats! any pointers for the people who have to try a few times?:P haha good luck!

Comment

w/c agency hired you?

Comment

Congrats! Good luck!

Comment

I was upfront with past marijuana use (4 years ago), and I lost almost 20 pounds in the academy getting ready for all the PT tests. When it was time for my oral board, I mentally prepared an opening statement, a closing statement, and had points that I made sure I tied in with their questions. I also went over anything that could be viewed as negative in my past beforehand, and was prepared to address those issues. Afterwards, one of the panelists told me that one of the reasons I got the job was I looked very calm and composed, which I wasn't on the inside. I would say that there are no tricks to it, just be forthcoming and prepared.

Comment

Well done ATX. Congratulations. BTW, I understand Austin is a wonderful city. I have to plan a visit some day.

SDT
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I hate people like you!!!! I wish you the best luck in LE. I on the other hand will keep on trying....

Comment

what agency did you get on with?

Comment

Austin ISD Police Dept. My shift will be 12 noon to 8:30 Monday through Friday. Can't beat that I guess. And yes, Austin is a great city. Been here for a little over 2 years.

Comment

Bravo

Congrats on your success. What this new officer learned that many lack is he learned how to take a LEO oral board. For most agencies the oral board is 100% of your score to get hired.

Bottom line most candidates don't do enough interviewing to get good at it. This is also true for any job interview. You've got around 20 minutes for a 25+ year career. How are you going to stun the oral board panel to convince them to give you the badge over the other candidates?

If you're passing the written and agility, which are usually pass/fail, and you're not placing high enough on the oral, that's where the problem exists. What most candidates do if they don't place high enough on the oral is go back and try to pack on more credentials.
                      "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6700 users online. 360 members and 6340 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X